Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the kit car world

New to the kit car world

Hello everyone!

I am new to this kit car world, but I have been thinking about it, and very interested in it for the passed 7-8 years. I have tried on and off to get any helpful info on building my own kit car, but I just have not been convinced by what I have found online. I was told about this site, and I see hard evidence now of actual people doing the projects themselves...I'm sold

I have no experience at all in what I am thinking about doing, but I do have friends that can definitely help me. I'm truly fascinated by the pictures I have seen of people in this site actually building cars literally from scratch! From the chassis plans to building the actual body this is actually amazing! I can't think of anything cooler lol

Can anyone recommend me any type lambo chassis plans? I found a guy in finland that is selling his plans for $1,500
    this is his FB page https://www.facebook.com/sportni.koli.3 anyone know him?

What am I talking about...the guy in finland is the one that told me about this site. You guys should know him I'm guessing. What I'm trying to do is get informed as much as I can before starting this project.

The people building chassis and bodies from scratch are highly experienced and have built many cars before

It is simply not going to be a fun experience to try this for your first experience , you will invest tens of thousands of dollars and most likely need to abandon the project .

are you wanting to build a replica of a Lamborghini style car ?
    What country are you in ?
    What is your budget ?
    There's very few people selling Lamborghini bodies these days
    And building one from scratch as your first try will simply not turn out a Usable quality body

If you have a $60,000-80,000 budget , you can build your own custom chassis
    But if you don't have that budget just
    Start with a fiero or mr2 and stretch it to fit the body. Start with a good running car so you'll have a good running chassis

Ok perfect! First of all thanks for replying!! Quick question, so what you're telling me is that just the chassis alone would cost 60-80k, is that correct?

I'm in Chicago IL, and I'm not here to compete with anyone, or try to diminish anyones work, I just want to learn, and I think this is the right place for me to learn. I understand that this is not something that I can just get into, and do right the first time, or even the second or third. I know this takes experience, skill, and passion. With that being said I do believe that I have the time, and money to put into it, and with out a doubt in my mind I will have the skill.

As far as the type of car I want to make, I am leaning towards the lambos, but to tell you the honest to God truth I'm just intrigued by the idea of building a super car to my very own specifications from scratch, I don't think I will ever have the chance to do anything cooler in my life then that lol. I don't mind the learning curve at all.

Ok, so I start with a fiero chassis, or mr2 (which one is better??), but what can I do with that chassis other then stretch it to make it fit the the lambo body? I guess what I'm asking is, and I know it is, but what is better about some good lambo chassis plans instead of the fiero stretched out chassis? I'm pretty sure the Fiero, or MR2 chassis will make the car look like a lambo on crack! and then what do I do with THAT car? I aint gonna wanna keep a fake lambo body on a Fiero chassis...HHHHELL NO lol, but I will do it if it means that it will SIGNIFICANTLY help my experience level.

I'm in it for the long haul guys, hope to learn a lot form you all

Ok perfect! First of all thanks for replying!! Quick question, so what you're telling me is that just the chassis alone would cost 60-80k, is that correct?

I'm in Chicago IL, and I'm not here to compete with anyone, or try to diminish anyones work, I just want to learn, and I think this is the right place for me to learn. I understand that this is not something that I can just get into, and do right the first time, or even the second or third. I know this takes experience, skill, and passion. With that being said I do believe that I have the time, and money to put into it, and with out a doubt in my mind I will have the skill.

As far as the type of car I want to make, I am leaning towards the lambos, but to tell you the honest to God truth I'm just intrigued by the idea of building a super car to my very own specifications from scratch, I don't think I will ever have the chance to do anything cooler in my life then that lol. I don't mind the learning curve at all.

Ok, so I start with a fiero chassis, or mr2 (which one is better??), but what can I do with that chassis other then stretch it to make it fit the the lambo body? I guess what I'm asking is, and I know it is, but what is better about some good lambo chassis plans instead of the fiero stretched out chassis? I'm pretty sure the Fiero, or MR2 chassis will make the car look like a lambo on crack! and then what do I do with THAT car? I aint gonna wanna keep a fake lambo body on a Fiero chassis...HHHHELL NO lol, but I will do it if it means that it will SIGNIFICANTLY help my experience level.

