Thread: Hello all. :)

Hello all. :)

Well I'm new here, so I apoligize in advance if I say something retarded, or ask a dumb question.* :P* I'm in northern Ontario.. seams like a few of you ppl are here too..* *I'm a big Nissan/datsun guy and I've been thikning of building a kit car for a few years now..* I re-built a '75 280z last winter.. drove the hell out of it this past summer, and I'm now rebuilding the engine and swaping to a 5 gear.* *Recently I ran across this; http://www.scorpionzcars.com/* on a datsun site I'm on; [url]www.hybridz.org

Re: Hello all. :)

I love the 70's Z-Cars - when planning my car project the choice was between build a kit car and restore a 240/280z - I couldn't find any Zs which hadn't had their floorboards eaten thru with rust within my price range, and so Fiero it was.

I think the main reason people started using the Fiero as a donor car is because its rear engined and because of its plastic body panels; there is the perception that you can just pop off the fieros body and snap on a new one without any change to the car's safety or anything.

If your creative and hardworking though you should be able to convert almost any car! Just make sure to PLAN first - will save more time and money than you can imagine!

Well I'm aware it's a little more involved than that, heh heh.. And after buying my Z for $800 and dumping another $3000 into it, I know what you mean about PLANING!!! On the safety thing.. I've seen fiero's after bad wrecks (worked in a scrap yard for a while.. saw a crashed one, and a burned one..) and I don't know how safe I'd feel in one.. There's another thing I like about the Z's.. they are METAL!! Well, they used to be.. mine is.. mostly metal again... Mainly though, (like I said) I'm leaning more towards the performance side.. and over the years I've had good luck with Nissans/Datsuns (200sx, TWO king cab trucks, 3 280zx's and now a 280z) as far as reliability and performance. The V6 Fieros were a bit better, but in my opinion still underpowered, and lacking decent handling/braking. Not bashing anyone, just my opinion.. I know you can build them up quite nicely, and probly take out my old Datsun any day. They've got the mid engine thing going for them, but I had a thought on that..

One idea I had was to take an early 200sx hatchback (a while back when I still had my 85) and convert it to mid engine using a 300zx turbo motor and front drive trany/driveshafts/suspension from a 90's Maxima. Basicaly, plop the whole front end of the Maxima into the back seat area of the 200sx. Then strip most of the body off, and do a 308 or 355 type conversion to it. I'm not sure if I'll do this exactly, but I'm starting my planing NOW, as I want to start a project like this (kit/re-body) within the next year or so..

I built an 85 mazda RX7 with a chev V8 a few years back, and this is the same way I started that project; About 8 months before I even bought anything, I looked all over the net, got info together, talked to people, and made a 'game plan' if you will.. Same with my 280Z, although I had more expiriance with datsuns by that point, so it was more like a month.. hehehe. Anyway, I probly won't post much for a while.. I'll be snooping around here and wherever else I can gather some info.

Welcome. For the 280 ZX DO NOT CONVERT OR CHANGE ANYTHING UNLESS IT IS STOCK. My first car was a 1985 Nissan 300ZX back when I was younger. And I learned my Z history. Hay you said 75' right? Then your car is a 260 not a 280, the 280 did not come out untill 78' and stopped at 83 1/2' when the 300z was introduced in 84'. Well it dosn't matter, the 240 (69 1/2'-74'), 260 (74'-78') and the 280 (78'-83 1/2') have recently become collector cars (in stock condition) since the stop of the Z series in 1996 and prices are starting to climb. Once the 350Z came out more and more poeple are becoming aware of the Z history and are starting to rebuild the older Z's and putting them in bubbles. I recomend keep the car as stock as possible because you can find a collector that will pay you alot more money then you would if the car was modified. If you wasnt to do a kit and you don't feel safe in a Fiero then do a custom chassie. There are plenty of resourcesand all of use will try and help.

Nope...
    Pit
    U got it wrong...my first car was a 1975 280z not a 260....

Ok.. not trying to start a flame war or anything.. heh.. Here's the thing.. it is a comon misconseption that the 280z and 280ZX are the same car. Not true.. compleatly diffent cars.

240z; 1969 to 1973
    260z; 1974 to 1975 (when it was replaced by..)
    280z; 1975 to 1978
    THEN... there was a complete redesign, and only the engine was caried over to the
    280ZX; 1979-1983 (yet another complete redisign, AND a new V6 engine..)
    300zx; 1984-1989, redesigned again for 1990+ but retained '300zx' name (got killed here around 94 I think..)

So yes, my 75 IS a 280Z. And if I was woried about resale, I wouldn't have put in the whale tail, swaped FI for SU carbs, molded the air dam to the front, and did a rear roll pan and 240z front bumper.. not to mention CRX seats, and later 280ZX wheels.. hehe.. Oh well, it's fun..

It was 3 in the morning and I was fading fast. Oh well I got a few dates and the Z and ZX mixed, But very close from the top of my head (considering the last time I did the research was in 96' when nissan stopped the production of the 300 to introduce the Skyline GTR). Thanks for fixing that. I figured that you might have wanted to get has high of a value as possible, that is why I recomended keeping the vehicle stock. I have seen some Z's in the 200 series sell for upwards of $30,000.00 in the past few years in private auctions. If you have the car just for the fun and not concerned about investment purposes then that is cool too considering that the car is a fun car. Good luck on your plans.