Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Possible?

Is This Possible?

Wondering if this is possible:

I met a guy the other day who was driving what looked like a Lamorghini. At second glance, I noticed no emblems, etc. So I started asking the guy about it. Turns out it was really an IFG Phantom 6.0 Kit car. I asked him how long it took him to do it and he said that it took him only 1 week to complete the exterior! He said it came pre-painted which I looked and they do send them like that if you want. He also said many of the parts come pre-mounted together and hinged, etc. But anyway, my point is he said it only took him a week! I thought it would take months. He said it actually took him 2 weeks, but the first week was just stripping the old Fiero parts (panels, etc.) and stretching the chasis. But only a week to install the new exterior of the kit! Is that possible or is he just bragging? He hasnt done the interior yet, but I figure at his rate of speed, he can do that in 2 days! ;D ;D What do you guys think? Can it really be done that quickly???

Re:Is This Possible?

Once the Fiero is stripped down, you could drop a body to the kit in an afternoon. However, especially if it was all painted and the doors/trunk/hood "hung," the question I would ask is... HOW securely is the fiberglass body attached to the chassis?? I guess it is possible to carefully weld to the metal bracing within the fiberglass and avoid any contact with the painted fiberglass, but there are only a few areas that would allow this. My guess is that the body shell is solidly connected at only a few points and maybe the rest is attached by welding metal to the car, but only fiberglassing it to the body. He'd have to do a bunch of fabricating and welding of these braces, but if he had nothing else to do, a week would be enough time to do it.

Yes... It is possible. I would doubt the quality of the kit bracing, hanging the doors/trunk/hood, is up to a lot of OUR standards, but as long as the body stays on and the car looks good.... that's all that matters.

Just My Guesses,

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by WraithInnovations
    Once the Fiero is stripped down, you could drop a body to the kit in an afternoon. However, especially if it was all painted and the doors/trunk/hood "hung," the question I would ask is... HOW securely is the fiberglass body attached to the chassis?? I guess it is possible to carefully weld to the metal bracing within the fiberglass and avoid any contact with the painted fiberglass, but there are only a few areas that would allow this. My guess is that the body shell is solidly connected at only a few points and maybe the rest is attached by welding metal to the car, but only fiberglassing it to the body. He'd have to do a bunch of fabricating and welding of these braces, but if he had nothing else to do, a week would be enough time to do it.

Yes... It is possible. I would doubt the quality of the kit bracing, hanging the doors/trunk/hood, is up to a lot of OUR standards, but as long as the body stays on and the car looks good.... that's all that matters.

Just My Guesses,

Ken
    Wow. I guess maybe he was telling the truth then. Yes, I dont know how securely everything was attached, but he was driving it and it looked good. But looks can be deceiving too. Oh well, thanks anyway - was curious about that.

yes if your high on crack,but he forgot to mention fabricating the front and rear inner bumpers.Unless he didn't put anything under the skin, kiss that baby good by!Also installation of a wide track suspension would take up some time too.Stripping the Fiero takes about 1 day and that's fairly easy, even a beginer should be able to do that.Buying and waiting for parts is going to kill 2 weeks to a month.Streching the frame also requires new brake lines,because the old lines won't be long enough and what about installing the windshield.Sounds like he's doing a little braging.Maybe he ment 1 year .
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

wow 2 weeks for a kit!!!!! HOOK ME UP!!!
    geeeez how come mines taking so long
    Brad

I would far from trust the work, even 10 hours a day for 7 days is rushing it, that is unless you have 5 guys helping. I would think he rushed through it and wouldn't look at him as a great kit builder, just cheap work.
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Bond_007
    yes if your high on crack,but he forgot to mention fabricating the front and rear inner bumpers.Unless he didn't put anything under the skin, kiss that baby good by!Also installation of a wide track suspension would take up some time too.Stripping the Fiero takes about 1 day and that's fairly easy, even a beginer should be able to do that.Buying and waiting for parts is going to kill 2 weeks to a month.Streching the frame also requires new brake lines,because the old lines won't be long enough and what about installing the windshield.Sounds like he's doing a little braging.Maybe he ment 1 year .
    ;D Ok, now that sounds more like what I was thinking. Of course I have not built my first kit - YET, but I thought either really crappy work or he is full of shit. ;D Probably full of it. The car "looked" decent, but like I said I dont know the guy personally or anything, so it might very well be good and just took him longer and he wanted to brag. That would be a lot of welding in one week! ;D Maybe Ill run into the guy again sometime and ask him some more indepth questions. Who knows...

If you see him again, ask him if he works for IFG. I wouldn't put it past him to be driving a good car (made by someone else) and trying to make people buy IFG's "quality" cars.

it could be done i think, what is his occupation? ???

I have been involved with several of these kit car builds over the past 30 years, nothing serious mind you, but, I can tell you he is most likely and overachiever, wink, wink!

Be careful when your around people like that so you don't soil your shoes

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.