Thread: Car Shipping advice?

Car Shipping advice?

Hi everyone again! I am flying to LA from St. louis on friday to inspect a 70-80% complete countach. If everything checks out then I will be prepping it to be picked up by an open air carrier. I am trying to think of things that need to be done. The car does not have any window glass in it yet. Anyone know why I shouldn't use heavy clear plastic and duct tape on these? Will it hurt the primer or gel coat other than the mess of cleaning it off? Any better ideas? I was planning on using the almighty duct tape to hold down any loose panels also. The engine lid will need to be tied down also I think. The doors I guess duct taped closed? I will try to make sure it gets a couple of gallons of gas in it too. The seller said they relocated the radiator the other day but did not try to reattach the hoses. I guess I will try to get something on there to keep coolant moving. Has anyone ran a V6 without coolant? How long? About the gas,,,,They just mounted the body,,,,Will I be able to get to the filler? AAAAAAAAHHHH.
    SO MANY QUESTIONS!!! I am getting excited,,,, even with the nervousness. Quick answers would be appreciated as I check this site every chance I get. The advice on this site has been invaluable already. Thanks ahead of time! *;D

Re: Car Shipping advice?

Looks like a pretty good kit. About the engine don't even try running it without coolant. Get some help and push the car. I would try and use a bunge strap or the stretch tie downs to hold the loose pieces, then get a good car cover and strap it down , then i don't think you will have any problems. Be sure and show us lots of pics when you get back. Good luck on your trip.

Can't use a car cover because the carrier requires that they be able to move the car in case they need to jockey cars around on the transport. That is why I was considering the tape. I would rather have covered it too. I had just figured out how to post pics today also! AWESOME SITE!

How long will it take the car company to delivere the car to you. I don't think i like the idea of them moving the car around as they see fit to.I ran into an add that the car company Euroworks had a project car for sale, might want to check it out , its closer to you too. http://www.euroworksltd.com/

Nice find Larrybud: When I had my kit shipped, I had the doors duck taped in place, As well as the front hood. It held together nicely and leaves very little glue / residue behind, Nothing a good cleaner won't remove. And it did not take any gel coat off with the tape when removed.

Defenatly get the cooling system working before running the engine. I would be a little worried about them moving the car around, Mabye you might check with some companys that specialize in moving these type of cars. Companys such as Exotic Car Transport, I hear they have really reasonable rates,And there enclosed carriers.

Good luck on you trip, Let us know how it turns out

Try Passport Transport (314) 878-5777. Many of our Lotus Esprit Owners club members have used them to ship our Beloved Esprits.. Wonderful work and great pricing.

DKOV -

;D Thanks again to everyone who replied! Funny you said Passport, They are here in St. Louis. They wanted to use an enclosed carrier and would have been twice as much. As far as the transport moving the car around. It needs to run so they could move it to get to other cars ahead of it to deliver. I will be there for the loading it now appears and will try to convince the driver to just put it up behind the cab so as not to have to mess with it. Turns out the coolant is still in the car. Just the radiator needs to be reattached. anyone know if the hoses will temporarily work or if I need to get some kind of hose. I will be getting plenty of duct tape and some 6mil plastic for covering the windows when I get there. I think I will be sandwiching the plastic between some tape "netting" to help keep it from blowing or being sucked out. I I don't do something, Then it will pour down rain on the truck for the entire 3-4 days it takes to deliver it to me! Things appear to be working out so far. The pics above were prior to mounting, I haven't seen the most current pics yet.

Hey Larrybud: As long as the original rad hoses are long enough to reach there shouldnt be a problem. There may be coolant still in the system, But you should bring some extra coolant to top up the system completly (including rad) with you. As well you should burp the air out of the system, Just to make sure you don't hurt the engine. Good luck, And post some pics when you get it home

Trev,