Thread: who am I ?

kitcarnut

who am I ?

Dad is Italian,Mom is Japanese, born in Sweden and I live in USA.

Re: who am I ?

early 70s saab sonic,maybe early 70s 240z

;D Here's what I found! Are you saying this is a kit?

Also found this on another site,,,,,,,, 8)
    Jared_80
    I was hoping that someone here could give me some info on the Saab Sonic? I had never herd of them before and my cousin insists that they were faster than the Corvette in the 70's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saabsonettguy
    The car you are looking for is a SAAB (Sonett) or 97. It was a limited production fiberglass sports car.
    The one your talking about is most likely a sonett 3 made from 1970-1974. I personaly owne one so tell me if you want to know more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jared_80
    I would just like to know the basic specs: weight, displacement, drivetrain setup, hp, and basic proformance specs. And any interesting facts that you know about the car.

saabsonettguy
    These specs(stock) are for a 72' but are very similar to the rest minus little changes.

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHTS
    Overall length: approx 12ft 9in
    Overall width:4ft 11in
    Height:approx 3ft 11in
    Wheel base:7ft 1in
    Track front:4 ft
    Rear:4 ft
    Curb Weight:approx 1805
    gas tank capacity:15.8 US gallons
    Luggage capacity: 7 cu ft
    Aerodynamic drag coefficient 0.31

ENGINE
    Ford four stroke overhead valve V-4
    Bore: 3.54 in
    stroke:2.63 in
    piston displacement: 103 cu in (1698 cc)
    compression ratio: 8.0:1
    net horsepower (SAE): 65 at 4700 rpm
    max torque: 85lb ft at 2500 rpm
    maximum permissible rpm: 6000 rpm

BODY AND CHASSIS
    semi momocoque all welded steel chassis. Fiberglass laminate body, 0.12in, structurally reinforced by steel tube roll bar. all cavities anti-corrosion treated, chassis undercoated

TRANSMISSION/DRIVE TRAIN
    Front wheel drive
    Hydraulically actuated, single dry plate clutch
    Four forward speeds, all syncromesh

STEERING
    Rack and pinion steering

WHEELS AND TIRES
    15 in. wheels
    155x15 tires

PERFORMANCE
    Top speed: 110
    Acceleration from rest to 60 mph: 12.1

saabsonettguy
    If you are looking to buy one make sure you check under the carpet at the floor. when the rubber seals and seam sealer go bad they start to leak
    so rust is a problem. unless the car has been garaged it will have some level of rust.

someone once said "sonetts are as simple as a lawnmower but i have never seen a lawnmower with this much rust"

kitcarnut

here is the owners quote
    The Aardvark -- so named because of its long, pointed nose -- is actually a 1974 Saab Sonett III sports car with which I've been fiddling off and on since I bought it in March 1999.

It's basically a "hobby car," and for that purpose it's nearly ideal -- it didn't cost much to buy, needs enough things done to it to be interesting, but is reliable enough that I can usually take it for a drive whenever I get the urge. And because it's a strange, limited-production car with a small but enthusiastic cult following, tracking down parts or information for it has given me the opportunity to make the acquaintance of a lot of -- um, interesting people and have exotic experiences. (For example, sometime I'll recount the story of how I obtained a bootleg carburetor from a Dutch scrapyard in a transaction that, strictly speaking, may not have been entirely legal...)

For now, here are some pictures of the silly thing...

kitcarnut

One weird feature of these cars is that you can take off the entire nose section for easier access to the engine, suspension, etc. The car looks really weird with the nose off, but still can be driven this way if you (and the police) don't mind the lack of headlights, turn signals, etc. Here's what it looks like with the nose off:

from my understanding it was a production car.i know a guy that claims to have owned one,these are the first pics i have ever seen of one,strange looking creature.

I am not sure about this because it was so long ago, but a friend of mine worked for Saab way back in 72 and he said this car was designed to compete with the Datsun 240Z. I thought they were very interesting and easy to hop up for H Production SCCA racing.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

from the doors back and the roof look real similiar to a 240z,but not the front end.