Thread: New Member Here

New Member Here

Hey All, My name is Jonathan. I was originaly looking for a place to sell my kit because I quit, But after reading some of your post I thought I would give it another try.
    Thanx
    Also since you are all into this kinda thing. Maybe someone will be able to help me. I need a place that knows how to do a frame stretch. I have 2 fiero's One of them has the stretch on it but I am told that it is not squared and it would be pretty dangerous to ride this car :'(. Soooo to the junk yard it will go. I have another that I want to get stretched. Only this time I would like it to be stretch right. So if ANYONE knows a place I can take it to, PLEASE let me know.

Re: New Member Here

Welcome to the Forum!

You could probably salvage that frame, and have it redone, don't know if it is worth it to you. It isn't hard to build a jib level to do the stretch. Where do you live? I know a place around here, Montgomery Al. They do limo stretches. They have a huge platform jig they use to keep them straight. Maybe there is a place in your area with a limo shop. Or any competent frame shop should be able to do it. Take it in with out the body panels and it shouldn't cost that much.

I live in San Francisco, Ca. I can have the car shipped if anyone can give me the name of a place

I know people here who can do it, amybe even Ed Parks at the Fiero Factory in Huntsville might be able to. You can contact him throught:

http://thefierofactory.com/

or call him at:The Fiero Factory phone number is 256-420-5391 and our home number is 256-882-1568.

but honestly, for what it costs to ship, and for where you are located, I'd look and see if a frame shop can tackle it or check the yellow pages for a company that builds limo's. They will have the equipment to do the job right. (Shipping will run $700 min to Alabama (each way).

Hold on a second, the frame stretch is not that difficult. There are tons of articles about it. How do you know that the first car is junk? Did you measure it? Get out a tape and start measuring!! Besides, it is the cradle that makes the most difference in the stretch - that is what most of the suspension is attached to. All the chassis jigs in the world aren't going to do you any good because even a chassis shop will measure and clamp the parts before welding. A chassis jig just gives you a level surface to start with.
    We always hear that the the concerns around cutting up the car, I think the reason is that kit builders who have not cut up a car yet have not built up the confidence that comes with having done it and all the other hard work that you have to do. YOU CAN DO IT!!! A year from now after this stretch is far behind you and you are agonizing about how to hook up a door latch, you will look back and laugh at all the concern you put into the stretch.

First off... welcome to the forum...

Here is a Fiero stretching method link that might help you out… http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/F...Stretching.htm

I do agree with Janice Ho that you should do a lot of the welding yourself, but if you do not a lot of experience in welding you might get some help before starting off on the frame.

I believe that you can have all your piece pre cut, your chassis leveled and start cutting… after you have tried welding your piece and if it doesn’t look right to you, then call in a contractor welder (they will come over to your garage – they have everything on there trucks) and in less then an hour you will have it all professionally welded. It’s not that expensive to have someone come out (just hide the beer). ;D

I also live in the SF bay area and I know someone that has a Fiero chassis stretching jig in the Santa Clara area, write me and I will send you some contact names and names of other builders in our area.

Welcome to the Forum...Don't junk the car any thing can be fixed within reason. As for the frame being bent have it cut and redone. it would be a waste to see it in a junk yard.

It's nice to know that you haven't given up yet...good luck hope this forum will answer many of your questions.

www.xvelocity.com

Welcome to the Forum...Don't junk the car any thing can be fixed within reason. As for the frame being bent have it cut and redone. it would be a waste to see it in a junk yard.
    He is right, but since I have another running car this ione may have to go. If anyone wants this frame you can have it. You just have to make arrangements to pick it up.