Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 355 project begins ~*~WAHOO~*~

355 project begins ~*~WAHOO~*~

I bought a 84 fiero 2m4 today for $100 wahoo i can finally start my project. ill post pics with updates yeeeehaaaa
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14115334210.jpg&s=x4

Re: 355 project begins ~*~WAHOO~*~

Where do you live, MAD? I don't want to put a damper on your celebration at all but an 84 is not a very good choice for doing a kit, or any kind of swap for that matter... There are quite a few differences in the 84 as compared to any other Fiero... Doors are different, wiring is different, gas tank is smaller... All 84s are 4 cylinders so you have to do mods just to get up to a stock V6. I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do at all, but I would offer advice.. And my advice is to keep your new 84 for parts and find at least an 85 to build on. Tell us where you live and we might be able to point you in a good direction. I just gave away a good V6 chassis with a clean title.
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

I am with Songman on this one, as I think many will be. The 84 is very different from the other years including the wiring is different as well. I would suggest an 85 or later as well.

I agree. I learned the hard way too. Bought an '84 and then realized it was all different, I swapped a newer 4cyl with the harness and then decided to use the harness off the car, Not too fun. You can make it work by wiring a new harness from the fuse block back,and swapping fuel tanks ect. But is it worth it? Hey, anyone want to buy an '84 with a new 4cyl I have one ;D

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Well i got the car flat beded to my shop. and when it rolled into the bay area i began right away disasembaling the car.
    its an 84 2m4 pice of junk fiero. i got it for $100 and im gonna throw my kit on it no matter what ne one says. ill prove to veryone that an 84 2m4 fiero that has the clutch removed and blah blah can be turned into a beautifull if not the best 355 custom kit to date.
    i got some pics ill try to post today of the car, ive allready in a matter of 3 hours of the first day completly stripped the car.
    and have the body lying on the frame for reference.

here is list of what i will be doing to it.
    19" chrome rims
    full air ride system
    custom tube chasis from the firewall back
    eather a 350 v8 engine swap with new tranny or h22 from a honda prelude

im gonna try my best to have it completed within 4 months.
    and if you see that im slacking off please feel free to post msg's telling me to hurry up.

anyways its day 5 of the build and their still isnt any freebees. lol ZZZIIIP ZERROOOO NAATTAAAA.....
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14115334210.jpg&s=x4

MAD:

As with any project, you have to have a "Can Do" attitude.*

Let me know if I can help with addressing some of the challenges I ran into with FunnyWheels. I personally would like to have another 84 to restore.* I purchased my Fiero the week they were introduced, red tan automatic 4 banger.* I never had one problem with the car.* I owned it for 3 years. I traded it in when returning from a trip to Indianapolis to Tampa by way of Augusta.* I was on I-75 following a truck load of VW convertibles.* I pulled into Dennis VW in Dayton, Ohio.* They pulled a red one off the truck and two hours later I was on my way to the Masters.* Top down and cruising (once I hit Georgia that is).

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

im with dave.and i dont think theres anything wrong with an 84,hell its the same car,your changing the motor and suspension and etc. just tell everybody its an 88,nobody will ever know the difference.i bought a 84 fiero brand new in 84 i loved that car,i never cared that the fuel tank held a half ounce less fuel than a 1986.i wish i had your attitude,stay focused on what your trying to accomplish.im anxious to see your tube chassis from the firewall back

By all means, build your kit on your 84. Just trying to offer advice. An 84 is definitely not the same car as any other Fiero. It has nothing to do with 88s... Go ask Ed Parks, Archie, Chris West or any other builders of hot rod Fiero. The wiring connecteor being in the center of the firewall instead of behind the battery is what make them bad for engine swaps. The connector is so close to the manifolds that the wires will end up melting... Here is a direct quote from Ed Parks' website.

"The 84 cabin wiring harness (C-500) connects in the center of the engine compartment, only supports a single injector, and is not compatible with ANY "V" engine (it would be against the exhaust manifold). If changed to 85 or later (that connects behind the battery), then 84 front and rear light harnesses are not compatible with the 85 cabin harness. Other problems are the cruise control system and the a/c system.

Results are that ALL wiring in an 84, along with under car a/c lines if a/c is wanted and instrument cluster if cruise is wanted, should be changed to that of 85 or later.

Other differences are also more pronounced.. Like the gas tank size. An 84 has a 10.24 gallon tank. 85-87 have 10.9 gallons and 88s have 11.9 gallons. That is over a half gallon less, not half an ounce.

You'll also have to redo your suspension with coilovers for the 19 inch wheels, but that would be the same on any Fiero other than 88s.

Anyway... Do what you want. I was only offering to help you find a donor that would make your build easier. Didn't mean to offend anybody.
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

"The 84 cabin wiring harness (C-500) connects in the center of the engine compartment, only supports a single injector, and is not compatible with ANY "V" engine (it would be against the exhaust manifold). If changed to 85 or later (that connects behind the battery), then 84 front and rear light harnesses are not compatible with the 85 cabin harness. Other problems are the cruise control system and the a/c system.
    Not to dispute what Ed Parks says, because I know that he's pretty big in the Fiero arena, but I have an '84 with my 3800SC in it. There is plenty of room to the exaust manifolds. I'm not too worried about a meltdown.

Good luck with the project, Mad, I want to see that tube frame also.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by MAD
    Well i got the car flat beded to my shop. and when it rolled into the bay area i began right away disasembaling the car.
    its an 84 2m4 pice of junk fiero. i got it for $100 and im gonna throw my kit on it no matter what ne one says. ill prove to veryone that an 84 2m4 fiero that has the clutch removed and blah blah can be turned into a beautifull if not the best 355 custom kit to date.
    i got some pics ill try to post today of the car, ive allready in a matter of 3 hours of the first day completly stripped the car.
    and have the body lying on the frame for reference.

here is* list of what i will be doing to it.
    19" chrome rims
    full air ride system
    custom tube chasis from the firewall back
    eather a 350 v8 engine swap with new tranny or h22 from a honda prelude

im gonna try my best to have it completed within 4 months.
    and if you see that im slacking off please feel free to post msg's telling me to hurry up.

anyways its day 5 of the build and their still isnt any freebees. lol ZZZIIIP* ZERROOOO NAATTAAAA.....
    You tell them and I did the V8 so if you need any help feel free to email me. I would recommend making your own adapter plate if possible. There are several kits out there but if you can get some flat plate and angle iron you can make your own and save some money. The rest of it is off the shelf stuff. I had the same attitude as you when I started my build I think I said I was going to build mine in three months it has been a year and still not there. If you are building an AD coupe and not changing the interior it can be done but with the engine swap and the interior and suspension and brakes and convt. Top not likely. But I will say any one that can do that is the master and I would like to see it so good luck to ya and keep the pictures rolling and build it the way you want it because it is your car. I gotta say I'm disappointed in some of you guys he just started his build and is exited about building his dream car and you start right of dissing his donor. *