Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to take the plunge!

Ready to take the plunge!

I'm ready to take the plunge and build a car. I want to go a different route than most of you who started with a Fiero. I want to do an original design on a custom chassis. I like the 355s and 360s but I also like GT40s and Aston Martin DB7s. So as I begin to work through this I will need all the coments, complements and criticism I can get.

My basic rules I am laying out are:

My donor will be plentiful
    Most glass will come from current production car.(Primary donor if possible)
    Performance parts are easy to obtain
    Mid Engine
    Classic yet contemporary
    Smooth lines and elegant while it screems don't mess with me!

I have narrowed the donor down to a Ford Contour or Focus
    Both are plentiful and perfomance ready!

I think the wheel base needs to be between 100 and 104".

Here is a first sketch. Still needs work and it was done in Corel draw. I need a good cheap CAD system

Bill

Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Ready to take the plunge!

Err, you want a mid engine performance car so you are using a Front engined, FWD Ford for a base?

The MR2 is Mid-engine, rear wheel drive, has a 102" base (If i can remember correctly) and can take a 2JZ in the back. Which in turn can be tuned to handle 1000hp. Sound appealing? Even the stock 3S-GTE has been tuned to some massive numbers. We're talking 3-second range acceleration and pulling g's on a skidpad.

And, it's available everywhere, cheap, and fun stock.

If you want any help with the design phase I can help you churn out some concepts

Mack the Attack uses the Honda Accord drive system in the back and it is a FWD. By using a custom chassis it will not be any more of a problem than taking something like the Fiero or the Mr2........well ok maybe a little more problem. I think an easy system would be to use the Chrysler v6 with the longitudinal transaxle.

Mike

Theres no doubt in that, its just a matter of how much time and money do you want to spend / how much mechanical skill do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife
    Err, you want a mid engine performance car so you are using a Front engined, FWD Ford for a base?

The MR2 is Mid-engine, rear wheel drive, has a 102" base (If i can remember correctly) and can take a 2JZ in the back. Which in turn can be tuned to handle 1000hp. Sound appealing? Even the stock 3S-GTE has been tuned to some massive numbers. We're talking 3-second range acceleration and pulling g's on a skidpad.

And, it's available everywhere, cheap, and fun stock.

If you want any help with the design phase I can help you churn out some concepts

there is no way to put an inline 6 in an mr2. you would need to cut the chassis and stretch it some very large amount and get a porsche tranny with an adaptor plate. the 1993-1998 turbo have 240hp stock and can be tuned to 450hp, and thats the max the turbo tranny can take.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Forgive the Naysayers...Go for it Bill. I forget where I saw it, but I did see a rear drive platform using the Focus drivetrain. I think it was a GT40 rep, but I forget....Your initial sketch looks interesting, kind of Ferrari'ish.

Good luck...

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

The Ford Contour and Focus as well as the Honda use a forward offset FWD meaning the engine is forward of the transaxle. All suspension will transfer to the rear while eliminating the steering components.

Other options would be similar to the way that the Noble M12 uses the Ford Duratec with a Getrag transaxle.

Lonestar Classics has just released their Focus powered GT40 style "replica". I say style in the since that it looks GT40 to the untrained eye. The kit is $12K and Focus performance parts are abundant. It gets 25+ mpg to boot.

As for experience I have 11 years of body and frame experience and my family is in the Mustang restoration and salvage business. I look forward to the task. I know the cost won't be cheap for development but in the end it will be possible to duplicate it for others. You have to look at a project like this in an entreprenureal spirit!

Bill

I wasn't saying it wouldn't work, just that it would be an easier way to get a mid engine platform. With your experience you shouldn't have much of a problem.

So any suggestions as to a CAD system or someone to take some 2D sketches and do something with them?

Reading up on chassis design now.

Bill

It took me re-reading this three times to figure out what all the confusion is about. In the first paragraph he clearly says that he will have a custom chassis and I "assumed" that meant tubular. In the paragraph that starts with "My donor" I think some are reading that all that is to be found in the donor. The sentence just before tells us that the "basic rules" are waht follows.

Quote Originally Posted by bgullatt
    I'm ready to take the plunge and build a car. I want to go a different route than most of you who started with a Fiero. I want to do an original design on a custom chassis. I like the 355s and 360s but I also like GT40s and Aston Martin DB7s. So as I begin to work through this I will need all the coments, complements and criticism I can get. I don't know if this helped anyone understand this or not but it did me!

Mike

ps Bill what are you wanting to do with your cad. 2d or 3d. There are free versions for both and a couple of them are fairly easy to learn. Let me know what you are planning to do and I will point you in the right direction.

My basic rules I am laying out are:

My donor will be plentiful
    Most glass will come from current production car.(Primary donor if possible)
    Performance parts are easy to obtain
    Mid Engine
    Classic yet contemporary
    Smooth lines and elegant while it screems don't mess with me!

I have narrowed the donor down to a Ford Contour or Focus
    Both are plentiful and perfomance ready!

I think the wheel base needs to be between 100 and 104".

Here is a first sketch. Still needs work and it was done in Corel draw. I need a good cheap CAD system

Bill