Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why do all of us who buy replicas do this over and over again???

why do all of us who buy replicas do this over and over again???

i was wondering why we all buy a good replica and then after a year , then sell it???? it seems like no one actually keeps their cars .is there a reason for this? for example many lambo replica guys , well all of them drivies it a year and no longer wants it anymore. most buyers dont even buy another kit car at all . i wonder if they are having problems with the car or if they just got bored? anyone on this board who just sold their car? ???

Re: why do all of us who buy replicas do this over and over again???

i had a fiero factory 355 replica and as soon as i finished it i sold it,at the time the only 355 rplica was the fiero one and was getting around 20,000- 15,000, then BAD came out based on a rhd mr2 and the market fell for fiero lhd 355's, luckly i sold at the right time.
    alot of builders sometimes just build kits for the hobby aspect then move on to the next kit, maybe one thats harder to do etc

I really think it has to do with the costs involved. My first thought was when I bought my 355 body for $3500 with a fiero included that I could have a drivable "ferrari" for about $5000 over the weekend. Well, almost three years, and $35,000 later, I still do not have a finished car, and the only reason I want to finish is because I have all of that money invested and I know I wont ever get half of that back, so I may as well finish it.

Also, I think most of the fun is in the countless hours building a car from scratch. I spent about the same time and money rebuilding my Saleen cobra when it was issued a salvage title. Now that it is done and drivable I use it about 500 miles a year. I guess the novelty wore off :-\
    Now I can say "been there, done that" and it really doesn't have the same appeal.

Another thing might be that the car is not desired as much anymore. Three years ago I could only eat, breath, and sleep ferrari 355 stuff. Now I have my eyes on the 430 model. Maybe these Lambo guys spend so much time and money, then realize for about the same cash they could have had a Murci kit rather than the severely outdated countach.

That is all I can come up with.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

I still have the same donor Fiero under FunnyWheels III. I started FunnyWheels I in 1998 and used a Mirage body kit that simply was not refined enough for me. I looked too much like a kit but was the best available at the time.* I built it into FunnyWheels II after meeting John Watson and used several of his parts on the car to try to capture the correct look.* Still no joy even though I extended the wheelbase to the proper length.* The two years ago, I pulled out all of the stops on the body and built a 50/50 car using 50% Watson parts and 50% Ferrari parts.* I believe the car is very close today.* My neighbor has a 355 Spider and said to me the other day that "he was excited that I broke down and purchased a real 355" He drove by my house when the car was parked in front.*

I feel I have a keeper.* It runs very well with the 3800 5-speed in it.* I never built a top but complete the illusion with a very nice convertible top boot attached as if a top were under it neatly folded in place for a sunny ride to the beach.

I plan to keep it forever.

I even cleaned out the garage, painted the walls and waxed the car in it.* My wife is happy, I am happy and the neighbors are happy.* It is a great day in America!

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I am not sure what I am going to do with mine when I finish it. Mine has been in my gargae going on 5 years in October and is getting closer to being finished by the day. Maybe by the end of September, it will be ready to go to finish body working and get ready for paint. I have enjoyed the challenge of building he car, myself. Driving it is going to be great but I feel my biggest reward is going to be driving something I have re-engineered in many cases and built myself.

As a matter of fact, I am already doing preliminary research work to set up for a one off build once this one done and is a driver. Everyone needs a hobby and these body panels happen to be many of ours.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I think that kit car builders enjoy the building of the car and short enjoyment thereafter before getting itchy to begin a new kitcar project... My 360 MR2 is not even complete yet, (yet close to) but I already thinking of an EXTREME 355... just for fun...Superstang is correct...if you're thinking it's gonna cost you an amount, you might just as well triple or quadruple that amount....i suppose thats why EXTREME is doing well, because he offers a comprehensive and firm solution to a kitcar...

kitcarnut

my opinion only on why some people sell their Lambo replica.
    budget set for 20-25 k.and yes you can have it mobile for that$$.but then you'll see, there are better made and lot more real look a like replicas and now you feel bit of embarrass . Yeah everybody can tell IT'S a KIT CAR . ( I hate that word, since I spend 4 years to build my. what KIT everything was re made , refab rebuy etc.)
    I think what ever you build, hats down you did it all by your self.
    second opinion is CASH. under estimated build
    and # 3 ahhh the wife??? LOL

true but i see alot of high end lambos for sale such as the seacat 1 car, the red and orange kit by exocticglass.. i still wonder why? they are for sale for around 85-90k they look pretty nice too. :-\

frankly speaking, for that kind of money, I rather opt for a 911 carrera 4 or one like mines, CLK55 AMG Convertible. I get TONS of attention with my cab especially with my top down.I love the features it has, I love the ride, I love the comfort, I love the class, I simply love it...and I know I will not lose much when its time for resale. A lambo kit, on the other hand...it' buy for keeps. As supercar prices go down, I personally think the replica kitcar industry will shrink. Face it, currently the only exciting kitcar replica is the Extreme 355, 360 and the German 360. TG's diable is outdated, Naerc & Exotic glass's lambo is outdated and outpriced (you pick up a diablo pretty cheap these days), and the rest of the kit car builders project fails to materialise (due to financial constraints).

in a nutshell, if you got money to spare, buy a genuine supercar, its affordable..

Well, the real vehicles are affordable however the maintenance is the reason I won't purchase one. I got into this hobby about 2 years ago. I don't like building but like to purchase replicas that are about 80 to 90 percent completed then have them completed. My running stable includes the SL500 rebody of a Lebaron convertable recently on E-Bay, a Testarossa (bright yellow) that I purchased on E-Bay and had a 4.9L Caddy motor and trans installed along with a new Mr. Mikes interior, a 308 2.8L Turbo purchased from Roger Garrison on this board that I replaced the interior with Mr. Mikes leather. The non-complete cars are a Testarossa purchased from Texas, a 355 with a 3.8SC motor convertable that I am waiting on a wiring harness from Fast Fieros and parts from Ron at Fancy. I just love cars including muscle cars I have and these are all restored a 1984 numbers matching cross-fire Corvette, a 91 Vette and the 1st car I ever owned a 1965 Mustang that was a frame up restoration it now has a 351W stroker and pony interior, a 69 Camaro SS and a 67 Chevelle both restored with new crate engines and transmissions. Yes I also own a few new cars as well. I think it's the love of automobiles and my financial situation that allows me to at least pretend I am the Jay Leno of my small town. You just wouldn't want my insurance bill!
    Take care. Bill