I'm in it for the long haul guys, hope to learn a lot form you all

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    The people building chassis and bodies from scratch are highly experienced and have built many cars before

It is simply not going to be a fun experience to try this for your first experience , you will invest tens of thousands of dollars and most likely need to abandon the project .

are you wanting to build a replica of a Lamborghini style car ?
    What country are you in ?
    What is your budget ?
    There's very few people selling Lamborghini bodies these days
    And building one from scratch as your first try will simply not turn out a Usable quality body

If you have a $60,000-80,000 budget , you can build your own custom chassis
    But if you don't have that budget just
    Start with a fiero or mr2 and stretch it to fit the body. Start with a good running car so you'll have a good running chassis

Depending on your budget you are better off buying a project that someone has lost interest or couldnít complete it would save you tons of time and money. As far as chassis you can do anything you have to look at wheel base and roof line and rest is up to you their is nothing wrong with a fiero chassis I have had several fiero based kits. If you want something exotic like a lambo I would build a vaydor g35 or rcr superlite, or a gtm as not many lambo bodyís out their anymore. Their is a shop close to you that can make a body custom or Replica itís in alsip il if you have the funds available. But again with no experience or skills in kit cars you will realistically spend 30-90k building a car that will take 2-5 years to build majority of cars never get finished. I would start with a pre made kit enjoy building it get some experience sell it try to make a profit and then try your own design for simplicity look into factory five. Good luck hope you build something cool.

moe

Ty for your input. I'm not worried about the budget, with that being said, for another 30k I would rather buy a real lambo... Why do I keep hearing that there are not many lambo body's out there anymore? Where did they go? Who is in alsip? Can anyone tell me who has the best lambo chassis plans for sale? the 2-5 years is what I'm looking for, and I am really after the experience of building something form nothing. I gotta admit that the Vaydor g 35 is an awesome looking car, but what really brought me here is 2-5 year project being made from scratch.

O.D., To answer a few of your questions, you are not going to build a supercar on a Fiero or MR2 chassis. Lambo bodies are still available, which one do you want? I have several. You can spend another $30G for a real one but it is $6 per mile in maintenance. Chassis Craft has an adequate set of plans, they are readily available. Yes we know the guy in Finland, he has been thrown off of here twice. Your desire to design and build your own car is commendable, but you simply do not know what you do not know. I have 30 years experience in doing just that and have spent at least 40 hours per week for the last three years to do it, and still am not finished. If you are trying to do this in your extra time and to learn something, I think it is more realistic to budget the next 20 years and several hundred thousand dollars. Even still it is a cheap learning experience.

Their are bodies and molds out their just hard to find as oem manufacturers have shut down production of such kits. So not many people are going to advertise such bodies. I havenít dealt with 76mx but know over the years reading post he is very knowledgeable. I would suggest getting the naerc chassis plans they can be bought for under $10 on eBay since they no longer exist itís a good base chassis that can be adapted to many bodies and gives a detailed parts list. The shop in alsip is http://www.inspireautomotive.us/ he does great work I have friends that used him before and meet him three times great guy.

76mx is correct . It will not take you 2-5 years as an enjoyable free time hobby to build your own chassis and body from scratch .

In fact , Even if you bought a finished body and fully finished chassis it would take 2-5 years simply to mount the body , mount the doors , mount the hinges , do all the body work to make it look professional , do all the wiring , do all the interior , etc . This is why 97% of projects are abandoned and the builders are left with angry spouses, lost money , broken dreams and a garage that is unusable for years . Maybe visit someone building their own car so you can see the true level of difficulty involved . Even people who own body shops and have the room, who rebuild accident damaged cars all the time , give up trying to build a kit car . It's extremely difficult even if you bought the chassis and body simply to put together into a driving car - and to make a body and chassis from scratch is 100x harder