Thread: Me and my "Stupid Newbie" questions...

Me and my "Stupid Newbie" questions...

Hello all!

My name is Major Mathis and, as stated in the subject, I am a "Stupid Newbie" to the kit car industry. I call myself this, simply because I haven't the foggiest clue as to what direction to point myself in, in this industry. Though I am new to the kit car industry, I (personally) am not new to cars/motorsports. Roughly 14 years ago, I began to get intrested in cars (before this, I was all about motorcycles since I was only 10 years old). Since then, I have restored a '69 Mach 1, a '70 Boss 302, a "totaled" 84.5 20th Anniversry GT350, an '87 Mustang LX coupe, and my baby, a 85.5 SVO Mustang. I'm borde with my Mustangs, now, and have gotten rid of every sports car I owned. What a mistake. Now, it's time to get back into it with a new angle...Exotic kit cars.

Being new to the industry, I'm full of questions ... Stupid Newbie questions. I love the Lambo kits, (primarily the '99 Roadsters) but it seems that these are fairly difficult and costly to build. What could someone do with around $25K, 14+ years of fabrication experience (Steel, aluminum and fiberglass) and an entire shop full of fabrication "toys"? Just about the only thing that I do not have is a CNC, but I do have a milling machine though it is manual, not computerized. I'm not stricty resigned to the Lambo kits, either. I believe that I am actually leaning towards the Ferrari kits for my first build.

Though I am looking foward to sliding into town in another sweet ride, I am also looking to become a turnkey builder ... IF there is truely money to be made in it. I know that there has to be some, else there would not be so many companies building them. Where should I start to look for good Ferrari kits, and can you truely make money as a turnkey builder?

Sorry I'm so long winded, but I have not only these questions, but a few thousand more, as well. I'll ask those at a later date, though ;D !

Sincerely,

Major

Re: Me and my "Stupid Newbie" questions...

Major,
    From what I have seen, Ferrari kits don't hang out very long...Ferrari gets really offended. I have been looking for an un-mounted 328, F40, or (Sigh) a 288GTO kit for a loooong time...no luck.

I put a post up, hoping to garner some interest for a car that embodied Ferrari Design cues...without copying any one particular Ferrari... not too many people seem interested. Got some really cool pics, but not much except Lambo's seems to be out there for Fiero's, and none of the Original kits, (see V8 Archies page) have the look I am striving for. Not knocking anyones else's cars...(well except those Artero, and Jalapeno ones from Pisa lol) they just dont look Exotic.
    Here in California...there are a couple of builders around..but the specialize in one of two things...Cobras, or Diablos. Sigh!
    Steve

PS Can you get any more info on that FFR Car...I LOVE the Nose!!! Kind of a mix between 575 Maranello, and GT40. If that body would go on a Fiero frame.....Whoa!
    87 3.1Turbo GT Spyder

Major,
    From what I have seen, Ferrari kits don't hang out very long...Ferrari gets really offended. I have been looking for an un-mounted 328, F40, or (Sigh) a 288GTO kit for a loooong time...no luck.

I put a post up, hoping to garner some interest for a car that embodied Ferrari Design cues...without copying any one particular Ferrari... not too many people seem interested. Got some really cool pics, but not much except Lambo's seems to be out there for Fiero's, and none of the Original kits, (see V8 Archies page) have the look I am striving for. Not knocking anyones else's cars...(well except those Artero, and Jalapeno ones from Pisa lol) they just dont look Exotic.
    Here in California...there are a couple of builders around..but the specialize in one of two things...Cobras, or Diablos. Sigh!
    Steve

PS Can you get any more info on that FFR Car...I LOVE the Nose!!! Kind of a mix between 575 Maranello, and GT40. If that body would go on a Fiero frame.....Whoa!
    87 3.1Turbo GT Spyder

Lambo Kit : : : : : : :
    If you have never rebuild a car or have a little experiece working on cars I will strongly suggest that you do not start by building a Diablo ( which many believe is the most difficult kit to put together ) . Do the math- kit 6k, car 2k, Hardware 1k ,shipping 1k, Parts Accessories and instalation misilanious.Total about 22K OR MORE.
    I estimate that it will take aboute 2 to 5 years to complete. check out "lambolounge.com" , "lambobuilder.com" This will give you a better idea on what is involve in building one of thes kits. You might consider buying a partially built kit or a used kit car ready to go you might try Fiero Factory there kits are Ferrari based with a non strech one of the easyiest.Try These Links:E-Bay has a lot of junkers so be careful and take your time.(If it looks like crp its crp)Do a lot of reading first!
    http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/browse/Collector.html
    http://www.kitcars.com/classifieds/
    http://www.fierosails.com/fierosecrets.html
    http://robrobinette.com/drl.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/t...487/index.html
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Major:
    If you want to build a 355 kit correctly the first time with rocker panels, clean fitting parts etc., call Joh Watson. 706-328-3311. He can help you, even mount the car on a Fiero platform for you. He does it right the first time.

Regards,

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.