Thread: it seems that kit cars should be build on something more reliable than fiero

it seems that kit cars should be build on something more reliable than fiero

Dear all:

I am new. Therefore, please take what I say with a grain of salt. However, I am in the market for a completed kit car of the high end type--something that is very sleek looking and very recognizable. I love the aggressive swoop of the Murcielago, the Diablo or the Ferraris (with the big emblems).

The kit car that I eventually buy should be very swoopy (almost like a wedge). I also want it to be very recognizable/noticeable. Let's face it, the reason to get a replica is to be seen. Therefore, I make no bones about that. I want to be flashy and turning heads, even as I roll in an ordinary platform.

In anycase, in looking at the classifieds, the good looking replicas are mostly all Fieros or GM engines. I got very curious. So, here is my question: how come when people choose to invest $$$ in making a replica, that they don't choose a more long lasting platform like the toyota rear engine cars? I wish there were more MR2 platforms.

A friend of mine had a Fiero as his daily car back in the 90's. It gave him nothing but grief. I would be very reluctant to buy a replica based on the Fiero or any American made engine. This is because if I am going to buy a car for about $30 or $20k, I would want the engine to last a long time. I don't want to just garage it and only drive it on days when the car wants to run (ie Fieros may only run when you put in lots of time to fix it).

So, where should I look for what I need? Are they out there. Man. Why are so many nice ones out there using the Fiero? Please help. Thx in Advance.

sincerley. Dr. Moser

Re:it seems that kit cars should be build on something more reliable than fiero

fieros are very dependable cars

Dear Dr Moser,
    Your friend's Fiero probably needed a tuneup. By the tone of your letter, it sounds like you are more interested in longevity than in performance. There are thousands of daily driven Fieros with 100s of thousands of miles on them. Just check out Pennock's Fiero Forum. Now if you're looking for performance, there are many newer engines that can be swapped into the Fiero. Engines that will give you performance and last a long time doing it. Now, of course, most Fiero based cars will have a GM engine, because they fit with little difficulty, but there are several Diablo builds at the Lambolounge that have BMW engines. It's all up to the builder.
    All this aside, if you're looking for a true kitcar replica, and not just a rebody (no disrespect to those doing rebodies, I love them too), then you'll want a custom chassis to go with those swoopy body lines and in that case, you can put any engine in it that you want.

best regards,
    Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RCR
    Dear Dr Moser,
    Your friend's Fiero probably needed a tuneup. By the tone of your letter, it sounds like you are more interested in longevity than in performance. There are thousands of daily driven Fieros with 100s of thousands of miles on them. Just check out Pennock's Fiero Forum. Now if you're looking for performance, there are many newer engines that can be swapped into the Fiero. Engines that will give you performance and last a long time doing it. Now, of course, most Fiero based cars will have a GM engine, because they fit with little difficulty, but there are several Diablo builds at the Lambolounge that have BMW engines. It's all up to the builder.
    All this aside, if you're looking for a true kitcar replica, and not just a rebody (no disrespect to those doing rebodies, I love them too), then you'll want a custom chassis to go with those swoopy body lines and in that case, you can put any engine in it that you want.

best regards,
    Bob
    Ah. So that is the difference between a replica and a re-body. I didn't realize that distinction before. As I say, I am new to the game. In fact, before yesterday, I didn't even know such a sub-culture of kitcar enthusiasts even existed :-) . I have always wanted to own a swoopy, aggressive car like the Countach (non-US version so that the front bumper is not so ugly) or the Diablo or the Murcielago or one of the good looking Ferraris with prominent big horse emblems. However, I have always known that I would not be able to shell out the 192k for such a great looking car.

I guess what it boils down to is that: you are right, I am not looking for a true replica. I am looking for a rebody. My car doesn't even have to be fast. I just want it to look hot as heck and turn heads when I pull up. As far as Under the hood, I just want to have a good reliable engine. It is interesting that you say that maybe my buddy's Fiero may just needed a tune up. I will read the Pennock forum and give the Fiero another look. Maybe I have been unjustly biased toward the Fiero.

The reason I am looking for a reliable platform is that I want to drive it a lot. This was the reason that I was wishing for a toyota. I know toyotas can easily run 250k. Can you imagine: a Murcielago that you drive everyday. That would be great. Do you realize how fun that would be? You can't even do that with the real thing, since, as I understand it, exotic car's life is quite a bit shorter than most cars. You pay a premium when you go for performance.

