Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a show quality F355 replica go for?

What's a show quality F355 replica go for?

Just wondering what a top notch 355, completed finished, would fetch. I'm figuring it will cost upwards of about $30K to do right - authentic parts, excellent interior, V6 or V8 swap, showroom bodywork and paint, etc.

The problem is that I see the real article priced at about $80K now. I looked at a Dupont Registry today and saw some '97 355 Spyders for approx. $80k and I think one at $75K, but not sure on that one. I'm wondering if it's wise to spend that kind of money getting a fiero to look exactly like a 355.

Do you think I could sell it for more than $30K or is that just not economically feasable?

Re:What's a show quality F355 replica go for?

sure ferrari's are coming down in price on the second hand market but can you afford to insure it ? how about service it ? petrol( gas) ? depriciation ? part if you crash etc this is why kits can hold there value

Hi Razer,

A replica like the one you are talking about will sell around the $35,000 to $45,000. Probably cost you 15% lower if you build it yourself. As for the cost of a real ferrari, I was looking buying a real 328 but changed my mind when I saw that it would cost me $1500 for a tune up and more for insurance than I pay on my house!!

I think it would be great to own a real Ferrari. I have over $45K in my replica and it is still a Fiero under the skin. The pleasure I get is in the building process and the fact that I can drive the car. A real 355 would be great with a small block Chevy in it. The real car according to my neighbor who has one, states it costs about $1 per mile to own a Ferrari 355 and slightly less for a 308-328. But at least you can work on the older cars without paying the $350 oil change prices as with a 348/355. The belts that drive the cams still need to be replaced every 15,000 miles or 3 years. And just hope the real one dosent break. They get real expensive when that happens.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dave that must be great to have a real car just next door to check out all the details during your build ...I have spent hours surfing sites looking at roadster pics and its just not the same ...john

The car is actually down at the club house. It belongs to the one of the guys who started the Outback Steakhouse Chain, Chris Sullivan. Here is an old shot of it next to my Mirage.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by razer
    Just wondering what a top notch 355, completed finished, would fetch. I'm figuring it will cost upwards of about $30K to do right - authentic parts, excellent interior, V6 or V8 swap, showroom bodywork and paint, etc.
    I've built cars for as little at $16,000 and as much as $47,000 for customers. And they are ALL quality, of couse.

The end cost depends on just how much you want into it. My base turn keys start at $26K ready to drive. Not 100%, mind you, with ALL the bells and whistles and rear parts and such but enough to fool the everday viewer and give the customer a wonderful driving experience.

I guess the big difference from what I do is that DMS does more than just install bodies and paint. We do everything from engine swaps to custom tuned chassis and suspensions. Ulpholstered Interiors and electronics installations. Carbon Fiber accents such as headliners to customer Ferrari seats. DMS even deals in authentic Ferrari parts and has restored and repaired Ferrari, Lotus and other notible marques.

And we are only getting bigger!!!

My personal car is going upwards of $50 - $60 K but MOST of that money is being spent in the engine and drivetrane (550+ HP wiht a custom HD 5speed).

Ultimately, one has to look at more than just the purchase price too. Sure, for $80K you can have a real F355 complete with $5000 minor tune ups and $15,000 15K tune ups (EVERY 15K) plus the inevitable worry that if something DOES go wrong with the engine, even slipping a timing cog, results in total catasrophic failure. Have you ever looked at the interior of a car with more than 30K miles on it? Shrivled up like your 95 year old grandmother, they are.

Or...

You can have a car that is faster, handles better, stops harder, that is custom tuned for your backside, trimmed for your personal tastes, durable with HIGH reliability with MINIMAL expense for about HALF the money.

Sure it will still have some Fiero deep down inside. But that's a GOOD thing.

Honestly, you couldn't PAY me to own a real F355.

DKOV -

ReKOV
    Reply #16 on: May 16, 2004, 02:51:24 PM Reply with quote | Modify | Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When you sent me your invoice you told me the parts were in the box and ready to go. Also after everything, I said fine just send me what you have (which would be less than what I paid for so you would still owe me money) and that was 2 weeks ago! I am tired of you're excuses, and feel you are irresponsible and unreliable for which I am sorry. I have lost faith in your ability to deliver so therefor I have contacted Paypal for a refund as 1700 is a lot to pay someone for nearly 2 months and not recieve anything in return no matter what the promises! If anytime in the future you do manage to get hold of some parts that I paid for and you send them to me I will release the money back to you.

Hey DKOV: if u have time why don't u reply this ??????????????

Again, you've changed your orders, you've told me you were willing for me to locate the parts and you are greatly exagerrating the time involved here.

I would very much like to serve you and help you but I feel like I've been chasing your orders and then changing them. Despite the travel time back east and berrying my unlce this past Thursday, I've been working on your order.

I send you updates and you post here I've not returned your messages. I give you the latest and you say I'm ignoring your inquiries.

I tell you what, I've paid good money for your parts and have SOME of them here now, which I will send you. Depending on what you've decided on the 2nd set of vents OR the tail lamps, which you have never decided on yet and I am waiting to order, you will either get refunded for the vents or will owe me another $550 for the tails.

That will conclude our business together.

DKOV -

Quote Originally Posted by DKOV
    Quote Originally Posted by razer
    I've built cars for as little at $16,000 and as much as $47,000 for customers. And they are ALL quality, of couse.

The end cost depends on just how much you want into it. My base turn keys start at $26K ready to drive. Not 100%, mind you, with ALL the bells and whistles and rear parts and such but enough to fool the everday viewer and give the customer a wonderful driving experience.

I guess the big difference from what I do is that DMS does more than just install bodies and paint. We do everything from engine swaps to custom tuned chassis and suspensions. Ulpholstered Interiors and electronics installations. Carbon Fiber accents such as headliners to customer Ferrari seats. DMS even deals in authentic Ferrari parts and has restored and repaired Ferrari, Lotus and other notible marques.

And we are only getting bigger!!!

My personal car is going upwards of $50 - $60 K but MOST of that money is being spent in the engine and drivetrane (550+ HP wiht a custom HD 5speed).

Ultimately, one has to look at more than just the purchase price too. Sure, for $80K you can have a real F355 complete with $5000 minor tune ups and $15,000 15K tune ups (EVERY 15K) plus the inevitable worry that if something DOES go wrong with the engine, even slipping a timing cog, results in total catasrophic failure. Have you ever looked at the interior of a car with more than 30K miles on it? Shrivled up like your 95 year old grandmother, they are.

Or...

You can have a car that is faster, handles better, stops harder, that is custom tuned for your backside, trimmed for your personal tastes, durable with HIGH reliability with MINIMAL expense for about HALF the money.

Sure it will still have some Fiero deep down inside. But that's a GOOD thing.

Honestly, you couldn't PAY me to own a real F355.

DKOV -
    Scott:

I spoke with John Watson today. He asked me to let you know your Air Dynamics body is mounted and ready for you to pick it up. He understands about your uncle passing away impacting your time frame to get your car, please call him 706-328-3311.

Just passing along a note on his behalf.

Dave