Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian legalities

Canadian legalities

Can anyone help me with some legal stuff?

If I purchase a chassis with a vin number on it, and drop a different motor and tranny in it and then use a body of choice is there a right or wrong way of registering this vehicle, and what happens if there is no vin number on the chassis?

thanx

Re: Canadian legalities

Ari should be able to answer that question,he's from Canada.Try the internet for the Canadian DMV (or what ever you call it there).I think it's registered like a dune buggy (they don't have a vin number,I belive they issue one).
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

I'm not sure, but I've heard a few things about this;
    1) For example; a Fiero w/V8 and Ferrari kit could be licenced as a FIERO, assuming the vin tag is still on the dash. It is a Fiero chasis (modified or not, it still is) and as long as emisions arn't a concern, a bigger engine doesn't mater. My advice would be to safety check the fiero FIRST, change into your name and THEN do the conversion(s) work
    2) Anothr example; A custom frame/chasis with V8 and Ferrari kit would need to have a safety inspection...posibly an emisions test? I don't know for sure.. and then it could be licenced as a "kit car" (or whatever they call it) From what I've heard, you will be issued a VIN # and be good to go, but this way will likely require you to insure it through a special company. Most regular companies will not insure a kit car, or even an engine swaped vehicle. (my company wouldn't insure me on an 85 RX7 that I swaped in a 350 V8.. )

There is a guy around here with an AC Cobra kit car running around in the summer, I've seen him at a few car shows. This is no help right now, but I can ask around, maybe someone knows someone that knows him.. and can ask how he licenced his car.

If a car was last registered as a Fiero, and still could be registered as a Fiero, then it is a Fiero. No matter what the body style is.

A full out of province inspection is required for insurance purposes. Nowhere on an out of province inspection form does it ask for a full report on identification between driveline, chassis or body components.

If you are registering a hand built car or replica, a full government inspection is required, at that time a VIN tag will be issued, and it is usually installed by the pin where the drivers door latches. Full inspections such as these do get the numbers checked in a database to insure all parts are legit.

As for not being insured on a vehicle with modifications, I'm not sure where you are located, if you have problems insuring in Alberta, please tell me, I've never had a problem. I know the company I deal with would love some new business.

Quote Originally Posted by X-OTIC
    As for not being insured on a vehicle with modifications, I'm not sure where you are located, if you have problems insuring in Alberta, please tell me, I've never had a problem. I know the company I deal with would love some new business.
    Well, unfortunatly I'm in Ontario. : I know of several companies now that will insure a modified or kit car, but at the time I built my V8 RX7 (about 5 years ago) it was quite a piss off to me when I called my company and they said "No." ??? I ended up going through another company and ..er, forgeting to tell them I had a V8 in it.. :-[ If I had been in an accident, or got in trouble with it however, I would have been srewed..

Thanx for the info

I happen to be in Ontario, and am trying to make sure I do things the correct way, the Gov't web sites are not much help either. If I was to make a custom chassis, install a numbered motor to a different gearbox and tranny is this an issue, how much of the car can actually be purchased parts where I simply do the install.

thanx again

kitcarnut

# 1
    no insurance want's a kit car.If they do, you'll pay like $3K!
    keep it as Fiero on your ownership, get it appraise and call Lant Ins. they do that kind of stuff.
    # 20years or older cars no need for E test. most cars no need it at all in small towns.
    #3 any machanic will give you Safety Check . Lights, brakes, mirrors etc. etc.

#1 WOW, life in Ontario must be rough. If I bought a new Porsche, my rate would be about that. If someone said that would be my rate for a Fiero....................... I guess I'd look for another insurance company.

#2 A Fiero is a Fiero. The body panels don't make a car something it isn't. If someone trys to insure a "replica" as a Ferarri then so be it, but, it's still a Fiero (Just a very beautiful version). A full proper appraisal with reciepts and pictures is alway a good idea for any restored, custom or specialty automobile. In the event of damage, it wouldn't be written off for a $2,500.00 accident.

#3 Any mechanic cannot just give you a safety check on a custom "home-made" chassis. There are 2 types of inspections in Alberta, not sure about Ontario. There is a general insurance inspection, pretty straight forward and easy to pass. Then there is the out of province inspection, this one is a tough one, a cracked windsheild, body damage, or anything out of the ordinary will fail it.

Obtaining a VIN is not as easy as it seems. No mechanic can just safety a home built chassis car. You can't just go to the DMV and ask for a VIN. This is a matter of concern to the federal government, here the inspection and parts serial # verification is done by the RCMP. It should be in Ontario too, call OPP maybe they know. After it all checks out, a VIN is issued, then it can be inspected for insurance purposes. The biggest item you would need to protect yourself is to keep your reciepts! This way if any of the serial # from the engine block, or transmission are in question, or any of the other parts, you have a back up. Good luck!

What do you plan to build?

Quote Originally Posted by concept
    Thanx for the info

* * * *I happen to be in Ontario, and am trying to make sure I do things the correct way, the Gov't web sites are not much help either. If I was to make a custom chassis, install a numbered motor to a different gearbox and tranny is this an issue, how much of the car can actually be purchased parts where I simply do the install.
    Wellcome to the worst/most expencive place to buy and build cars; Ontario! :P After all the 'red tape' I went through just to licence my old '79 Jeep J10 that came over from the states, I have learned how to work around the system here. Best plan is to get a car (20 years or older is good to, as you skip out on the e-test) to use as the 'donor' for at least a few parts or just a bit of chasis. Before doing any mods, safety it and put it in your name. IE; "Pass Fit" on the top of the ownership, and your name on it. When they ask if you want new plates, just say no, you are going to restore it over the next year, or something like that. Perfectly acceptable, and legal. Then build what you want. In the end, even if it doesn't resemble the car you started with, you have a legal VIN# and an ownership which allows you to get plates easily (when the car is ready to drive) AND avoids more hoops to jump through for safetying/insuring it.
    Something else that may help with the insurance is the engine.. Say you plan to use a V8; Start with a car that HAS a V8.. Same for V6, which should be fairly cheep. V6 I like, because you can get some really good/powerfull ones (3.0 turbo, 3.8s/c, 4.3, ect) and swap them in for that claped out 2.8 and as far as the insurance company knows, STILL HAVE A V6!