Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need your thoughts and opinions on this

need your thoughts and opinions on this

So I daily drive a 99 grand prix coupe. Then I started thinking I wonder if I would be able to make look like something a little more exotic. Then as I thought about it I saw that it was similar to one vehicle in particular that is both sporty and somewhat rare. I'm not going to mention the name just because I know based from current members and their past experiences with the company its best to leave the name out of it as best you can.

the dimension spec comparison between them

1999 grand prix coupe height: 54.7 length: 196.5 wheelbase:110.5 width: 72.7

(2008 model gt) height: 54.7 length: 189.3 wheelbase: 108.1 width: 75.4

(2014 model gt) height: 55.3 length: 189.2 wheelbase: 108.1 width: 76.5

So what are everyone's thoughts aside from the "you'll get sued part?"

thanks to arashb for the photo comparison
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First off - they're not going to sue you for a one off car. Start a manufacturing business, and that's another story.

Beyond that, I don't think the idea's bad. But I think a Mustang GT would be a much better donor. I know the appeal is because you have the car already, but if you're going to invest all that time, energy, and money, you may as well start with a good product to begin with. If you're on a budget, the 94-99 Mustangs have that same general roofline. Of course the 2005+ have better performance, and likely lower mileage.

the wheel base would be 7 inches off with the older mustangs, and the new one is still a bit out of my price range. Although I do agree that it would be nice performance wise to have something with more balls. However I've seen some gtp's move out pretty good not to mention replacement parts are still very cheap as well. Oh and you definitely hit it on the head with in being very appealing since I already have the vehicle.

what about using a 2005+ pontiac GTO , 108 inch wheelbase , RWD , V8 with lots of go faster bits available

The donor car is the least expensive part of a build - the body , the paint , the rims even the lighting will cost more than the junky donor cars most people use

The biggest pitfall to building kit cars is putting $20-40k in mods on a worn out $1000 donor car. You are asking for trouble . Start with the best possible donor - light cosmetic damage is ok since you'll be removing body parts , but an old high mileage car ready for the junkyard makes a terrible donor

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    The donor car is the least expensive part of a build - the body , the paint , the rims even the lighting will cost more than the junky donor cars most people use

The biggest pitfall to building kit cars is putting $20-40k in mods on a worn out $1000 donor car. You are asking for trouble . Start with the best possible donor - light cosmetic damage is ok since you'll be removing body parts , but an old high mileage car ready for the junkyard makes a terrible donor
    The only parts left from my "junky donor car" are the frame and wiring harness. Drivetrain, suspension and brakes are all different. The Fiero has one of the best, safest frames available. It was ahead of it's time. I admit that I am a Fiero fan and I own several others including roadsters and a turbo N* Fiero. Obviously I have a bias.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbrit2 View Post
    what about using a 2005+ pontiac GTO , 108 inch wheelbase , RWD , V8 with lots of go faster bits available
    would love that as a base, however finding a wrecked one is difficult and I can't justify buying a 10,000 vehicle only to chop it up to make a vehicle that you can buy the actual one for 60,000

Yea agree to what cutlass said. You are basically starting a major mod to an existing donor and the work involved is never ending unless you have a clear plan to splash the body of a car you want to build up to. Even after slashing a body the work involved is quite extensive regarding laying glass, sanding and more sanding, primers and paints, interior mods to match the new body style, rims tires spacers.

Just take a nice donor you already like and make some manageable changes (tuning it) like grill and lights change, hood mods, maybe some front and side spoilers and ground effects, nice paint and rims. It will not be a replica of an exotic but will be a unique car.

I guess one could buy the Sebring replica kit and modify the length to fit the Grand Prix... the original mold creator may want royalties for this ... and to keep it cheap you can keep the donors roof.
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Quote Originally Posted by dratts1 View Post
    The only parts left from my "junky donor car" are the frame and wiring harness. Drivetrain, suspension and brakes are all different. The Fiero has one of the best, safest frames available. It was ahead of it's time. I admit that I am a Fiero fan and I own several others including roadsters and a turbo N* Fiero. Obviously I have a bias.
    This thread is about a Bentley replica , which uses the stock drivetrain , suspension and everything . Its basically just a body kit bonded on a donor car , which is why its so important to start with a great donor .

Murci replicas are different , if you are basically just using the wiring harness and frame / and totally changing drivetrain and suspension