Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DKOV - Wheel Spacers

DKOV - Wheel Spacers

DKOV, I was just taking my weekly look at your site to see if there are any updates. Anyway, I wanted to know what you're using for your wheel spacer/hub solution.

Fiero wheels:

355 OEM's:

Re:DKOV - Wheel Spacers

What's funny is that both of those pictures is with the stock Fiero Suspension in place... NOT the wide track. So the final stance is still off a bit.

Even so....

The First pic is of the stock setup with a 17 inch wheel at the same offset as a stock Fiero rim. The Second picture has the hug abapted but only enough of a spacer/adapter to bring the wheel back to the same offset as a Fiero Wheel.

The spacing to bring the wheel out to the well is done with the suspension. So, you're only seeing HALF of the solution there.

Anyway, I had built some spacer/adapters because in doing the research I found that spacing a wheel out trashes on your bearings while using just the suspension to adjust the width will ALSO trash the bearings do to the extreme differences in offset between the wheels.

So, I calculated the difference in offset and added that material in to bring the bearing loads back to center. While I was there, I might as well adapt the bolt pattern from 5x100 to 5x108 for the Ferrari Wheel.

The spacer is so thin that you can't even see it back there. Due to the differnece in wheel width and increased offset, the rear spacer is a bit wider but not much.

In both cases, the brakes are nice and close to the wheel face where they are supposed to be, not 8 inches back... typically so far that they are actually NOT even IN the wheel!!! Ugly!!!

In addition, the F355 wheels are a DEEP BORE wheel for the factory Lug BOLT, not studs. Consequently, the new adapters needed to have 3.25 inch studs installed to clear the wheel bores. I chose Moroso Drag Racing Hardened wheel studs for this. The Nurl was critical as was the strength of the stud, but they are stronger than stock and just the right sizes. Took me a few days to track them down too

I am thinking about carrying these spacer/adapters with Studs and base lugs as a kit. That way folks can pick up the CORRECT solution for their car and have a nice clean look when installed.

I hope that answers your question.

Best,

DKOV -

Scott:

Do you have a part number for the longer studs?

Did you use special nuts on the rims or just stock custom wheel cap nuts?

I found the same challenges in mounting my wheels to my car and believe we have had lengthy discussion on the topic. I used a stud from an S-10 front wheel hub from a 4X4. They are made by Dorman and have 323 stamped on the back of them.

I thought it would be nice to share the stud information with the forum. Please feel free to add your information as well.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Here is the guy I have used for several years and never had any problems. They make the wheel adapters out of billet aluminum up to 2 inches thick. All work is performed on a CNC machine, they do business world wide.

Contact Information:

Wheel Works
    4302 East 10th Avenue, Suite 105
    Tampa, Florida 33605
    Main Number (813) 241-4505
    Fax Number (813) 241-4605

Ask for Mario

They provide some good quality and safe parts. I normally spend $200 for a set of 4 wheel adapters. Turn around time is normally 5 business days. Tell him Dave Newman sent you.

Regards,

Dave

DKOV (or Scott?) - You da man. Thanks for the insight.

$200, plus studs, plus base nuts plus wheel nuts... You'd better double that price.

No, the stock Fiero nuts will not work. They are to tall and a bit to thick. I don't have the part numbe for these base nuts that hold the adapter to the hub. I'll look for the part number for the Moroso studs in my note book. They were nearly $30 per set of 5 though, I remember that. In addition, the adapters came in at just about $300 with the base studs. Precision ground CNC'd, hub centric and a perfect fit.

DKOV -

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji
    DKOV (or Scott?) - You da man. Thanks for the insight.
    Same same and you are welcome.

DKOV -

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Tell him Dave Newman sent you.
    Last time I said that (to Ted Rutland & Chris) they replied "who?"

DKOV -

Guys:

By the Way, The wheel adapters I mentioned are from a CNC machine and are at a special price if you mention this web forum and Dave Newman. They will put in the studs if you send them to them first.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Wow... a special "Dave Discount". I guess I can't compete with that. I guess I never would have thought I would be competing with that... Oh well...

I guess your options are to do your own research, buy your own studs, buy your own nuts, pay shipping to "Dave's Buddy", figure the correct spacing for your particulat application, buy those spacer/adapters, have your studs installed by them, pay shipping back to you and hope for the best.

Or, buy a complete solution at once.

It's really up to you.

DKOV -