Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have a future in car design?

Do I have a future in car design?

Hey,
    I just completed my first car design in Rhino 3d... I would like to know everyones opinion of my work...

Do I have a future as a car designer?

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/041322.html

Re:Do I have a future in car design?

I think it looks great! The proportions of the car are perfect. IMO, you absolutly have a future in car design.

Thank you... At least someone replied.

What needs to be realized is I'm an 18 yr old kid who just started using Rhino (couple of months)... it is my very first attempt of 3rd car modeling... I know it is far from perfect and far from the quality and designs most of you can make... (which it should be since most of you have years of experience)

but I'm just getting started... I'm manipulating the design and series 2 will be out soon which will get rid of some of its flaws, hopefully, and maybe then I will be a little more recognised for my efforts.

This was rendered using Flamingo, on a school computer not even 1 gig processor, 256 k ram, 10 gig hard drive... so needless to say It takes about a day to render it once, which during school, really cuts down on the time i have to work with it and try different things.

thanks

Keep up the good work, I think it looks great, can't wait to see your updated model.

Mike

At 18 you should be able to perform at the same level as any other adult. Don't use that as an excuse. I use rhino too. I really like it. I assume you are drawing lines, and then lofting them. I do the same thing because I'm planning on building my car and want as few compound curves as possible. I can't say I really like your design but everyone has different tastes. Since your render does not have any raytracing, you should use rhino to render. You can get the same quality of your render in about 3 minutes. Flamingo is a really great program but is more useful when you begin to use shaders and want more reflections.
    Later,
    Scott

18 isn't my excuse, 18 is to bring into perspective my level of experience. Obviously I have come to the wrong place for any signs of reassurance in what I hope to turn into a career.

No the car was not constructed with basic curves and loft. The car was set up in layers separated every 6 inches both vertical and horizontal lines, points connected to form the free curves, then the layers removed and left with the basic wireframe. The curves were then networked within each section or panel of the car. Joined, rounded, then Poly meshed for the final car. I just got 3d studio max last night so now I will be busy learning that.

Thanks for those who offered suggestions, I appreciate them.

For those who remained silent, I wish you the best of luck with what you do, and try to achieve...which is more then was offered to me.

Thanks

yes this really is the wrong place to go for 3D help but:
    http://smcars.nd4spdworld.com/forum/index.php

that place has wonderful 3d cars, but sadly for us, most are
    way off and inaccurate. they make game models and renders
    so for their purposes it's fine.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiros88
    18 isn't my excuse, 18 is to bring into perspective my level of experience. Obviously I have come to the wrong place for any signs of reassurance in what I hope to turn into a career.

No the car was not constructed with basic curves and loft. The car was set up in layers separated every 6 inches both vertical and horizontal lines, points connected to form the free curves, then the layers removed and left with the basic wireframe. The curves were then networked within each section or panel of the car. Joined, rounded, then Poly meshed for the final car. I just got 3d studio max last night so now I will be busy learning that.

Thanks for those who offered suggestions, I appreciate them.

For those who remained silent, I wish you the best of luck with what you do, and try to achieve...which is more then was offered to me.

Thanks
    Nebiros88
    Very nice work...what program is this? is it like a autocad prog? for a couple months work I think thats amazing...
    keep up the good work
    Brad

AutoMX... you were one of the people I was hoping would reply with a good statement so that I could further explain my purpose of posting it here.

With Rhino, as with any other decent 3d program you have the ability to create things in real form. This car is constructed to real size, down to an inch of curve or a foot of length.

Now I don't know how many of you remember when I first came here I was a little nieve on thinking how cool it would be to build my own kit car (at the time not fully realizing the involvement) Well with this design, All I have to do is throw the horizontal and vertical plates back into it and section the plates to the extent of the vehicle. From there all I would need to do is dimension the size of each plate and reconstruct the plates out of wood in my garage (plywood).

Once constructed, covering, fiberglassing, and all those fun things begin.

By using this program I can also reconstruct the fiero unibody frame work and and mounting points, thus forth creating a kit onto the fiero frame with the dimensions of stock mount points. Giving a mounting advantage that I haven't seen a kit have yet.

I am just trying to simplify the construction and mounting of a full rebody for the fiero. I hope some understand my purpose now.

The program is Rhinocerous 3d 3.0, vC I believe is what it is at now. thanks for the complements... I will be posting an update version in a couple of days.

with new version flares will be rounded, headlights will be fixed, back end will have more design, mirrors, better detailed spoke rims, etc... thanks again

that is definitely one of the advantages of 3d
    CNC is another option but expensive as hell ;D

this is probably the place to be when you're actually building
    it, but for 3d i can't say this forum is going to be much help :P

also, don't forget to get the legal requirements cleared before
    construction (height of headlights and possibly spacing, etc..)
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com