Thread: total newbie

total newbie

I stumbled across kit cars while I was trying to figure out the best way to get a fast car for cheap...real cheap.
    I've got a ton of questions, but im sure you guys have played 20 questions with newbies a billion times already.
    Im looking for a fast car that's street legal and preferrably has heat/ac....and is cheap.
    safety is my biggest worry... im not gonna get anything without airbags. Is it even possible to put airbags in a kit car?

can anyone suggest some good books or articles?

Re: total newbie

possible yes but what you want is totally the opposite of what kit cars really are. sure there are great performing kir cars out there but only the noble, ultima, and westfields will get you relatively cheap performance.

about airbags: yes its possible to put one in but its usually too much hassle and cost, as well as the fact that its not designed for a kitcar (might not even go off in a crash) :P

count on $25k+ to get a decent car.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

You could get a Cobra pretty cheap. But, all cars are kits at some stage...why not buy a Mustang and wedge something big under the hood - that would be cheap (well, cheaper).

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    count on $25k+ to get a decent car.
    ouch, didn't realize cost was so steep. Saw some kit cars goin for ~3k on ebay and figured they would cost less than a factory-made car

Quote Originally Posted by thisisausername
    Saw some kit cars goin for ~3k on ebay and figured they would cost less than a factory-made car
    That is just for the fiberglass body panels($3000). You will still need a motor and transmission($5000 setup on my car), suspension/brakes($8000), chassis preparation and modifications($2000), interior($5000), safety items like seatbelts, airbags(not used on mine but count on another $1000), tires/wheels($4000), paint prep/body work($5000).

As you can see, you could easily have 2-3 years build time and $35,000 into building a kit car from scratch.

Dont get me wrong, I have also seen $1000 body kits on a $750 fiero(which has no airbags or much performance in the stock setup).

Looks,speed, and safety cost money and it all comes down to how fast and safe do you want to be?
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Well if you set down and think about it Kitcars are cheap compared to normal production cars. You can take a Toyota supra hook it all up but its alot of work and it will cost a sh!t load of money depending on what you want it to do. But in the end its still a toyota supra. Or you can buy the so called greatest bang for the buck deal the Z06 but hom many of those do you see on a daly bassis? Two many if you buy a cobra replica not only could you smoke a Z06 for 10k less than a Z06 but you will get more looks also. If you want a high performance supercar wait until the GTM by factory comes out. I think its the best car for under 50k because its exotic and fast two things that make a supercar.
    So whats wrong with a replica?

That is true, very good point. I never looked at it like that.

I just always looked at it like...wow, I am investing $35,000 into a fiero. What is my problem?
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

I would rather invest 35k into a Fiero than over 70k on a civic that looks ridiculos with the lambo doors and a stupid sound system. At least theres more to fieros than a body kit and a twin turbo upgrade. Give me a lamborghini replica over a rice rocket anyday.
    So whats wrong with a replica?