Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone building an Extreme kit on an MR2?

Is anyone building an Extreme kit on an MR2?

Hello all,

I have the panels just waiting to be fitted to my car but need to get my fiero 308 finished first.

Anyone else have one of the Extreme kits in the U.K. or anywhere?

Cheers

Andy
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

Re: Is anyone building an Extreme kit on an MR2?

what do you need to know about the extreme kit? i'am in the uk

Dont particularly need any info yet other than maybe, how difficult is the kit to fit & are there any areas I should be careful with?

I was just curious about how many of these kits were being built.

Just for info I am fitting 19" wheels to mine. I know I will need suspension mods but has anyone seen any other mr2 355 kits with 19's.

Where abouts in the U.K. are you disilva? Are you a member of any clubs?

Cheers
    Andy
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

This car was running 19" Rims

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...MR2/MR2Sig.jpg<br />Toyota MR2 Turbo with BAD kit and Real Ferrari F355 wheels.

did you get the build cd? if not contact terry at extreme and get one, i live in richmond, west london and i have a mr2/355 BAD gen 2 and have done a fiero factory 355 on a fiero and have helped terry out a couple of times.
    the only thing to be carefull of is when you cut the rear arches for the bigger wheels don't cut through the engine release cable cause it's hidden.

Cheers, I have now written on the arch in marker so i remember when i start to cut!

I got a copy of the cd & converted it to dvd which I need to let terry have a copy of. Its a bit basic in cirtain areas & the camera work makes me feel seasick after watching it!
    Still I made notes & captured some screenshots to help when I start to build.
    I have been thinking about trying to make an engine cover similar to the fiero ones discussed in the other topics. How much space is available between the top of the engine & the underside of the boot when it is closed?
    I thought about filling around the fake engine with some sort of cover to prevent anyone seeing the mr2 engine & using the boot as the area for the airboxes. All in my head at the moment as its a bit difficult to measure or visualise it with the mr2 boot etc still attached.

I was going to buy the fiero factory 355 when they first started 'building' it, but they lied about having a car ready & all they could show me even after 2 visits was a front bumper. I ended up buying a 308 from Roy kelly.

Cheers for the info

Andy

where are you in the uk? can you do me a copy of the build dvd i haven't got one,have you got a fiero 308 kit ?
    did you look at roy kelly's 355 kit while you was there?
    fiero factory will tell you everything you want to hear, then you pay then they take ages to pull there finger out,i have built a fiero 355 from them.sold it to get a BAD then extreme came out. did you get everything included from terry? so many questions!! ??? ???

Disilva,
    I am in the north west near Preston. I have a 308 on a 2.8V6 fiero (roy kelly kit) which I have had for about 5/6 years now. Although for the last 3 years it has been sat in a lockup waiting for a respray & some attention. I have now managed to buy my own house, build a garage for it & now proper work has recommenced!!!

In a fit of madness I decided I NEEDED to own one of the extreme kits & bought it to fit to my everyday MR2 T-bar.
    I also spotted some perfect alloys which are 19" but look just like the 355 ones, so I had to have those. Fitting the damn things under the front shocks is quite likely to cause problems, but then I never did choose the easy route.

So now I have to finish the 308 to a state where I can use it as my everyday car & then I can properly start on the Extreme.

Terry at mirrorfinish was very helpfull, he put up with me asking loads of questions & allowed me to poke around his own build & take lots of photos. He was a bit late delivering the kit, but he relies on the deliveries & timings from extreme & I had said I wasnt in a major rush for the panels as I had the 308 to finish.
    He delivered the panels to my door for a very reasonable sum & they all arrived undamaged were excellent quality & all brakets bolts etc were present.

I havent seen the roy kelly panels but I have seen the finished cars (at our club stand - Italian exotic replica club) & they do look pretty good. The advantages to roys kit is that it doesnt require any suspension drop, but the side scoops dont look quite as good & the bonnet line is a little too steep. The car looks good quality though & I think includes lights etc for less money than the extreme.
    I suppose its a case of how accurate & how much you want to spend. Just to add, Roy is a good bloke to deal with & let me look round his build cars & take photos etc, he was also very helpful whilst building the 308 kit & was available with advice for the build.

As such for customer service I cant really fault either, I just personally feel the extreme looks better.

Roys kit car be seen at www.mr2kits.co.uk & terry's extreme is at www.mirrorfinishuk.net.

Any more questions let me know & I will try to sort you out a copy of the DVD.

Cheers
    Andy

thanks andy, if you can do me a copy of the build dvd. another pointer for you is what size wheels have you got? extreme need spacers for the front and back. you need to give the bottom of the springs housing a good whack with a hammer to get the clearance for the wheels to fit.
    i have delt with both terry (mirrorfinish) and roy kelly both are fine
    roy kelly kit s are a nearly complete package with everything included but size and authenticaty is not as correct to extemes. i have a BAD gen 2 with 18" wheels from roy kelly

My alloys are 19". Even with the hammer approach (which I am not at all keen on) and 235/30/19 tyre its going to be tight.
    I was going to run

235/30/19 on the front which gives a radius of 312mm compared to 308mm for a 225/35/18 which I have been told fits.

I know 4mm doesnt sound much, but when you are hammering the base of the spring mount to get the 18" to fit it will be tight for the 19".

I want to look into raising the height of the spring mount at the bottom of the strut & using a shorter spring. The springs have to be lowered anyway for the extreme kit so why not drop them a little more & raise the spring base.

Anyone any comments about the idea?

Just to give you an idea attached should be a photo of the trial fitting!!!!!! Bigfoot MR2 anyone!

Cheers
    Andy

Attached Images Attached Images