Thread: Why does Lamborghini allow C/T and Diablo replicas?

Why does Lamborghini allow C/T and Diablo replicas?

I noticed they don't want Murc replicas built, but why do they allow C/T's and Diablos?

Re:Why does Lamborghini allow C/T and Diablo replicas?

I read in a magazine not too long ago that it's easier to make replicas if the design is more than 10 years old and/or out of production...That would explain in part the Lambo Countach and the Ferrari 308/328/TR replicas which are over 10 years old and out of production...And to a lesser degree the F355 and Diablo both been out of production.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that but that's what I have read...

VK

Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

My guess is they've calculated the amount of money which would be required to actually shut down all the replica Diablo builders, and calculated the amount of money they will lose beause of the existence of replicas, and decided A is greater than B and therefore not worth their time.

With Murcs, B is probably greater than A, as Murc replica bodys and moulds are not a dime a dozen.

Just a guess though -
    Ari

As far as I have been able to determine, Lamborghini did not file design patents on the Countach and Diablo. They did file a design patent on the Murcielago. This could be the result of the Audi ownership of Lamborghini.

It would be hard for them to argue in court in 2004, that a replica of a body style that never had protection, and has been out of production for 4 years, is creating any kind of financial impact on them.

As for Ferrari, they have design patents on all their current cars. Once the design patent expires after 17 years it will be legal to copy the design.

But there is a more practical matter other than the legal right to copy a design, and that is intimidation. Audi or Ferrari could easily put any replica manufacturer out of business just by hauling them into court. There's not enough profit in kit cars to wage a year long court battle with Ferrari, even if you think you'll win in the end.