Thread: Mirage kit / Fiero doors

Mirage kit / Fiero doors

I was wondering if anyone knows how well the Mirage door panel fits onto the Fiero door frame with reguards to height. Does the Fiero door *have* to be shortened at the bottom in order to accomodate for the fact that the bottom rocker stays solid to the car? If not, how does it look?

Re: Mirage kit / Fiero doors

The Mirage kit doors are a straight bolt on and do ot require any cutting of the doors to fit. The Rockers bold to the stock rocker locations as well. The most difficult part to installing them is getting the lines stright, which isn't really that difficlut.

I'm putting together a new page on the websire that shows the major steps for installation. Cutting the C-pillar roof notch and adding the new support, cutting and moving the headlight mounts and new substructure, installing the body and doors and rockers and cush.

The pictures answer alot of questions. I have yet to get them up, but I'm working on it.

Best,

DKOV -

I have a Mirage kit and the doors were no problem to mount in the original configuration by Mirage. *They went right on the car. *The door itself had to be reinforced along the centerline to remove a bow in the door (I put in a 1/2 inch square tube the length of the door). *In addition, I removed almost 2 inches from the center section of the Mirage door to make it closer to the 355 specs. *I also sectioned the Fiero door bottom by nearly the same amount and re-welded the parts. *That way I could raise the rocker panel up to the standard location. *On a Mirage kit the door is made taller in the scoop area to fit the Fiero door and use a 355 type Mirage rocker. *I also did a stretch on my car and used OEM 355 rockers. *
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Quite an interesting "Stretch" too...

Didn't actually stretch the car, he moved the rear axle/motor backward into the trank area more but extending the sub cradle ONLY and redrilling the rear cradle mount points. This moved the rear wheels rearward without cutting the frame. Pretty smart!!!

Just goes to show that, even with a Mirage kit, you can sure do alot for the attention to detail level that you desire.

Of course, THIS is the reason you built a kit... Like Burger King, HAVE IT YOUR WAY!!!

DKOV -

You don't have to chop off the rear of the frame to do the stretch.* It is bad enough to whack the top off of the chassis.* You have to add a lot of steel on the underside to make up for removing the roof.

Note the shock is back as well.* Just drill a new hole to mount the top of the shock.

I think the car is working out ok!

I switched to a kit from John Watson, Air Dynamics. Bondo Bob has the old Mirage kit for painting FunnyWheels for me.

Dave,whose garage is your car in? Your car is looking nice.Mine is still not running,if its not on the road by the end of April,I wont be able to make it to Johns this year.

Bob:

What about May?

That gives you another month.

I fired mine up over the weekend. I have something wrong with the fuel pump at this point. Hope to be on the road (around the block) this weekend.

Dave

Dave,I would like to put about a month of driveing on the car before I take it on a long trip.I plan on going to Buffalo N.Y. on June 5th.for my parents 50th wedding anniversery.Than on the way home stop by Johns. I need to put a lot of local miles on the car before I drive it all that way.If not I will have to book a flight to Buffalo.