Thread: AWD

AWD

Does anyone know much about AWD transplants? Any links to sites for more info?

I know people have done it (Subaru WVX or WRX, Porshe etc) but just can't find much info on it.

TIA

Re: AWD

Would be tough to pull off, and pretty expensive...unless you are very lucky.

Best thing to do...would be to find a rear/mid engine AWD car, and pull the front drivetrain out of it.

Basically limits you to Porsche (or some eclectic Euro cars) The awd porsches are however..EXPENSIVE. Might be able to get the front out of it...if you find one that was wrecked. Not sure how many were actually imported to US. Anybody know Porsches out there????

Steve
    87 3.1Turbo GT Spyder

I thought about it for a while. The problem I saw, at least with a Fiero or mid-engine conversion, is that everything is reversed., ie engine in back driving front wheels. Now if you don't care if the engine is in the front, Summit Racing built a hotrod using the Sy/Ty transfercase to go AWD. Also, how about the newer Aztec/Rendevous drivetrain?
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks for the input guys. I'd really like to stick to a mid/rear engine setup though, so I guess that limits me to Porsche. I dont' know anything about the Aztek..hmmm...

Also, why would it not be possible to (for example) flip the Audi TT setup backwards. Meaning the engine now faces to the rear (and is in the back), and the driveshaft goes forward. Could you somehow reverse/flip a gear somewhere so you don't have 5 reverse speeds and 1 slow forward speed?

Send power to a pto...(with the right ap, possible to turn 180 out....sent the output shaft forward. )

Otherwise....can the Audi Engine be flipped around, and run in Reverse rotation?

A custom rebuild of the unit, could allow it to run correctly (I.E. 5 foward speeds.) Mind you, I said possible, not Cheap!!

Your best be would be to source out the porsche parts...as these could be much more readily replaced should a failure occur.

Also, you might want to do some research, there might be a little japanese or european car that has what you need, but was never imported. I think it might be wise to spend some research time in that area.

Even GM has divisions that do not show up in the states, such as Holden...ect.

Might be worth a look.

Steve
    87 3.1Turbo GT Spyder