Thread: is it possible to cut a windshied?

is it possible to cut a windshied?

Is it possible to cut a windshield to a diffrent size or shape? I know that most winshields hame some sort of plastic/glue stuff in the middle and are not at all the same as home window glass. has anyone tried to cut one?

Re: is it possible to cut a windshied?

It is very difficult to cut a late model windshield without it breaking. Jim Ashlocke had to trim his windshield a little bit and he broke four of them before the fifth one worked. Even auto glass companies tell you they will do it but are not responsible if it breaks because it will. We did a 4" chop top on an S-10 pickup and it took the glass company seven windshield in order to get one without it breaking. It would have been cheaper for my customer to get a custom made windshield laid up.
    That is probably not what you want to hear, but that is the way it is as far as I know.

Bob
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

out of curiosity has anyone ever tried to cut one with a water jet cutter? it might work since it doesnt exert pressure but rather cuts like a laser ???
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

this is my profession and i have cut down many windshields and when i hear of these guys who break 4 or more before they get it right amazes me. it isn't rocket science but in the hands of a skilled tradesman it is not that hard if it is a straight forward cut. it is only laminated glass and is a very simple operation especially with the modern windshields with no severe curves.
    there is always a danger that it can run but that is fairly minimal if you are patient and careful. they are crooks if they tell you they broke 4 or 7 doing it.
    unfortunately there are "so called professionals" ready to shaft you in all areas hiding behind the "i,ll do the best i can but..........."
    the truth is they just sold 7 windshields, not a bad days work

trevor
    http://www.taraglass.com

I'll agree with Trevor, but with some suggestions... The MOST important key to success is finding that RIGHT person! My suggestion is to look for someone who has extensive experience with cutting curved glass, glass benders, or, someone who specializes in cutting down windshields for Hot Rods, race cars, etc. If the cut you're making is on a compound curve (glass bent in 2 directions) GOOD LUCK, you may pay for a couple before they get it right! The membrane in the middle can be easily dissolved, once the glass has 'split' on both sides!
    Spend the time and find that RIGHT person. It's your dollar (s)!
    Sandy

you are right sandy.
    there are certain environments to successful cutting including , glass not to be too cold or warm , with laminated glass you score one side first and break it to the vinyl innerlay then turn it over and do the same on the other side ,it's important with bent glass to get them as parrallel as possible because you are cutting freehand
    most of the time you just pour metho into the cut and light it but in some circumstances the best and safest way is to just let the metho (metylated spirits) just disolve it.
    as sandy said you just need someone who knows what they are doing and takes the time and care.
    it seems if they can charge you for their stuffups , why should they care
    it annoys me because i am one who takes pride in what i do

AutoMX: I was looking into a water jet a few months back, It is amazing what they can cut,with depths up to 12 1/2" But the heat made by the abrassive doing the actual cutting will build up and shatter the glass. Just like if you sand blast a piece of glass too long in one spot it'll heat up and pop. You just have to find someone that knows glass and is experienced with doing custom work.

David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I have personally tried this several times. Save some money and see if Trevor has something available to fit your application. You will be money ahead in the end.

Trevman has the magic bullet in the glass department. I have tried water jet slurry as mentioned. Cuts fine, the glass was in one piece when I got it back, I stood it in my office on rubber foam padding and it cracked. I have no Idea why. The glass I got from Trevor is in the same place, stored the same way and is just fine after months and is handled on the weekends to get the remainder of the car together..

Go figure. Maybe it it the stress created during the manufacturing process containing curves etc that once cut release energy on a different portion of the class and it simply cracks.

Just a few pennies of thought to add to the conversation.

Dave

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

dave

the fact is that unless something hit the glass when it was stored or was under pressure, the crack was already there , you just couldn't see it , maybe just a tiny start of a crack ,* but it was there

trevor

finally hit 100 posts,* break out the champers