Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New addition to the GALLERY page at DKOV Motorsports...

New addition to the GALLERY page at DKOV Motorsports...

Hey ya'll... what do you think?

http://www.gopc.com/dms/galleryx.html

Ignore spelling errors and such, this is the temp design pages. That'll all get fixed before the site is moved permanently to www.dkovmotorsports.com

Right now, I'm just insterested in your feedback. Is this something of interest to you? SHould it be on the website at all? Is it interesting following individual projects like this?

Thanks for your input.

DKOV -

Re:New addition to the GALLERY page at DKOV Motorsports...

i dont understand why someone would buy one of johns bodies,[the best 355 copies ever],and then butcher it.looks good now dkov

Tell me about it...

My guess, from what I'm seeing under the blue paint, it looks like an attempt to either to a quick paint/build and turn a profit or that the DPO just plain ran out of money and could even afford to buy sand paper. Who knows...

Maybe it was just neglect or impatience. I don't know.

Add to the mystery that he also sprung for a Held Widetrack kit, new extended axles, nice koenig rims, real 355 glass, real lights and lenses, real seats, some real components to the interior including vents and gauges... all that and he doesn't even bother to sand out the mold release seams.

Other oddities are the bondo over paint... I can't expain that. From what I've seen, John's cars come out almost ready to paint so why would someone dig deep enough, BEFORE paint, to need filling with Bondo but choose to paint BEFORE adding it. And then to paint again, over it... It defies logic.

In any case, the car was taken all the way back down to base materials and then down past the gel coat. Built back up and resealed, build primed and painted.

The car is every bit as strong (if not stronger) than it was when it came out of John's molds and not a wave in sight.

We were working on finishing up the wet sanding on the front deck today and hopefully will be taking it out in the Sunlight tomorrow for some outdoor shots. The rear decklid is in the paintbooth now, being painted separately. It was pretty chipped up too. Lots of nothces taken out of the individual slats. Needed some work but is looking 110% now

I actually called John about the history of this car and was suprised to hear that this is the SAME car as the pictures you've seen of a body install at his shop where the car was on stands... It was mounted by John himself and delivered to the DPO in paintable condition except the mold seams. So it is a mystery to all of us how it got into the condition it was when I got it.

But, like you said... It looks good now. Not just on the outside too. We've redone this car from the ground up with the exception of the items specifically declined by the new, proud owner.

Next week, a full Spider Interior skinned in Black will be going it along with our Custom DMS Carpet kit and the Ferrari Seats.

Should be a site to see.

Keep watching the pages for more updates

Thanks for looking. And seriously, any compliments coming from Mike D is gratefully taken.

Best,

DKOV -

Scott:

What was Jon Hayes thinking when he painted the car after John Watson mounted it in his shop? I was there when Watson mounted it on Jon's donor. Hayes was the first kit to get the new tail light sub-panel made from Tommy Hilfiger's OEM parts car.

You have the very first one out of the mold installed on your Mirage kit that you got from me.

You made the blue bomb into a nice car, good job Scott.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Looks good scott, I think it is a good idea to add projects to your site. keep up the good work.

As a side note, I am interstest in your door mechanism for my AD kit... can you give me some info on them...

thanks

Scott

My feedback on your temporary website:

I particularly like to see more expanded sub-sections under PRODUCTS.....As a first step include a little description on the photos you have posted, so people can indentify what they're looking at..

Are you planing to include performance parts for the Lotus Esprit cars as well??? If so, there should be a separate section for that apart from the Fiero and replica parts.

Folks who create their own websites make the mistake of including too many photos with little or no text...Photos are nice but if I don't know what I'm looking at, then it's of little use...Overall, I think it's a good start for marketing your own products and services...I also like the build process of the "blue F355"...Many people will be interested in this project.

Best of luck with your business - VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Thanks guys... I appreciate the feedback.

About the Products Page... you are totally correct. However, the products page will be completely replaced with the e-commerce section of the website being developed separately. It will function just like the Clothing page I've got set up, but a little different.

It will have the items, services and products separated by catagory and types of good... fiero, exotic, replica, etc.

From there, it will have descriptions, options, prices, availability and a point of sale system.

I have also discussed the possibility of having TWO distinct areas for "real" cars and replicas. That way, I can market to the exotic market without "offending" them with replica parts and so on... I'm not sure how or if that will happen.

As far as doing exotics like the Lotus and 348s or 355s or whatever, the main purpose of having those projects is to show competence and maybe earn some of that business from time to time. The Lotus Esprit Turbo will eventually show up as a Gallery Project as that car was a restoration project that included motor and body.

See www.gopc.com/Lotusx.html for more on that one.

I'm glad to hear your takes on the Gallery Projects. I like the idea too. Here's another question though... too vauge or skips over to many steps? Want to see more detail on the actual process or is the "pace" okay? It's not exactly step-by-step but more a summary of steps right now. Good, bad, otherwise?

Thanks again...

DKOV -

Scott

The Lotus link above does not work....

Has this car have a Lotus 2.2 Turbo engine installed or aftermarket hotrod??? Some people find that the Lotus 4 banger is not reliable enough....Just wondering..

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Sorry... here's the correct link

http://www.gopc.com/F355/Lotusx.html

It has the 2.2L Turbo Lotus motor and I considered it VERY reliable. In fact, I raced it a full year at PIR with ZERO issues. After the engine restoration of course.

The only real complaint I have about the Esprit at all is the brakes. They are a bit small for the power and speed of that car. Of course, with a Lotus... who needs brakes?

LOL!!!

DKOV -

Scott ,
    Not sure if you missed it or not but I would like some info on the door mechanisms that you mentioned on the site please.