Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS plastic

ABS plastic

Does anyone have any idea how hard abs plastic is to work with? I know there are alot of companies that make aftermarket bumpers, side skirts, rockers, etc.. out of ABS. Is that something you need a manufacturing plant to pull off?
    Darren

Re: ABS plastic

I belive it has to be vacuum formed so you might need vacuum lines, molds or dies, PVA bags, kilns to liquify the ABS, and much more. They might even be injection molded, which would be even more of an outrageous setup.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

All these years of seeing stuff about "ABS" plastic and I have no idea what that stands for. Anyone know. I know it's not Anti-lock Braking System. ;D

Awsome Black Superplastic ;D
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

That plastic is terrible!. Most ricers use it on their hondas but if you see how duriable they are there not i can kick a sideskurt and it would end up cracking. Fiberglass is much better than plastic
    So whats wrong with a replica?

body kits are made out of PURim not ABS, ABS is a hard plastic of the styrene family, more typically used in interior applications , it can be purchased in sheet form and makes excellent vac form components.

how do you make the vacum molds? maybe its urethane I was thinking of? What is the best material you could replicate a car from, that wont require much finish work? Granted, that has alot relies on the quality of work.
    Darren

i may get this wrong so please correct me but:

vacuum infusion is when molten plastic resin is put into molds and the vacuum ensures that it covers everything evenly.
    vacuum forming is where a flat plastic panel is heated until it is maleable, while a vacuum pump sucks air out until the panel fits onto the mold.

either way, the panels would be plastic literally, which could possibly be cheap, but they wouldnt hold up to high air resistance or normal driving.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

PU can be sprayed into an open mold, it would require a 2 stage application , but it would produce panels that are durable dimensionally stable and relatively inexpensive compared to a PURim process, However If you are lookiing for the most cost effective method the Fiberglass will win every time.
    However If you want to produce OEM style components You can make a injection mold tool using castable tooling resins and then rent a injection machine and make Polyprop or ABS or PMMA or whatever parts, the tool will probably last for about 300 -500 parts but you would get a very good part.( based on original you started with) - This process is ideal for limited production run stuff such as bumpers, lights etc.

I once attempted contacting GM on this ABS topic... But they were very rude in this effort..

I was trying to find out the excat same thig you are...

The Pontiac Fieros body panels are made of nothing but this... (i have abunch of fiero panels if anyone is interested... but i doubt there'd be any intrest...)
    ~Tim Bonner<br /><br />glassfabricant@gmail.com