Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW Passat trans

VW Passat trans

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you thing of using 2002 V6 5speed Passat trans as alternative to Audi 5000 and mating to LS1
    - can it handle 350hp
    - are the dimensions similar to the 5000?

Jerry

Re: VW Passat trans

isnt that tranny for a transverse mounted engine vs. an audi 5000 which is longitudonally mounted as far as i know
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I've got a Audi A4 Quattro Its not a trasnverse. The engine sits longitudonally 2.8L I'm sure the Passat is the same.
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

the 2001 W8 is longitudonally mounted, the 2003 TDI is transverse, so there is still hope.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I would use something like a 911 or an audi trainmission on the LS1/6 setup because the VW passat trans i dont think its that durible and it would only be a matter of time before the engine eats up the trans. Im not sure but its only a guess of what i would do and what i think would happen.
    So whats wrong with a replica?

the 4.0L W8 is surely not going to be intimidated, but that brings up the point: why would you even want an LS1 then if you got a new W8 engine? at the very least it will sound much better and get same power

The LS1 can produce up to 350bhp compared to the W8 which only has about 310bhp and the torque of both car are just about the same. So it could work but there is no granites on this one. Its only a 40bhp diffrence but keep in mind that the engine was built for high performance and the trans isnt.
    So whats wrong with a replica?

VW W-8 is big money guys
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

i agree. i wouldnt count it out, it is a possiblity but not a realistic one on a budget. if someone could get a crashed one, you never know, but none the less its too rich for my blood.

by the way, what do you mean by tranny couldnt handle performance? ???

Quote Originally Posted by capt,ginyu
    The LS1 can produce up to 350bhp
    I hope you mean it does produce 350bhp (stock), becuase a LS1 CAN produce a lot more then that.