So, my specific needs are: 1. looks; 2. reliability (for lots of daily driving). For now, the search continues.

Thank you for your input. I'll have to take a seond look at the Fiero. For one thing, I shut myself off to a lot of great looking cars when I shut out the Fiero as an viable option.

sincerley. Moser.

rebody is just replacing body panels and adding a couple
    things. engine stays stock/same as before and the overall car
    is just cosmetically changed. think rice but with actual
    thought and design in mind.

replica is everything except stock. i wont go into the world of
    details on this but engine swaps, stretching and chopping
    etc.. are the game.

as far as your donor car question, well it's just location.

US/Canada: MR2 = expensive and rare, Fiero = cheap/many
    VW = old and rare to find suited for kits

UK: MR2 = cheap/many, Fiero = expensive and rare, VW cheap
    but hard to slip by the law

Australia: MR2 and Fiero = pretty rare and expensive, VW
    cheap and everywhere, laws = ok

the list goes on but you get the point. for an MR2 Ferrari 355
    kit, look in the U.K. because the U.S. has few if any. for a
    VW based countach, go to australia.

also, fiero is not a "bad" car at all really, and it's cheap so fixin
    it up is cheap. MR2s aren't cheap to fix and dont last forever.
    the only good side is that the MR2 MK2 turbos can get 450hp
    with a bit of tweaking.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I have owned a Fiero since the day they came out in September 1983. Even my first one ran great (4cyl auto). I put about 180,000 mile on it and used it for an airport car for years (dent proof panels on the car). The next one was a 1986 Fiero SE. I still have that one. I put together a near perfect 1988, V6 5-speed for my daughter. She hated the car (shifting the 5-speed) so Bondo Bob purchased it and has a 355 re-body on it. The drive train and interior are stock, on 70,000 mile on the car. My 86 is being turned into a Replica with extensive modifications. The way to go since your a beginner is to invest in a re-body kit.

Go to the Ferrari dealer and buy as big an emblem as you decide and put it on the car. The hood badge (small) is $89, the rear horse is about $160, the front grill horse is $125. The side fender badges are $900 per side. The headlights are $2,400 each, then there are driving lights, tail lights, turn signals, center brake light etc. The price adds up fast. If you can't afford a good quality body kit, lights, wheels and tires, paint, labor or the badges, this hobby is not for you.

By the way, many of us can afford the real 355, 308, 328, 512 etc, we do this for the love of the game and not the big emblems and some kind of penile ego trip.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

i think you need to be very honest with your expectations up front. When I finally decided to get a car again after being ripped off by ck3, I had a choice between 3 cars i wasinterested in buying. The first was a 1989 ferrari 348 that had previous salvage history, that was supposedly very well put back together, THe owner mentioned the word "concours" in describing it, I paid a flat bed driver $1200.00 to drive me to Buffalo, and when I got there the car had overspray everywhereand tape lines everywhere, i promptly got back in the flat bed and came back home (11 hour trip) $1200.00 poorer. That car was priced at 36.5k, not bad for a 348, but the car was a hatchet job. I then looked at a beautiful 1982 ferrari 308 gtsi with only 13k original miles, that was in museum condition for 32.5k, I ultimately decided to buy my creative cars 512tr, which will take me hundreds if not thousands of hours to finish the way i want it, and an absolute minimum of40k invested, and as nice as it may be, it is a heavily modifies fiero not a ferrari. There are many times I spend in the garage working on this basketcase wondering why I didnt buy the 308, and the answer for me was that I wanted a testarossa over anything else, so it was really only a choice between a real tr or a replicar, just know what you are getting yourself into up front and be realistic about your expectations! On a side note, I did spend almost 10 years looking for a stripped or burned original testarossa to put a chevy engine in, and in all those years I never saw even one useable candidate, so for what I ultimately want, I think I made the right choice for me, but it will be costly in terms of time and money

well the general rule on ferraris is that every mile you drive is
    $1 (us) in maintenance. A car with 60k miles has probably had
    $60k invested in tuneup, repair, and maintenance.

I think that knock out MUCH of the people here as far as being
    able to affoard it.

Consider that some people ask about gas mileage here.
    Obviously money doesn't flow in rivers for them.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

moser ,find yourself a well taken care of mid 80s fiero,youll find thats its just as dependable as any jap crap out there.there really fun to drive even in stock form,ive never understood why they got such a bad rap,ive owned several of them and put many miles on them,ive had a lot less trouble out of them than i have my corvettes.other than the cooling systems there just like any other gm car out there