Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So You Want Solid Rockers...Here’s How!

So You Want Solid Rockers...Here’s How!

(This is an old topic, I did a search and the pics were gone, so I updated it)

Here is the simple fix...
    All you have to do is cut the bottom of the door approximately 2 inches.
    Cut the rockers from the door.
    Glass the top of the rockers.
    Glass the rockers to the front and rear fenders.
    Make a cap for the bottom of the door.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: So You Want Solid Rockers...Here?s How!

Don't forget to cut the bottom of the front fender wing and the bottom of the rear fender in front of the wheel and glass those to the newly cut rocker. Make sure to eliminate any verticle cuts in the rocker as it's one piece wheel to wheel.

While you cutting panels to mimic the original and Mirage kits, you need to separate the front bumper, pre-hood fascia and front fenders too. Also, cut off ther rear bumper and the rear tail light panel. Make sure to cap all the rough cuts or at least roll them under so they don't look bad. Keeping the separations and even gap of 1/4 inch or less... as long as it's even.

Oh, and since you're cutting up an IFG clone anyway, you need to take down the roof line and level it out, lengthen out the hood to eliminate the extreme rake and cut the body straight down the center of the back, from bumper to windsheid surround, to take the extra 1.5 inches out of the right side and make the two rear halves even. While the two halves are apart, take the opportunity to even out the width increase along the doors into the rear wheel wells to get rid of that coke bottle effect.

It's all really pretty simple stuff. Just takes a couple of extra days and a little bit of Fiberglass. THEN, you'll have the rocker problem fixed and the car will look right.

DKOV -

Re: So You Want Solid Rockers...Here’s How!

DKOV -
    Just hot difficult is it to work with fiberglass in that fashion? You say that it's all pretty simple stuff, but it seems like a lot of work to me. Fairly easy stuff?

That was kinda my point

DKOV -

Spyder, I think what DKOV meant to say is "nice job, but you should have gotten a Mirage".

Anyhow, looks good to me.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

DKOV is just kidding around

DKOV -

I know
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Spider
    I just have to say that I think your car looks really good, if I may say I think it looks even better than the other one. I think the mirage looks good also and the fact that it comes in all separate panel is a huge plus, but one of the thing I don't like about the mirage is the *lower center part of the car. It looks like they extended the lower portion of the door and added the lower separate portion which to me sits much lower and it makes it look a little stubbie. like I said this is only my opinion and I am just trying to make the point that I think Spider did an AWSOME job on his car. Here are a couple of pic to compare for the ones that have not seen them.

Spider's car, this looks really nice *

this pic shows what I mean by the center of the car beeing too low compare to the rest of the car and the real one

ps DKOV I hope you don't mind that I borrow some of your pics if you do let me know and I will take them off

No problem using these pictures...

My only reply is, although I used it, that silver car is one of the poorest examples of a completed Mirage kit I've ever seen. I used that pic because of the side view and that it is similar to a real 355 shot on the site.

Note that this car has been lowered 3, yes THREE inches. It is not as noticible in the rear but in the front, it is MUCH to low and the front suspension geopmetry is ALL wrong, making the wheel even look out of place.

It is a valid point. The "belly" looks very low on this car. If you look close enough, you will see that it actually HITS the ground!

The real car's center is lower too, but it curves from low at the wheels to higher in the centers which balances it more. That is something that I will ahve to match on my car.

I also agree that Spyder's car is the very best looking stretch kit I have ever seen! Simply amazing!! I wish mine turns out HALF as nice as that!!!

Best!

DKOV -

If I cut the door 2 inches up and then seperate the rocker panel from the door wouldn't I need to redo the glass and the motor or would that still be ok?