Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the best way to replicate a v-12 engine sound?

whats the best way to replicate a v-12 engine sound?

oops i think that i posted this ealier in the wrong spot, so i will post it here again. if its in the wrong spot please let me know thanks.
    im thinking about getting a contach replica and i wanted to replicate a v 12 sound. i will use a fiero with a v-6. do anyone here have expierince with that kind of stuff? i know it wont be the same as the real thing, but whats the closest to it?

Re: whats the best way to replicate a v-12 engine sound?

The only way to get a V-12 sound with a V-6.......... is to add an extra V-6
    Sorry. I had to do that.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

;D ;D ;D good one, but seriously any ideas?

if you expect to get the ferrari sound, you'll need a big engine with variable valve timing, and theres alot of those around, your options are: ferrari engine, or ferrari engine. ;D

the good thing about a countach is that lambos do not have such a unique sound as ferraris, so using a real ferrari exhaust (rear engined ferrari only obviously, like 288 308 355 512 Testarossa 360 etc..) with the stock v6 will usually be on par. a v8 will susally be hard to make it sound exotic since the makers go for the 'muscle car' sound (deep and gurgling).
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

The only way to get that special V12 sound is with a V12. You are asking for a Chihuahua to bark like a rotweiler. Sure you can make the Chihuahua mumble into a megaphone like tube, but the lung capacity and wind pipe are just way to different. The only way to cheat the system is to do what BMW did with the Z4 and put a speaker in the car that is hooked up to the VSS and fake the sound. The only other thing you can do is to put the largest muffler you can find on it and hope that the car is as quite as possible.

Do not let us stop you from you building a tuned exhaust. Go buy some physics of music books and going at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    a v8 will susally be hard to make it sound exotic since the makers go for the 'muscle car' sound (deep and gurgling).
    I wont be fooling anybody with my 347 stroker motor. It has a cam with .572" lift and a gear driven timing set. The 'lumpy' idle barely stays running below 2,000RPMs. Not to mention I have lung tube headers turned upward and bolted directly to my ferrari muffler and right out. No exhaust at all.

What can I do to make mine sound like a real ferrari :-\
    Bob ;D
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Well put Brastic and AutoMX. As AutoMX said a lambo is easier to copy (try a big block chevy) but good luck with the a ferrari. People ask this question so much I think someone should make a sticky about it.

I dont know about a v12 but maybe you could use the v-6 (VQ35DE) from a 350z or G35 or maxima.
    Then hook up some nice pipes from japan and u'll have one mean exotic sounding car. If you have some extra cash why add a twin turbo
    for even more power?

http://www.everything350z.com/exhaust.html

Check out the

Blitz - NUR-Touring
    Powerhouse - Amuse R1 Titan
    Tommy Kaira - Z type II
    Central20 - Z-Sport

They would be my top 4

that is so much money that you could very easily set up or get someone to set a BMW V12 with the right ECU and transaxle and adapter plate. hell you can add the 355 exhaust or a good 3rd party exhaust and come quite close to the lambo sound.

its easy for people to say they like a feature of a car and suggest using it in a kit car, but in reality its not simple. you cant 'just' use a supra engine in a rear mounted position, and if you did you wouldnt get supra performance since you would use a porsche or audi transaxle (if better or worse performance remains to be found out).

you could use the nissan engine but you would need to chop up the exhaust or use a completely different one, which would change the sound anyway... or you could have a "custom 8 foot long exhaust tip" ;D
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Well, if you really, really wanted to try, you could get a small displacement V8 (4.0l or less), get a camshaft that delivers peak in the mid to high, custom fit tubi exhaust, get whatever lightweight internals you can. It'll sound "exotic". In theory.