Thread: Whats a diablo worth?

Whats a diablo worth?

I found a 94 diablo kit for sale on cl. Its an 85 fiero stretched and looks like a custom tube roof. body is mounted, drivetrain installed but not hooked up. Says he has everything to finish, glass, grilles, emblems, lights. Looks like the nice rep wheels. Says its a 1st gen d&r kit. I dont need it, still working on my f40lm. Hes moving outta state and I can see this being sold for pennies at the last minute to somebody whose never going to finish it and itll wind up in the crusher.

What are these worth?
    basically its a chopped up non running fiero, w a mounted kit, and lotsa parts

thanks in advance

shem

As described, it's worth a dollar more then what it would cost to transport it to the crusher.

Perhaps I'm not as cynical as Steve, because the fibreglass body could be worth a substantial amount... certainly more than the cost of crushing it. Without photos of the bare chassis and the fibreglass shell, it's impossible to tell.

For the chassis, I generally find that many people don't know what they're doing when modifying a Fiero chassis, especially when it comes to Lambos. There are many that just chop and lengthen the wheelbase without much regard for keeping the alignment of the two halves. Some chop off the roof thinking an X frame underneath will restore the rigidity in a plane that isn't even associated with the lost roof structure. Others weld on a roll cage after they've cut off the roof, throwing everything out of whack. Still others cut off major structures like the front upper and lower frame rails, bumper bar, door structures... just to replace it all with some 1" square tubing to support some shaped fibreglass. In fact, lots of people mount the body quickly to hide the poor workmanship underneath. Needless to say, if the chassis you're looking at has been modified like that, it should be sent to the crusher.

The body kit *may* be worth a chunk of change though... again, everything will have to do with the condition it's in and the quality of the workmanship. As you already know from your F40 kit, you can pay far more to have the body "made right" after the fact, than what you pay for it up front. And just because it's advertised as a D&R kit, doesn't mean it actually is. It could be a poor splash-off from a D&R kit, or they might be lying trying to sell you a lesser quality IFG kit, or worse. The last D&R's were at least Gen 3's so this Gen 1 isn't going to be the best of the lot.

Bear in mind too that a properly done Diablo is going to cost you $40K to $90K depending on how nice you want it to look. Don't expect to resell the car for more than you put into it at any stage. If you want it, it should be either because you're super passionate about Diablos and don't care how much money it will cost, or to part it out (which is the only way you may make a couple bucks). If it does come with the proper Diablo safety-glass windshield, tempered door glass, and lights, then that may be worth a couple thousand right there. The wheels may or may not be worth something. They're likely very high offset to make up the difference in track between the Fiero and Lambo. If that's the case, most people know by now that spacers or high offset wheels really do make for terrible steering and kick-back.

Thanks for the replies fellas, gave me some things to think about and questions to ask. The windows def worry me, he says he has everything to finish. I offered him 3k, thats less than half of what hes asking. But I told him I will finish the car for sure. I always loved the diablo. I was looking for this very thing when I found the f40 on cl. I always wanted a half finished diablo kit w all the parts for less than 5k for the past 20 years. Too much hassle to buy, strip, and mount the body, I always wanted a half finished one. You get a good deal that way but everything may be welded messed up. Not sure how id check that im no welder. Supposedly its the correct wheelbase and kit so I dont have to cut it into pieces like the f40, so I should be able to wrap it up quickly. Little worried about hooking the drivetrain back up.

Thanks for the replies. Ill ask about the glass

shem

WOW!!!!!!!! That is an amazing deal..... You cant even get the glass for that much anymore that is if you can find them.