Thread: Why do you figure?

Why do you figure?

Why do you think there was never any Maranello kits and why there most likely wont be any Scaglietti kits? Do people not find these cars exotic enough to duplicate?

Re: Why do you figure?

I would love to have a 550 or 575 replica. I think it has something to do with finding the right donor car and getting the molds made. Just ask Extreme or John Watson about the building costs to make a kit. You would have to obtain the actual ferrari body panels. Make molds off of them, modify the molds to backfit to the choosen donor car, and fabricate a set of panels. This process could take at least a year and $100,000.

In order to sell kits they must be priced fairly(about $6000) and at that price you are just barely making it worth your time. You would have to sell 2000 body kits to break even.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Yea thats prob the main reason, but I would sure love to get my hands on a 575 GTC or even better the FXX Prototype :

automx done a ghost image of a 550 over a toyota supra and they match very well, do a search for it

generally speaking people like rear engined replicas because they are unusual and feel sporty.
    the reason why no one has done one is because its no small investment. its alot of work to do one from scratch and $15 000 to get the real panels. it certainly can be done for far less than $100 000 but you risk losing quality. molds can be made for $3000, but their thickness and quality are questionable. scratch building would work better for a unibody car since stretching and adjusting it to the original size can be quite tricky and potentially disasterous.

it comes down to the same thing though. talk is cheap, but making something happen is not and takes alot of dedication. if i came up to you tomorrow with a kit for $6500 for a 575, would you bust out the wallet right away? most likely no. and when people say they need to think about it, or that they need to get out of financial difficulties, etc, it's a very bad and discouraging sign for the guy who just put down a huge amount of money and time to make it happen.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

It's Mega Work!!!! Go back a page or two to the Ferrari Daytona Spyder post,I was building my EXACT replica before Miami Vice was on the air!! even though I had splash molds off a real daytona coupe,and a real spyder rear clip,it took me 18 Months before I made the molds off my Yellow car
    in the pics!!!!We built a bunch of Turn-key cars in the $35-55k range so it was worthwhile to build the turn-keys,but the only reason I did it in the first place was to make a spyder for myself,once the prototype was built it was not a big deal to make a set of molds to make more,now for some crazy
    reason people want cars built again,even though the red one in the picture form" Daytona Blaine"was
    built in the 90's,and the coupe I sold to" Daytona Coupe"that I'm finishing now was started in 94,there seems to be people again that want a true replica of a Daytona vs.a MIAMI VICE CAR
    Mike ;D ???

thats probably due to popular trends and fashion. many people didnt know the enzo before charlies angels (no idea which one) featured one. ferris bueller and other similar movies/shows got people to know some exotics, but when people forget the movies, the popularity of the car to many seems to drop (i sure wouldnt forget them). people are strange
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    generally speaking people like rear engined replicas because they are unusual and feel sporty.
    the reason why no one has done one is because its no small investment. its alot of work to do one from scratch and $15 000 to get the real panels. it certainly can be done for far less than $100 000 but you risk losing quality. molds can be made for $3000, but their thickness and quality are questionable. scratch building would work better for a unibody car since stretching and adjusting it to the original size can be quite tricky and potentially disasterous.

it comes down to the same thing though. talk is cheap, but making something happen is not and takes alot of dedication. if i came up to you tomorrow with a kit for $6500 for a 575, would you bust out the wallet right away? most likely no. and when people say they need to think about it, or that they need to get out of financial difficulties, etc, it's a very bad and discouraging sign for the guy who just put down a huge amount of money and time to make it happen.
    I lucked out making the Exact Daytona Replicas Because I could not sell them as Kits!! I had to build them as Turn-keys only,as I have jigs that hold the doner car's windshield frame and doors in place while they are spliced into the c-3 or 4 Corvette,no way to supply those with a kit.Most $5-6000 kits actually have about
    a $1500 profit in them,$1000 worth of Fiberglass and gelcoat,metal parts and subframes to attach parts,trim parts that have to be replicated if you are trying to make an exact replica,(I had Daytona door handles cast
    from Stainless steel,then polished,5 inch diameter tachs and speedos made with chrome bezels,silkscreened to look like the real gauges)add to that your basic overhead,rent,heat,lights,employees,etc.and there isn't that much profit!! I've been making kits since 1986,if you only have one or two in production,and don't sell at least a few a month,you AIN"T PAYIN THE BILLS!! add to that the problem of bringing something to market then having the first few kits you make splashed,then you are in competion with yourself!! what people don't realize,is that the first copy of a kit is not as straight as the kit it was copied from,as all fiberglass "moves" as it
    cures,now someone splashes a second generation kit because it was cheaper to buy than the original,and so on,until people are buying 3rd or 4th generation kits where the parts finally get so distorted they take a zillion hours to make look right or don't even fit at all!!! And the Kit car industry as a whole gets the bad rap,in the 80's there were over 150 kit manufactures,of that group about 40 of us are still around!!
    Mike ???

Quote Originally Posted by MADMIKE
    what people don't realize,is that the first copy of a kit is not as straight as the kit it was copied from,as all fiberglass "moves" as it
    cures,now someone splashes a second generation kit because it was cheaper to buy than the original,and so on,until people are buying 3rd or 4th generation kits where the parts finally get so distorted they take a zillion hours to make look right or don't even fit at all!!! And the Kit car industry as a whole gets the bad rap,in the 80's there were over 150 kit manufactures,of that group about 40 of us are still around!!
    Mike ???
    That is exactly what my IFG cloned 355 was like. Who knows how many hands it has been through before I got it.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions