Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is this type of customizing good for my rims?

is this type of customizing good for my rims?

im thimking of getting a kit car soon with non chrome rims . but i wanted to get them custom chrome by a company or someone who specializes in this kind of chroming. has anyone done this before? are the rims sprayed or dip in chrome? does this custom chroming chip or cracked during a period? im wondering if its worth doing this? will they last as lomg as the real chrome rims?

Re: is this type of customizing good for my rims?

As long as there not clear coated,you can have them anodized,gold,silver,red,blue,black and some other colors.Possibly powder coated but I wouldn't know how well it would hold up when a new tire is installed.Then theres chrome plateing,the rims must be new,it wont work with filthy old rims.What exactly are you looking for?Regular chrome?
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

i dont know what "real" chrome rims are supposed to be but chrome rims are usually clean standard rims that are nickel plated then chrome plated since chrome will not stick to most metals directly.
    older rims can be chromed if they are heavily cleaned (acid bath and more) but there's surely exceptions
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I've had wheels chromed and powder coated.. They were both new wheels but they bead blasted then any ways.
    I think it depends on the chromer and how much you pay. they told me if they were going to stand behind there job they would have to be bead blasted. But in the end they turned out awesome. Some advice, if you can pick up your wheels already chromed its def cheaper.

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

A Chrome’r cane chrome any part you need including rims Dave is right it will cost more but the stuff I have had chromed always looked better. Maybe it was the chrome’r I used but they always did a great job. Something that people are starting to do know that really looks cool is powder coating a candy over a chrome wheel.

i was thinking about just a nice looking chrome shine on new rims. nothing super hard to get. but just heard that if its not bought with chrome already on rims then it wont last if its custom. from what you guys are saying , its seems like custom chroming seems to be ok . i will look in to it some more. thanks for all you suggestions. it was very helpful. ive seen custom chroming at kit car shows and it looks very good . but i wonder how long it will stay on without chiping by itself or fading? it the custom work last as long as the chrome rims we buy , then i will surely do it.

Consider Perma-star

http://www.lawheel.com/about.htm

this guy is a great resource but his retial pricing is kind of high becasue he is in LA.

I am having my oem 355 rims perma-stared as we speak. It is a powdercoating process that is close to chrome in brightness but is much more durable and has a 4 year warranty. OEM 355 wheels are magnesium and cant be chromed. Ferrari actually came out with a chrome version of this rim in special edition sets and they were $5K more than the non chromed wheel that were made of actual magnesium, a much lighter, stronger, more expensive metal. As you can guess very few sets were ordered and they are very rare.

I have an wholesale account set up and can get them done for you for $750 set shipping including shipping. This should be much cheaper than chroming as well.

Who told you that you couldn’t chrome magnesium? Chrome is plating it is not like powder coat were it has to be magnetized.

Quote Originally Posted by F355spider
    Who told you that you couldn’t chrome magnesium? Chrome is plating it is not like powder coat were it has to be magnetized.
    I've been told the same by some chrome platers....

dont beleive me...ask around