Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do people ask you?

What do people ask you?

I'm looking at possibly buying my first kit car. Since I was a teen in the late 80's I have loved the lines of Ferrari, but as a 40-something single-income dad, I probably won't ever be able to afford a real one. That's fine with me. I want something I can drive daily, not something to look at in my garage museum.

Anyway, I'm curious. Those of you who have a "Faux-rari", with all the badges, what is your experience like? Do people come oup to see the car when you stop for fuel / food? Do they ask "is it real?" Does anyone give you grief for it not being a real Italian supercar, or do they just think it's cool?

Anyone who knows me will know I don't have the $$$,$$$ for a "real" Ferrari. So, I'm thinking through what daily-life ownership will be like.

Kitcars are like wigs, you only spot the bad ones

Ive never had anybody come up to me and ask if my car was real lol. I have had a lot of loser smart-@sses drive up alongside me and ask if how much I rented the car for though, those are usually the guys with girls in their car trying to act like big guys with their mustangs and Camaro's. I always look at them and ask them how much the girl rents for hourly.
    Last edited by murcie-me; 03-15-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Murci-me's car is one of the most exact replicas out there. few kit owners will have such a close
    Match to the real car.

I have a 355 replica , not the most accurate , but it fools 99% of people . I get thumbs up and asked to take pictures next to it. Most people are very nice .

Car guys will instantly know its a replica , and at car shows they can see the interior is not the same as a real Ferrari
    I never try to pass it off as a real Ferrari and haven't heard any negative comments . I actually get told its a very good replica as it fooled them at first
    Last edited by cutlass442; 03-15-2016 at 10:46 PM.

When I'm driving my 430 running an errand, stopping for fuel and etc. A lot of people stop by and look and take photos. I don't bother explaining the car wasn't built at the Ferrari factory.

At what few car shows I have been at. I usually have to convince on lookers it's not an authentic car. That starts an entirely new conversation. Most true car guys appreciate looking at a car that wasn't built at the factory but in a simple 2 car garage at home. Most get blown away by that. If you have the money to spend, anyone can by a real Ferrari. Not many can build their own.

When talking to many these so called car guys. They brag about how they restored their muscle car. Although by talking with them you discover the body and paint was done at a paint shop, the interior was done by an upholster and most of the drive drain was done by some machine shop. I call these kind of car guys - sub contractors.

I have a replica 25th Countach and love driving it every where. You have to be able to take the good with the bad. If the kit is 70% accurate or better, most people will think the car is real.

Once I parked at Home Depot and as I was walking back to the car I heard two teenagers bad mouthing the owner for "showing off", by taking the car to Home Depot.

Another time I parked at Wendy's and was quietly enjoying my lunch, when a guy that just spent 10 minutes looking at the car walks in and says at the top of his lungs "I HAVE TO KNOW, WHO DROVE A LAMBORGHINI TO WENDY'S?" I felt awkward. Everyone in Wendy's was looking out the window and wanted to know? In my grubby jeans and ripped T shirt I raised my hand and said IT'S A REPLICA! Which lead to a lot of questions and good comments.
    Last edited by falzonmotorsports; 03-16-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Just wanted to add, I totally agree with MacGyver's comments.

It's one thing to buy a car and maintain it, another to restore one, and yet another to modify a hod rod or street rod. Building (I use the word building, not assembling) a replica is one of the most difficult projects to complete. It takes a lot of ingenuity and persistence. I have the utmost respect for anyone that actually finishes one.

Quote Originally Posted by murcie-me View Post
    Kitcars are like wigs, you only spot the bad ones

Ive never had anybody come up to me and ask if my car was real lol. I have had a lot of loser smart-@sses drive up alongside me and ask if how much I rented the car for though, those are usually the guys with girls in their car trying to act like big guys with their mustangs and Camaro's. I always look at them and ask them how much the girl rents for hourly.
    Now that's just funny right there... dangerous perhaps, but funny!

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    Murci-me's car is one of the most exact replicas out there. few kit owners will have such a close
    Match to the real car.
    Don (I think that's the right person) has an amazing 308. I read his entire build diary. Incredible attention to detail, hours of work. Now I'm curious about Murci-Me's car, and your car... going to see if you guys have a build diary too.

