Thread: 288 GTO wannabe from a Mera/308 kit

288 GTO wannabe from a Mera/308 kit

I could not sleep last night so I came out and messed around with some ideas I have for the next project should I ever finish the first one off..... :

I am debating between a Pantera look alike that I can get panels for , a Ferrari 288 GTO or a one off complete scratch built. I am leaning toward the 288 GTO as I can start off with a 308 kit and dice and slice it to make the proper dimensions and shapes of the GTO rather than going ground up. TI like the Pantera as well and I am watching how the feloow over on Pennocks' web site is doing with his chop top Pantero project. It is looking good so far.

I may still go with a complete frame build like the fellow over on Pennock's. He is going to give anyone who wants the CAD files of the frame so I can start there. Maybe just use the Fiero front end and make a custom cradle for a longitudinal 3400 DOHC with Audi trans. Who knows. As I near the end of my current build, I am starting to think about the next one.

Regardless of what the underneath looks like, I have played around with what would be needed for a 308 kit to GTO conversion. I had some photos of a 308 kit here in Calgary so took one and started chopping it up.

The first thing I did was lower the roof section by about 2". The Fiero roof portion is too high and makes the kits off shape to me. I then guessed at about a 5" stretch behind the doors and behind the side scoop. I had to adjust the angle of the rear sail panels after that.

I made a bad attempt at a front air dam like the GTO but that will need some work. I also replaced the stock Fiero wheels with my rims off my current project.

What needs to be done next on the side view is to put the rear spoiler in place, redo the front air dam and put the sharks vents in the rear quarter panel. I have some of those panels but I do not know how to set the colour of the vents I cut out of a red GTO to match the yellow of the 308.

Actually, if anyone knows how to change the colour completely in Photoshop or can direct me to site that explains it, that would be great. I want to experiment with colour choices for both my current project as well as the next one.

You can see from the comparison pic I have attached, it turns out not bad. I just want to change up the colour and finish off the last few pieces and then start on a front and rear set of pics for the flares and front differences.

Comments and ideas welcome.

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: 288 GTO wannabe from a Mera/308 kit

Hi all,

I say you should do the 288 GTO, there soooooo much cooler than a Pantera, and more rare....hint hint..........
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

considering you can get a pantera for $17k, i personally would look for a cheap real one if i was going to do a build or restoration of a pantera. thats still alot of $$ though.

in your case i would go for the 288GTO. scratch building is very hard expensive and usually not very rewarding in the end in terms of $$ spent. the GTO should be fairly straight forward and modifying the lip should be quite easy from my experience (i'm finishing up custom fabbing a lip for my MR2). don't forget the 3 vents on the quarter panels, 308s didnt have that..
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Yeah;

I was thinking the same thing as you guys for the Pantera. I really like them though.

Anyway, AutoMX, how do I colour swap in Photoshop? I want to change the yellow to other colours to see how they turn out and look. I probably won't be going with the traditional Rossa red on my 355 nor the next one so I was wondering how to take swatches from one picture and transfer them to an entire car. I looked through help and it did no good for me.

I like the lines that were created by lowering the roof and extending the rear a bit. Actually, just lowering the roof a couple inches really makes all the difference in the 308 as well. I have been following the fellow in Texas that used to be on here, txpoint or 355spider, I think his name is now. He has set up a possible group buy of glass side windows for a 3" chop top for the Pennock's folks. He paid for the tooling, some $1200.00 or so US and then each side glass is going to be around $200.00 US each I think. Pretty nice offer as far as I am concerned. Don't think I want to go down a full 3" though as that might be too low.

I attached a pic where I put my rims on the stock Mera and lowered the roof the 2". With and without rims. I Like the larger rims and lower stance but the 2" drop alone helps a lot.

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

RT;

Thank you very much for those links. I'll mess with it tonight. It looks way easier than I thought it would be.

Regards
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don, quit screwing around and finish that car...

OPM2000's Pantero with the wide body setup is pretty slick. (I watch that thread, too)

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Bob;

I hear you on that one. I seem to be at a bit of a stall right now as I don't have the motivation to get out to the garage to get at the dash. I am finding other things to do instead. I think I just needed a couple weeks away from it to regroup and sort out my plan for the finishing stretch and now to get back to it.

My new Software company is now starting to really get going so that will pull me away from the car as well. I was hoping to have mine done by this Fall but it looks like I will have a Spring unveiling instead.

But, yeah, yeah, I am getting back to it. ;D

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV