Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic or Manual Tran?

Automatic or Manual Tran?

Im starting to get things lined up for my kit, but im basically still trying to decide on a Auto or Manual transmission.

Im just wondering what kind of performance differences there are.

Here are some things to consider..

1. Don't have much experience with Manual's. Can drive one, but don't have much time on it. Not too comfortable.

2. I don't have a burning desire to go fast, but I do like alot of pickup.

3. Having a Lambo roadster with automatic transmission does seem a little wrong.

So what should I do? Should I go for ease of use or go for authenticity?

Re: Automatic or Manual Tran?

Alli know is that you can usually get slightly better performance with a manual if you're really competitive, but the engine also puts more stress on the manual than the auto.

Once we're on this topic...

What are anyone's thoughts on clutchless manual tranny's?

If you drive in downtown traffic often (Like In Toronto, for example) Manual transmissions are a HUGE Biatch (Gota avoid my own swear word filter!). On country roads / merging on highways manual transmissions can be tons of fun...

I'm a tiptronic fan myself...

Hi
    About the auto trans, there is a guy that is almot done building a roadster on " lambobuilder.com" and he has an Cadillac northstar w/ an automatic and I think he has done an excelent job on his car, I would suggest taking a look at his webb site.
    As fas as you wanting " alot of pick up" you could definetly get that out of and automatic. There is a guy on Pennocks -fero X- that has a fiero w/ the 3.8 seriers II supercharged and he is supposed to be running 12.008 sec on the 1/4 mile with an automatic *
    If you intend to drive the car just to cruise around and once in a while step on it I would say the auto w/ a 3.8 supercharge eng that would give you really good torque and there is nice aftermarket supply for that eng, on the other hand if you will be driving the car to its limits maybe taking the car to track events you should go w/ the stick w/ a 3.4 DOHC like what DKOV has on his car . To find out more about the 3.4 DOHC do a seach on DKOV post and you should find a lot of info.
    The bottom line is, think about how you would be driving *the car and them make your descision. I hope this helps. *

Abouth the clutchless manual I have never driven one only have read a lot about them. I have driven a Porshe turbo and a viper and I could not even imagine not shifting and using a clutch on cars like that

Go with your gut feeling, itís usually right.
    Remember you will be driving it, not those looking at it.
    I personally went with the manual, but thatís just me. And Yes I have grinned the gears in front of people. :-[
    Hereís a kicker, if I build another 355 I would probably do an automatic and do a paddle steering wheel.
    Filip:
    I wouldn't call this race car clutchless but I have driven a couple of bmws with the auto/manual shift, 328 and 330, I hated it. It shifts when it wants to.

My gut tells me to go with the Auto. Just for the fact that I haven't driven a stick in around 8 years. So I think Ill go that way.

Whats the best tranny in this instance?

Im looking at the V8 archie as a possible engine.

I would go for the automatic.I once parked a stick on a hill and even though it was in gear it rolled back chunk,chunk,chunk,chunk I had to park it on the street.and remember if this happens with the engine off you lose your power brakes.It can also lose compression over a period of hours.You could use the emergency brake but how often do those work.Just think about being stuck in stop and go traffic with your foot holding the clutch in.Even though the stick is faster (Top End).I reccomend the automatic.(Possibly a modified V6)Good Luck
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

It will be a loooong time before I drive another vehicle that's automatic. Stick is way too fun to pass up. And with parking on a hill, pull the e-brake and put it in 2nd gear. Never had my car roll while parked.

I am going with the manual trans also just because all the real Diablos are stick. aren't they? the motor setup I will be using ,the stick will slow it down (3.8 buick GN motor setup) but I will sacrifice that for the feel of a stick, besides why would you want to drive you roadster in traffic? it should be driven for pleasure and fun on weekends.

prasad

Why would a stick slow the car down? Often times, an automatic transmission can rob 30 or more horsepower from the final RWHP. Stick is much more efficient for the motor, and also, just more fun to drive.