Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countach on eBay... History? Worth it?

Countach on eBay... History? Worth it?

Hello, Noob here...

I've been looking to pickup a Countach kit for some time, and I know I should have consulted with you guys first, but I just found this forum. I bought this one on eBay (yeah, I know... my fingers are crossed) and am heading over to bring it home. What do you think? Does anyone know it's history? Comments (don't be too brutal )

Thanks in advance!
    Curt

Here's the link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Re: Countach on eBay... History? Worth it?

is it built on a tube chassis? the photos don't show much.

sorry i cant help much but i wish you luck on getting it done and on the road. i've never seen a buick GN engine used before in a kit car.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

According to the PO it's a tube frame, but you're right... the pics don't show much of the frame. The additional ones I got from him show more detail, and it definitely isn't a fiero under there. My initial exposer to the kit car world was a Sebring I recently sold. I was getting deeper and deeper into it and figured if I were going to put that much effort into a car, it would be a Countach Replica. This one just happened to 'pop up' recently. I hadn't been able to locate a decent one under $10k for the past few years. In fact I believe I bid on this one a couple of years ago :-\ Is there a way to determine who's kit this is? Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be a few weeks 'till I get it home. My only way of transporting it is too narrow (have to contract with an auto shipper I guess). Looking forward to sharing knowledge with you all!

the fact is that almost no kit manufacturer stamps their name on their products, so you can't just 'run the numbers' or google up their name for a history of the car or kit. your best hope is to bring it to a show or if you get lucky and get a manual of some kind on the kit. with a body that old you will be fairly out of luck getting replacement parts, so plan on modifying, scratch building, and fixing quite a few parts that need finishing.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Thanks for the info! Obviously the first thing to fabricate will be to fix the lights, but I'm one of those who wouldn't have as much self satisfaction driving a turn key (there's got to be some sweat involved ) I was actually hoping someone on here might recognize it and have some history for me. One thing I'm on the fence about is whether or not to try and make it as close to the real thing or not. The techno geek in me wants bring the interior up to the 21st century and add some addition 'features'.

BTW... Any Hoosiers out there?

kitcarnut

HI, it looks like Macs or IFG first body kit whith some mods on front bumper. what is the wheel base?? are you sure that it a full tube frame or just add on rear of a Fiero? do you know what kind of rear and front suspension is it,incase you'll needto replace some parts

in my opinion : I would not do any major surgery to make it look like a real Countach. It will cost you lot of money and time.enjoy driving it and if you are not happy then resell it. there are some good deal on Ebay time to time on 5000 and 25th Replicas that are very close to real Lambo.
    the money you paid I think is worth it. (10K??) take care

There's a Fiero under there. I can see the rear window sill and Fiero deck hinge mounting points. D&R replicars did an Anniversary Countach with a GN 3.8 and TH325, it was featured in Kit Car like 8 or 10 years ago.

Now we're getting somewhere...* * Thanks rockcrawl! (you too kitcarnut )* I still don't have it here yet, so I can't do any in depth analysis.* Given the lead time needed for an auto transport, and my schedule, it looks like it's going to be a few weeks.

BTW... If anyone has the D&R article in their archives (or knows where I could find one), I would love a copy.

Just to make sure I was clear, yours is not a D&R body kit. I'm sure I have the old magazine somewhere. That car was owned by Rick of D&R so it got a lot of publicity. The engine conversion was done by Greg of Fiero Concepts in Wildwood Florida, he was known for the longitudinal conversions and even sold parts to do it, but the last time I talked to him was about 8 years ago. I have a little bit of info about the longitudinal swaps on my website: http://www.fieroaddiction.com/SBCLa.html

Here is a good intake and carburetor set up you can install on the engine.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.