Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the kit car world

Okay, wow, I'm just giving up now............LOL 8-).

O.D... I'm building an F355 replica with a pre-formed fibreglass body on an extensively self-modified Fiero chassis, and have spent roughly 3500 hours on it over the past 7 years. I'm a retired military aerospace engineer with better than average building skills, lots of electrical & mechanical experience, lots of space, ample money, all the tools, and tons of free time. I have about two more years to go at the rate I'm progressing.

Have a look at my website https://bloozeown.weebly.com/ to compare what I've done to what you think you can do based on your own available time, skill set, money, space, and tools to judge for yourself whether it'll take you more or less time to build a "simple" kit car. Recall, the F355 isn't a "super car", doesn't have a tubular chassis, and someone else spent thousands of hours creating a fibreglass body shell for it. Then take whatever time figure you estimate it would take you to arrive at the same phase as I am currently at, and multiply that by a factor of at least two to build a custom tubular chassis and design and build your own custom body. Keep in mind any skills you don't already have, will take you twice as long to learn, or cost you $60/hr to have someone else do the work for you.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I just want to be sure you're looking at information from actual builders, not from companies trying to market their wares. There's a lot of deception in the marketing of kit cars & replicas. If they were as easy and affordable to build as they allude, there would be many more on the streets than you see. The reality is they are a poor investment, a labour of love, attract negative attention once the "jig is up", and take way more work than even veteran builders usually estimate. If you're still interested after you've digested all of this, then I'll be here to help you.

There are companies such as Factory Five that have excellent starter 'full kits' available. They even have courses you can attend, so that you are pre-armed with some knowledge of how to overcome the challenges.

This doesn't mean it will give you all the skills - think throwing clay pots - we've all seen it done, but it takes a hell of a lot of experience to get something more than an average pot or ashtray. Many car build things are the same. Welding, painting, body work, GRP work, foam carving, geometry of suspension, working doors and windows, electrics, interiors, air con - to name a few!

Something else to consider would be a re-body kit. Something like tribute automotive. There you take an existing car and put new panels on it.

I've built a few kits in my time - with differeing levels of help and owned a number of 'completed' kits and I wouldn't undertake a car from scratch. I have a 9 - 5, so it probably wouldn't get finished before I was in my wooden box.

For a while I considered making my own body kit, (rebody) and even spoke to some possible suppliers as to what level of help they could give.

I ended up with an early '70s Porsche 911 project as while I enjoy my garage time, spending so much money on something that might not work out, just wasn't going to happen.

So now I have a daily, a P project car and a kit car I assembled - with a good chunk of help.

One final thought that may help you understand and see if this is for you; take a panel from your daily driver and make a replacement in a new style that needs brackets etc to make functional. Add some electrical element to it and see how you get on. That will give you a quick taste of what a bigger 'complete' car might hold in store!

Failing that, just go for it and prove these guys wrong!

In 1996 I had never built a Kit Car before ! I had pretty good Mechanical skills but never worked in the auto industry. I am not an engineer and I do Not have a college degree BUT I bought my first Factory Five Cobra kit. Factory five has a great product and has a very detailed assembly manual and I was able to build my first FFR in 8 weeks in my spare time . I really enjoyed building the car and I spent lots of evenings working in my heated garage. I did not do any of the body work or paint. I sent it off to a friend that had a body shop, I was able to visit his shop and he showed me what they needed to do and how to do it. The Cobra replica was a lot of Fun to drive and you get lots of attention when you go to fill-up with gas. One time I was filling it up and a guy came up to me and asked for a ride. I gave him about a 5 mile ride and he was hooked ! He offered me a great price on the car and I sold it to him. I took his money and Ordered my second kit and built my car in about the same amount of time. I still had the body work and paint done at my friends shop and had it painted Viper Blue with Pearl white stripes. When I had it finished I took it to the same Gas station next to the interstate and a truck driver came over to me and asked me if I would consider selling it. He came by the house later that day, drove it and paid me a deposit. I delivered it to his house about 500 miles away the following weekend and I started on my 3rd Cobra replica. It was the best thing I had ever done , and I still enjoy building Replicas, re-body's and one of a kind cars. GO FOR IT ! !

***** I just noticed that you are leaning towards a lambo style car , but if you would start with an easy kit like the FFR , you can get some knowledge with the ffr and and maybe move on to the more complicated exotics for a second try. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Building a FFR is like building a full scale Model out of a box of parts. Read the instruction 2 or 3 times before you start a particular assembly the give it a try. If you do not like getting Greasy from used parts and road dirt, Start with a new , Clean FFR kit .
    Last edited by fauxknowitall; 02-04-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Things that would work for me & would make me happy.

I want a supercar/exotic body/looks for my car.
    I want a cheap complete car to start with.(Toyota mr2 spyder, mid-engined car).
    I want to be fast but not superfast.200-250hp.Enough for me.
    I want a lightweight car.Below 1000kg(2200 pounds).
    I want things to be simple.Simplify as much as possible.For me, less is more.
    I want a car for (if possible) daily use.
    Lightweight car, small reliable engine with easy ways to make some more hp & torque.
    Same wheelbase with F40 & Countach.Will do for me.No chassis stretch.
    Do not over-complicate, over-engineer things.

Beware.Those things will make ME happy.Most people need more than that & thats fine...

Find what works for YOU & give it a try...

Fun fact.The guy in the photo is 5'6".Someone will get the joke...

I hear all you guys, also believe you, and you might have to tell me "I told you so!" one day.

I'm gonna be hard headed...

Fixed it for you...

Quote Originally Posted by IKAROS View Post
    Fun fact.The guy in the photo is 4'6". Someone will get the joke...

Quote Originally Posted by O.D. View Post
    I'm gonna be hard headed...

Then we wish you luck and if you post your progress pics we will help at every step of the way
    You might want to read all 18 pages of this thread , it's the only person to build a Lamborghini Aventador inspired body from scratch and turn it into a finished driving car
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...dor-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozberry View Post
    Fixed it for you...
    Hahahaha....I knew you would think something funny as a reply Dave...