Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad attempt at replicating a ferrari emblem

Sad attempt at replicating a ferrari emblem

i can definitely say that Sculpey isnt good for small items, and it's not a good mold material for repeated use.
    oh well now i gotta get some hardening latex.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Re: Sad attempt at replicating a ferrari emblem

Where do you get the meterial?? I'm also ineterested in doing something small...
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

you can search google for sculpey, its available in many art stores
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I presume you used the sculpey to take a mould from the original badge, but what did you use to cast from that?

& how do you make sure the back is flat?
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

a. the part that came out obviously doesnt have a flat back
    b. i used resin to make the part, which is easy and flexible but gets droopy in the heat, so next time i'm adding fibers
    c. i poured resin directly into the sculpey mold. that part worked pretty good but the sculpey disintegrates after 4 or 5 parts in small areas like the groove in the letters, no good.

latex will solve that problem

AutoMX

What kind of latex are you talking about?* the rubber stuff?? where can I get it?* More info about it??

Thanks
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Auto

Use casting resin!* It is clear and you can use pigment to insted of paint
    Is the mold the the rubbery stuff you put in the microwave, then turns like water then you poor it over the product, then cool and then you have a mold

the stuff i used for that is called Sculpey, it's used to make models in the movie industry since you can bake it and it hardens when cooled. it's just no clean enought hough, so i need to find a good latex compound to make the molds

I have some rubbery stuff that will do the job,sorry don't know the name.latex will not do it. i will have a go at a badge tomorrow for you Auto and i let you know how i got on.I ff it works i will fined out the name for you

thanks. i've seen some good results with some hardening latex, so it might also be worth looking at (it's also very easy to remove parts from the molds)