Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: saleen s7 replica

saleen s7 replica

how come no one has build a s7 replica? but the gt40 has been done and out so quickly. do you think there will ever be oe done. that will be the best kit ever.

Re: saleen s7 replica

The Ford GT40 is decades old, it was made in the mid-1960s. Give the S7 40 more years and I'm sure there will be a replica out there. I think the reason builders have stayed away from the S7 is the legal problems. Saleen is very defencive when it comes to their products.

What if someone created a kit that looked like the s7 but used a diffrent name even when selling the kit. I mean, what stops me from creating such a kit.

Quote Originally Posted by masta_kix
    What if someone created a kit that looked like the s7 but used a diffrent name even when selling the kit. I mean, what stops me from creating such a kit.
    erm....the factt hat Saleen own the rights to the design of the S7. You could call it what you want but you'll still be breaking copyright laws!

Most of the copywrite laws that have been tested in court have allowed a copy so long as it has 12% difference from the original product. But that means each piece needs to be 12% different, the door, the bumpers, each fender, the glass, the seats, the dash, the hoods and so on. Because they can tie you up by claiming that the hood is 11% accurate. It is a bit different for aftermarket "body" restyling kits because they retain the original car under the panels. Porsche has even had this tested and the court held to the 12% ruling so if you buy one of the kits that restyles a 79 into a 2003 car they often even claim that there is a 12% difference on their web sites. Either way, if the copywrite holder has enough money and the desire to squash a small player they just have to make the claim and it effectively makes you cease activitly and then go through the very costly proceedure of defending the claim. Remember they have a strong connection to Ford and would lean heavily if push came to shove.
    The S7 is a nice car but it is simply too low and long in the front for any reasonable amount of use in the city, plus it has complex glass that would not be fun to try to duplicate.

hey janice you seem to know alot about copywrite laws. do you know of any websites or links where i can find out more about this. These laws you speak about are of what state? Also if this is true, how are IFG and other companies able to make replicas of cars. Did they pay somebody?

All the kit car companies operate in the same way, they are simply copying someone else's design. It is not legal but unless the copywrite holder calls foul then nothing happens. I can tell you right now that if Lamborghini wanted too they would close IFG, D&R and NAERC tomorrow, they would demand all the molds be destroyed, they can even go after damages which would be huge numbers.
    Shellby years ago tried to stop all the Cobra replicas but there were so many that he gave up - but not because he wanted to give up or that he wanted all those replicas out there. The reality is that car companies don't really want to spend hundreds of thousands to protect a design from being copied because it is not really costing them anything right now. The reality is that someone who can afford a real Lamborghini will 99 times out of a hundred buy one tomorrow
    I have always thought that it was funny that in this industry of everyone copying everyone else that we are suprised when one of the kit suppliers is discovered as dishonest.

Actually, arent the early Lambo's not covered by copyright laws? Im not sure if this is something I have read somewhere and isnt true or not though! I know this isnt the case for the 355 replicas though, and Ferrari just seem to 'allow' this to carry on - but try producing a 360 or Enzo kit in the public eye and they would be down on you straight away! Same with Audi and the new Lambo cars they've brought out!

Majority of cars (probably all modern cars) are covered by international copyright laws, so it doesnt matter where in the world you are producing a kit you could be stopped by the owners of the copyright patent.

Also, as a side note...like Janice_ho said, most car companies arent worried about losing money to the kit car manufacturers, as those who can afford the real thing tend to buy the real thing. But one of their main concerns is the way kit cars can affect their compnay image. I mean a ferrari owner doesnt want to pull up next to a replica of his car, as he bought it to be fairly unique. Although in the case of the Cobra replicas, it can have a beneficial affect on the company, bringing thier image right back to the forefront!

Factory Five racing has a saleen S7 style car. I am not sure of the web site but it is the same company that makes the old shelby cobra bodies.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

That's what I was going to say too. Factory Five came out with there concept car last year. looks something like a S7
    WoW! if a S7 has 43 louvers then Factory Five would either have to add 12% 5.86 for a total of 48.86 or minus 5.86 of 43 for a total of 37.14. I don't think it would look quite right
    either way an S7 has heck of alot of louvers. Maybe this is why they didn't add louvers the there concept yet. :P
    Just a wacky thought.. ok I'm done
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous