Thread: testarossa kit car .. just got today

testarossa kit car .. just got today

Hello . i want to introduce myself ..
    I just bought a 1985 fiero se V6 FI kit car .. testarossa . i am glad
    to joing this forum and hopefully talk with you guys . pictures of my car http://onlinelistingssd.com/inventory/testarossa/

.. wondering about one thing .. i need to replace the back window .. right now .. its just a cheezy plexiglass stuck in there . Can i find glass that will fit , do i need custom cut glass .. any help out there .

Re:testarossa kit car .. just got today

Nice looking car.... and welcome to the forum!!

Welcome to the forum,nice looking ride,hope you have fun driveing it.Try calling your local automotive glass shop and see if the rear window is still avalable.Otherwise you might try the wrecking yard,but that would be some what of a pain to get out.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Welcome to the forum and the sometimes "exhausting" world of kit cars! I don't think anyone has ever removed a rear window without having to break it. Auto glass companies should be able to direct you to a replacement or be able to cut you one. Take them a template made from the one that is in there. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by bsculptor
    Hello . i want to introduce myself ..
    I just bought a 1985 fiero se V6 FI kit car .. testarossa . i am glad
    to joing this forum and hopefully talk with you guys . pictures of my car http://onlinelistingssd.com/inventory/testarossa/

If its just OEM rear feiro glass I've got two. I've had good luck
    pulling them without any breakage. heat gun and a glass knife
    is the ticket and a pair of latex gloves oh, and patients. let me know if you
    need it. $20.00 plus package and shipping.

David

EEExotic

.. wondering about one thing .. i need to replace the back window .. right now .. its just a cheezy plexiglass stuck in there . Can i find glass that will fit , do i need custom cut glass .. any help out there .
    ;
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I removed my fiero's back window with a steak knife. It worked very nicely, but it was a bit of work. You have to make sure you remove the inside plastic pieces around the window to get at the glue, and any fiberglass pieces on the outside too so you can remove it. You should be able to see the rubberized glue that holds the window in place from the inside. Just cut that. Mine was more rubber than glue so it worked perfect. If you find areas that are too gluey... go around them. They are easier to cut away when the rest of the window is pushed out after everything is cut free. I tried to keep the cuts right up against the metal of the car so cleanup would be easier and that worked great. It would be a lot easier to use a piano wire... I heard... but getting it through to the other side is tricky because of the tight curve. It can be done. It just takes a lot of work.

A stock fiero's window is about 57-1/2" on the bottom, ROUGHLY 44" on the top, (it's rounded) and 13" high. You could use that for reference. The top should fit fine if that's the original Fiero's top. If it looks like it will fit, check both wrecking yards and glass shops to see which is more affordable and if cutting it would be worth it. Otherwise, yeah, they can cut one for you, but it MAY be pricey... I don't know.

Good luck.

HEat gun and razor wire works well, it's clean and tidy. No breaking of the window although depending on the plexiglass you are using, it may warp and bend with the heat. Of course, it also may break into LARGE pieces unlike safety glass. If that happens, you could probably just pull it out a large piece at a time. I'm not sure I'd take the risk though.

Taking a window out after it's been broken is a MAJOR pain the in the arse if it breaks into any small pieces.

I'd try hitting it with some low heat and gradually step up and see what the window does. If it starts to bend and warp, which is probably will, it may be a blessing in desguise. Try to ease it along by heating it up and letting it cool in the hopes that it will shrink enough to pull itself off the adhesive.

After you get it some way along, you can then go after it with the razor wire (available at a glass shop in spools) and just cut it the rest of the way.

Good Luck!!!

DKOV -

And I just noticed how much this...

http://onlinelistingssd.com/inventor...s/P1010107.htm

Needs this...

Seriously... a CF Liner in that car would look absolutely SWEET!!!

All you'd need to do is repaint the interior trim around the door with Krylon Fusion Semi-Black and it would look like a factory Ferrari Upgrade!!!

Best,

DKOV -

Quote Originally Posted by DKOV
    And I just noticed how much this...

http://onlinelistingssd.com/inventor...s/P1010107.htm

Needs this...

Seriously... a CF Liner in that car would look absolutely SWEET!!!

All you'd need to do is repaint the interior trim around the door with Krylon Fusion Semi-Black and it would look like a factory Ferrari Upgrade!!!

Best,

DKOV -
    Where can i get it and how much does that cost . let me know .. i just tore the headliner out a minute ago .