Thread: Used kit car prices

Used kit car prices

I'm a newbie to this forum and have a few questions. I'm interested in buying a used, low milage "Lambo" or "Ferrari Spyder" TR/355/Daytona/California replicar and have been looking at the ads on kitcars.com ( http://www.kitcar.com/lambo4sl.html ). I know Ferrari has sued builders (and some sellers) of such cars and the inventory has been drying up. However, I also read of the terrible resale value of such modified Fiero car kits (especially w/the v6's) and am concerned about spending the $20k-$30k asked by most sellers for such cars often w/20k+ miles on them. Some are even asking $40-$70k which is near the price of the "real" cars. Are these cars overpriced at those levels? Will they likely re-sell at near those levels? Would a front engine on a 'Vette frame like the Precision Cal Spyder be a better resale bet than a Fiero mod? Thanks.

Re: Used kit car prices

I'm a newbie too, but from what I gather, people will sell for what they can get. The cars almost cost that much to build from scratch (by hand) anyway, depending of course on the care and detail put into the car.

kitcarnut

If you build the replica by your self and after 2-3 years your done ,you will never ever get the money you put in to it.some cars that are well build and detail should hold its value to reasonabel price level.also some people buy finished kit spend the money but after taking ride in it, things don't look the way they had in mine,specialy when you see same kit and it is totaly better.so make sure you know the original car and then compare it to replica and drive it on freeway, any car looks way cool while driving 40mph around the block! Yeah this baby can do 150mph, Right. some can't do even over 60 due to poor frame and suspension set up.that is my opinion .

Welcome to the message board, guess you took my advice from the NG alt.autos.kitcars. and joined. Hope most of us can answer your questions.

Also a point to remember is the the replica's doesn't cost as much to fix, compaired to the real Ferrari.the V6 can be replaced with small block V8's too, or put a turbo on the 2.8L.
    www.xvelocity.com

From observations, in the past 5 years 355 resell prices varied substantially. "Completed" cars ranged between $11K-$45k, which depends on many things. How complete a "completed" car is also varies. Using an original 355 as a benchmark for details and design features, a car with a basic ground-up rebuild/resoration from suspension to Fiero V-6, new interior, and at least OEM f355 lighting would be priced in the $25K-$35K range. With H.O. engine swap $30k-$45k. Car in photo sold for $45, stock motor:

The car in that picture is a Mirage kit.

Don't really care for that top though.

45K huh? WOW!!!

DKOV -

Amida:Where did the car sell for that much? Ebay?

I built and sold a 25th Anniversary Countach replica several years ago. 350 V8 TPI longitudinal. It was sold within three days of advertising it on a kitcar site. I got the full asking price of $30,000. I took the guy for a ten minute ride and he'd made up his mind. He bought the car without ever driving it. I drove the car almost four hours to his house with him leading. I never even saw him drive the car. I'm not trying to brag about the quality of my own work, but if a kitcar is well built it doesn't take much to sell it. I have a much harder time selling a nice Fiero for book value.

Ari: Ebay '99