Thread: service engine soon light

service engine soon light

Hi guys,
    I just bought an 87 fiero with the 2.5 in it, the check engine light is on and wont go out. I know that usually that means there is a bad sensor somewhere but when I went to run the code or codes it wouldn't go into diagnostic mode. The light just stays lit when I try to jump the terminals (a and b).I am stuck, I think its a bad computer. The car runs and drives but has a very high Idle and while Im driving sometimes the light goes out and the rpms go even higher, to about 4 grand.What do you guys think?? any help would be great!!

Re:service engine soon light

Are you sure you jumped the pins corectly?If not,read here:
    http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes
    A check engine light with high idle, could be a vacume leak,inspect in and around the EGR and tube for cracks also the small plastic tubes in and around the engine (can you hear a vacume leak?).Maybe a Bad 02 sensor.A bad EGR (you can remove it and clean the carbon off and see if that helps).Try takeing some throttle body or carb cleaner and spray it on the inside, bottom of the throttle body.There is a port on the inside base that can become filthery.Then theres the occasional carbon buildup at the end of the EGR tube that attaches to the bottom of the intake manifold (usually on high milage vehicles)the end builds up carbone and close off the tube (The carbon buildup looks like a gasket or washer at the very end of the tube).Possibly the IAC Idle Air control valve,you can try removeing that and spraying carb cleaner in there,but use caution this part can be partially made of plastic and is brittle.Don't submerge the IAC in any liquid,it's electronic and thats a bad thing.Try pulling the codes again (thats with the engine off).

The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Well actually that is the site that I got my information from. I copied the info and printed it. I then took the print out to my car and tested it, but it didnt work. IT was odd, the cars check engine light reacted as if the code key was never inserted. The light just stayed solid and did not flash. Thats what gave me the impression that either the computer was bad or there was a faulty wire in the line between the computer and the jumper terminal. I have a chevy S10 and when I stick the code key in the trucks code terminal it flashes 12 then runs the code but when I stick it in the fieros jumper terminal in doesnt do anything. But thats good advice about the vacuum leaks and the egr, I will check them. thanks.But do you think the computer is bad for it not to respond at all like that??

I have a friend who is a mechanic, and he says when the computer goes bad, it usually throws a bunch of codes.......twelve or more.Take a flash light and look inside the terminals,you may need an air hose to blow any dust or debrie out of there.Make sure that the jumper wire is deep enough to touch the contact points.If you still get the same results,you might try inspecting the wireing on the back side,to make sure no wires have broken free.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Thank you Mr. bond,I shall try that, It sounds logical to me. Maybe thats why Im not getting a response. Thanks