Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F355 body line/contour

F355 body line/contour

Okay, I have some questions and comments about the molding process of a kitcar's exterior "shell". *If these kits are truly molds of the real thing (which, I can't see how you'd make one without molding the real car), then why is it that the contour of the body on real F355's is much more sleek and in my opinion, MUCH more beautiful? *Take a look at these 2 pics, courtesy DKOV's website:

Real 355 Spyder

-and-

Mirage 355 Spyder

Why is it that the shape of the body doesn't seem to really come close to mimicing the contour of the real thing, especially along the top of the door where it kinda dips down on the real car, and it's more of a straight shot on the Mirage (and all other kits I've seen)? *Doesn't seem to be a true "carbon copy".

Re: F355 body line/contour

You wiil find that there are high quality kit's and poorly made kits.As for direct molds, I don't know if I belive a kit manufacturer that says Carbon copy or direct mold because of copy right laws in the U.S. Outside the U.S. thats a diffrent story.Due to copy right laws there are some slight changes to the kit car body design,to avoid steping into copy right infringement.For example the trunk scoop on a kit could be 1 to 2 inches larger or smaller than the real thing.The same way with the body and in some kits have added new body designs.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

You also have to consider the chassis it goes on. When one starts to make a body shell that is to be a "bolt-on" project, one has to make modifications to make it fit. Especially when you consider the Mirage is smaller than the real car.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Umm....

I'll take either one of them!! Lol. My heart is partial to the Red one though. Need my shipping address?

Suddenly I am depressed. This wasn't a giveaway offer?

Steve
    87 3.1Turbo GT Spyder
    87 3.1Turbo GT Spyder

8) Fact is that most of the bodies are built as plugs first rather than being splashed off the originals. There are a few artists out there that have done most of the work for IFG, CRP and D&R. The plug is an interpretation of the original. Then as mentioned there are allowances made for the Fiero or whatever under it.

Just to through my 2 cents in, I think it's the size of the rims and the offset(ie spaceing in the wheel well) that allways give a kit car away from an original. I know the real 355 spyders i have seen had 18 inch stock ferrari wheels. look at just the body on the two cars and block out the wheels as you look at the pics and the cars look very close. you can tell that the replica has 16 or 17 inch wheels. Hey can you even put 18 inch rims on a fiero? someone must know? p.s. how come I CANT FIND A FERRARI 550 or 575 REPLICA or something similar!!!

I think you may be right. 18" wheels seem to have a big part in how authentic the car looks. Since I plan on using real OEM Ferrari wheels, I think I'll get the look I'm shooting for. Thanks for the input.

Check the Mall... Some for sale

DKOV -

I'd love to buy 'em, but I have no where near the money for 'em. It'll be a while before I can start my project...

The real 355 wheels and tires do make a big difference. Most times, wheels and tires will require a big investment in a kit, sometimes as much as the kit. If you are interested in buying OEM parts for your kit, contact Ted Rutland at 770-493-8852. I got a set from him that were Ferrari factory take offs when they built the last 50 Challenge Cars. Brand new condition, new tires, caps, etc.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.