Thread: Does the year fiero really matter?

Does the year fiero really matter?

If one is going to change over to a wide track suspension, does the year fiero really matter. Isnt the only difference between a 88 model and earlier models the suspension? p/s my AD spyder should be ready to pick up from JW today. It wasa delayed a week because of his other projects......

Re:Does the year fiero really matter?

the 88 model does have a differnet suspension and also a different engine craddle but everything else is pretty much the same. Another thing to watch out for is the engine and tranny. The 87 / 88 v6 is fuel injected and comes with 5 speed for a manual tranny while the other years only have a 4 speed. If you are planning on using the Fiero engine then I would suggest the 87/88 with the V6 as this will give you the most horsepower (125 I think). If you are going to replace the engine for a 3800 or a V8 than any year / model will work for you.

Thanks Glenn, thats what I needed to know. If you are going to do a engine/ suspension swap, any year will do.

I am hearing many bad things on this fourm about making up the width diference with wheel spacers. If I understand correctly the way to go for an everyday driver is to swap out the stock suspension for the wide track suspension, and use a smaller wheel spacer.

Boomer,

Your first question... does the year really matter?

Answer: Not if you have the money

When converting the older Fieros to the side track, you almost HAVE TO HAVE the bump steer kit as well. Something you do NOT need with an 88. That gives the earlier cars another expense the 88s don't have.

Also, the earlier year fieros must replace the full steering subframe to work correctly while the 88s will just take a set of arms. Anotehr added expense for the early cars.

The 88 subframe for the engie cradle is built differetnly and will take more in terms of motor as well.

The front spidles of the early year cars are thinner and smaller. If you update the brakes, the likelyhood of the front spindles failing or snappig of is greatly INCREASED and we know you have to change the brakes because they stink on the early cars for the very same reason. Another point for the 88.

Your second question... Wide track plus spacers?

You are accurate in that assessment. The first point is where is the bearing stress on the wheel bearings? They were designed for a equal stress load based on the offset of the Fiero wheel... to much positive or vegative offset and you wear on them unevenly and cause early (or in the case of kit cars INSTANT) failure. I know of one car (for sale on this forum) that replaced three sets of front bearings and two sets of rear bearings in less than a year! It needs a new set in the rear by the way...

Whatever you choose wheelwise, you need to get the bearing loads even again THEN measure the distance for the wide track to make up the space.

In general terms, if you are using an 88 Fiero with real F355 rims, you are looking at a difference of about 3/4 of an inch in front and 1 1/8 inch in the rear. I can give that to youmore precisely as I measured and built in mm, but you get the general idea.

With this correction, the bearings are guarenteed a long and productive life. Plus you have the added benefit on NOT seeing the spacers and the wheels/brakes look correct.

As for clearance.... I have ZERO issues with this setup. The wheels/tires clear the Koni Coil-over and leave enough space for deflection. Everything works just fine.

The spacers themselves give you the opportunity to convert the bolt pattern as well to the needed 5x108 for the Ferrari wheel. There is not alot of room in either spacer for the conversion because they are so thin. BUT if done right, there is PLENTY. The right nuts and studs are a big part of this.

I know that Dave will have some snappy comment about his needing more or less or something... but keep in mind that he is NOT using the Fiero hubs so the offsets are ALREADY different due to different bearing assemblies, mount points and face mount position. Those numbers are not a direct translation.

Best of luck,

DKOV -