Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raced a real 355

Raced a real 355

Today I rode down to Rancho Santa Fe just to check out the rich areas. As I went into the town area, a dark blue F355 Spider came up to a stop light. I turned and waited on the side of the road in my 2004 E-Blue SRT-4, and waited just to get a look at it. It passed and I followed it into a twisty hill area which was most likely this man's neighborhood. Following him at about 10MPH, he suddenly decides to stomp on it. I follow, staying very close to his rear bumper. It was a one lane road and I did not know the area at all. At certain points I noticed him just very confidently step on it as if he knew what was around the corner. I let off alot because I did not. After about 30 seconds of riding behind him, he decides to suddenly turn away and leave me dissappointed.

(This was actually my dad driving, not me. I was with him, however)

Now my question is, now that I have seen a real one, could anyone post some pictures of completed AD 355 Spider kits? I think this will give me a better idea of how accurate this kit is.

Also, what type of engine can I use to get good performance and a closer Ferrari sound? I know it would be impossible to replicate, but at least something that would fool most people.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:

I have one more question, which is about insurance. I am going to be 16 in December (not necessarily when I get my car) and insurance is already costly for young people. But with a kit, is insuring possible? Will it cost a fortune?

Re: Raced a real 355

i can tell you one thing (being 20 myself): you can't do it alone at that age.

it's far from cheap to even start, and insuring it will be a nightmare. you can literally count on $3500 a year or more for insurance.

however, here's what i can suggest. get your dad into it and do it through him. that's how i'm insuring my new MR2 for $220 a year, i go through my parents as an extra vehicle, a non-daily driver. if i insured it myself, it would cost about $2400 a year. you also can't handle the costs yourself by any means. getting a fiero will be within your budget if you have a regular job over summer and during the year, but the other $12 000 or so getting the kit and other necessary parts will be probably out of your league. if you do complete a replica, it will almost never be a daily driver for someone going to high school or college because you'll be afraid of someone keying or damaging your car (which does happen).

i've been down this road myself, i thought i could start a kit car project at 17. 3 years later, i'm working on the MR2 and hopefully will get around to putting a 355 body on it. it's a secondary car, and i'm very carefully going through my funds.

by the way, the tan and black interior is almost done over $23 later! ;D hah
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of a cheap Fiero for Christmas as a first car (along with SOME of my money to help pay) and then begin saving on the kit. All I really want is the exterior of a 355, I won't be parking this in too many public places so the interior wouldn't need to be done. Would that be possible for me?

Here is a photo of FunnyWheels III in front of my house. The body is Ferrari and Air Dynamics, wheels, all lighting and badging, Ferrari. Interior custom to resemble a 355 Ferrari. The only thing I changed was to make my car have center exhaust like the new Lambo's. I wanted to pull a custom trailer to the car shows and needed a place for the hitch. It is between the exhaust tips like the new Corvette's

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

rear

i wouldn't perticularly go for a cheap fiero, but a good one mechanically speaking. however, yes i think starting with a fiero will be a good beginning. it won't kill you financially, and parts are cheap and everywhere.
    after that you can gauge you budget and your madness. *
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

rear lights

FunnyWheels:

The front looks great, and the sides. Is the rear done? It's the only part that seemed off to me.

it's the challenge grill, probably not what you're used to seeing in street cars.

I didn't mean that, I just meant how it looked. Unfinished or something?