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    I have a 355 replica , not the most accurate , but it fools 99% of people . I get thumbs up and asked to take pictures next to it. Most people are very nice .

Car guys will instantly know its a replica , and at car shows they can see the interior is not the same as a real Ferrari
    I never try to pass it off as a real Ferrari and haven't heard any negative comments . I actually get told its a very good replica as it fooled them at first
    I haven't been here long. I don't think I have seen pix of cars from anyone except Don's 308. lol

I think it is pretty cool that you put your car in shows. Are these like local, small-town, July 4th Main Street shows, or are these big shows?

I first discovered "kit cars" because I loved Miami Vice as a teenage boy in the late 80's... That show had so many amazing vehicles. A friend told me that Crockett's car was a "Faux-rrari kit car"...

"What the heck is a 'kit car' ?"

After he told me about it, I found Kit Car Magazine, and fell in love with the idea. KCM always had photos of all these kit cars in a huge annual car show at Knott's Berry Farm. Maybe they still do? Anyway, I never got to go to the show, but I bet it would have been awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    When I'm driving my 430 running an errand, stopping for fuel and etc. A lot of people stop by and look and take photos. I don't bother explaining the car wasn't built at the Ferrari factory.

At what few car shows I have been at. I usually have to convince on lookers it's not an authentic car. That starts an entirely new conversation. Most true car guys appreciate looking at a car that wasn't built at the factory but in a simple 2 car garage at home. Most get blown away by that. If you have the money to spend, anyone can by a real Ferrari. Not many can build their own.

When talking to many these so called car guys. They brag about how they restored their muscle car. Although by talking with them you discover the body and paint was done at a paint shop, the interior was done by an upholster and most of the drive drain was done by some machine shop. I call these kind of car guys - sub contractors.
    Your car must be pretty accurate also. I'm going to be looking for forum threads on everyone of you guys cars now. I'm not going to get any work done today. lol

I like your point about "anyone with money can buy... not many can build..." There must be a real pride of ownership, because it's not just "a car". I would think it represents "a car", but also memories, pride of "I built that", and time doing something you care about.

I don't have the money to hire out the work, but I also don't have the time or space to do a full build myself. I have basic tools, and a basic understanding of car maintenance. I do basic work, but trannys, overhauls, fiberglass... yeah, not so much. I tried doing fiberglass 30 years ago as a teen. I tried to build a dash for my car in the drive way ... that resin probably still hasn't hardened. lol

At this stage in life, I'm planning to buy a finished (or nearly finished) kit.

Quote Originally Posted by falzonmotorsports View Post
    I have a replica 25th Countach and love driving it every where. You have to be able to take the good with the bad. If the kit is 70% accurate or better, most people will think the car is real.
    Is it as accurate as this Countach?

I do want a kit that is reasonably accurate. Not a 100/100... 100 MPH from 100 feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by falzonmotorsports View Post
    Once I parked at Home Depot and as I was walking back to the car I heard two teenagers bad mouthing the owner for "showing off", by taking the car to Home Depot.

Another time I parked at Wendy's and was quietly enjoying my lunch, when a guy that just spent 10 minutes looking at the car walks in and says at the top of his lungs "I HAVE TO KNOW, WHO DROVE A LAMBORGHINI TO WENDY'S?" I felt awkward. Everyone in Wendy's was looking out the window and wanted to know? In my grubby jeans and ripped T shirt I raised my hand and said IT'S A REPLICA! Which lead to a lot of questions and good comments.
    Good response! You probably looked like an eccentric millionaire... driving a Lambo in grubby jeans and ripped t-shirt. lol

I know a guy like that. He has an NSX, and a couple of years ago, had a real Lambo... I think it was a Diablo? Not really into Lambos, so the Countach is the only body style I know by sight.

Anyway, just a very down to earth "country boy". He likes fast cars, but he doesn't drive them fast, lives out in the country surrounded by wildlife, is really into firearms but doesn't hunt or have any "huntin' guns", and would give you the shirt off his back if you were in need. After serving in the Army, he developed a very successful invention, and became pretty wealthy. However, if you just saw him in town, you would never know he had money.