Thread: .Kit car building career???

.Kit car building career???

.I was just wondering if people actually make a living from making kit cars and building them then turn around and selling them.? .Its prolly a stupid question and prolly asked before but you guys seem very nice so i wanted to ask,thanx-chris

Re: .Kit car building career???

Quote Originally Posted by drkbl4ckhe4rt
    .I was just wondering if people actually make a living from making kit cars and building them then turn around and selling them.? .Its prolly a stupid question and prolly asked before but you guys seem very nice so i wanted to ask,thanx-chris
    a few, but they are high dollar operations with quality unique product

aconcepts

Chris think about it long and hard because every waken moment of yourlife will be in it
    not only is there that but you also have to put your own money into it at times
    alot of work and alot of back stabbing in this busness so it is up to you
    think about it

Quote Originally Posted by drkbl4ckhe4rt

No.. Replicas do not pay off, one off's and custom's do though. Unless you are able to do 98.9999% of the work in house
    you will have ahard time coming out ahead.. quality kills you.. people don't understand this..and then they say I would never pay that much "its just a replica" no one understand unless they built it themselves...

I have over $100K in projects in my shop right now and the sad thing is... I've had to front all the money.. hey anyone wanna buy a cup of ice cold Lemonade?* I'm trying to make it back :
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

This is a smart thing that you are doing by asking questions. I will tell you that from personal experiance that if you don't have the basic knowledge of welding, framing, fiberglass, bodywork, molding, painting, sewing, sculpting and basic engineering skills, oh and one last thing more then $40,000.00 to invest into building your first car to be able to reinvest that money then DON"T THINK ABOUT IT. You already know the mechanical side, now take some classes at a community college and learn the other skills and save up some money then go for it. If you want to do it that is the best and easiest way. If not you will spend a fortune paying some one else build the cars for you. And trust me it will be a fortune.