Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please!

Advice please!

I'll just run you by my plan, I hope it works out for me...

In December I hope to find a cheap, running MR2 to use as a donor for the Extreme 355 kit. For the cheapest possible price, I'd maybe look for one with a bad body (it won't need to have a good one if this works out) and maybe not the turbo model. Because I do love performance, I could always turbo it later.

I was thinking that after I accomplish this (if) I would then save up for the kit, which wouldn't take too long if I worked hard. However, I'd want to only buy the bare bones version ($7000). What else is needed in order to get the full exterior look of the 355 available through Extreme? I mean like spacers, etc (but excluding wheels).

I'd want it to just look like a complete 355 from the outside. Later on I'd of course save up for interior work and more detail, and maybe buy the Ferrari wheels then.

I was also wondering how the Ferrari Replica lights by Extreme compare to the authentic ones. If there isn't a very noticeable difference, I'd obviously want to get them instead and save some money.

Sorry if this is a dumb post, but I'm new to this stuff.

Any help is appreciated,
    Joe

Re: Advice please!

The donor is a tough decision - The SW20 is a fun car, but buying one as cheap as say, a Fiero, will be hard to do without sacrificing quality. And if the body is bad, that may indicate the level of care on other more vital pieces of the car.

Also, throwing a turbo on the naturally aspirated engine is not reccomended - that goes for turboing any car (without reworking internals). And a good turbo conversion will cost you a pretty penny. And then you'll still have only a slightly exciting car.

My suggestion is either buy a Fiero and get a different kit or buy the Turbo MR2. Then you can tune into larger horsepower numbers quite quickly. I myself would be inclined to go with a Fiero. You can find a few that have been converted to V8's. A small block Chevy engine can easily run into high-horsepower range fairly cheap and still maintain reliability. And it sounds much better then the 5S-FE and 3S-GTE engines you'll find in US MR2's.

Talk to Extreme I heard he can help with finding a cheaper donor. As for the sound I think that is a matter of opinion I personally like the 3s-gte.

Macktheknife please correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't a fiero with a V8 and a turbo mr2 be about the same price? I am not sure what they go for in the US.

My only concern in buying a Fiero + Fiero kit would be how authentic it looks. From what I've heard, the Extreme kit is best and fits on an MR2 (my reason for buying one).

I don't know how well Fiero kits compare.

just got a Mark1 (89) MR2 and after shopping around for a while to find it, i can tell you approximate prices.

your big problem is that you will have a hard time finding even a parts car for under $600. the MK2 (SW20) are popular among tuners and ricers so the bodys will amost never be in a bad shape, and prices for a good running one mechanically is about $2000 for a non turbo withi fairly high miles, $3000 for low miles, and about $3500 to $8000 for a turbo depending on mileage and how well it runs (or problems)

not cheap im sorry to say, at least in north america.

if you do get one and the extreme kit, you will need these items adise from the fiberglass body:
    -taillights as mentioned
    -other lights like side markers, turn signals, etc.. (headlights, i dunno, i presume MR2 ones are used)
    -hinges (unsure if kit includes them)
    -PAINT $$$$$$$$$$
    -rims and spacers depending on body width

im sure theres other things like emblems but they arent required
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Macktheknife please correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't a fiero with a V8 and a turbo mr2 be about the same price? I am not sure what they go for in the US.
    Yes, but the difference is for the same money you have a V8 with a large aftermarket, more horsepower, more torque, and better sound.

A 3S-GTE can be tuned but I personally would laugh at a 355 with blow off valves.

So the point in taking the fiero is having a better car for the same price.

EDIT: Also, I thought the Fiero based 355 was the better replica? The AD kit?

Ya a loud blow off valve on a 355 would be funny. You can quite them down a lot but you do still always have the sound of the turbo spooling up. I know it is just my personal preference but I like the mr2 better. Have owned both cars. I loved my Fiero but once I drove my mr2 I quickly forgot about the Fiero. Mind you my Fiero didn't have a V8 in it.

EDIT: Also, I thought the Fiero based 355 was the better replica? The AD kit?
    I have often wondered the same thing. Not sure. It would be great to see both side by side.

ive had both replica 355's on both cars and a mr2 is so much more refined,power everthing,ac/ power steering,can be tuned up ,especally a turbo mr2. for me it was about the look of a 355 and there was no chassis cutting wideing rear track arms etc to worry about with a mr2, but i do live in the uk where mr2's are cheap as chips!

Quote Originally Posted by disilva
    but i do live in the uk where mr2's are cheap as chips!
    what do you mean cheap? Around what is the cost?