Thread: Reparing titl steering column

Reparing titl steering column

If any one has had to tighten the 4 bolts inside the steering column, I need to know what the long steel rod on the left hand side goes to?? I can post a photo if that will help. Thanks.

Re: Reparing titl steering column

Erm ??? ??? If you are talking about a fiero then i may be able to help. A photo would be handy so I can tell what exactly you are talking about. I have a tilt column sat on my workbench that was left over from when the top section sheared off on my car.

Its actually quite interesting trying to drive with a wheel that not only turns normally but also has nothing stopping it moving sideways or up and down!! Luckily I wasnt going too fast!

Post a pic & possibly a slightly more detailed description & Im sure someone will be able to help if I cant.
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

I think you are talking about the rod that controls the hi-lo beam switch. It is located between the turn signal lever and the dimmer switch switch. If you were not paying attention when you took it apart then you have some figuring out to do.
    It has a curved end that allows the dimmer to work when the wheel is tilted in any position.
    If you are really stuck, visit an auto wrecker and take one apart but pay attention during the process. You don't even need to buy anything. All those 80's style steering columns were mostly the same.
    Good Luck
    Jim

Thanks guys, I do believe it is connected to the high/low headlight beams. I didnt pay close enough attention to that particular part when I dismantled it. There is nothing in any service manual about that particular part, OUCH.

I will see if mine is still connected on the one i have on the bench & get you a photo.
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

Thanks drew that would be awsome......

I have a shortened steering column and the hi/lo switch works off of a rod connected to it. I am having trouble getting the turn signals to work now that I have reinstalled the column. No power to the lights, all fuses are good, all wires are connected to the lights. Any suggestions?

The emergency flashers work fine.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Do you mean you are having trouble getting the headlights to work or the turn signal?

If its the turn signal, have you checked the flasher unit under the dash? I think the turn lights and hazard flashers use a different flasher unit since they will be flashing a different number of lights.

I had bother with mine, sounds a crude method but I tapped/hit the unit with a screwdriver head whilst the indicator was on & it seemed to release the switch inside & allow the lights to flash.

I am sure there is a more scientific method of testing it but if all your connections are made properly & you have the correct wattage & number of bulbs (I had to retain one on each side hidden behind the rear panel to get the right wattage for my uk set up) then I can only think that the flasher unit is faulty.

Hope this helps

Dont know if you have already managed to sort it out. Didnt get to download the pic till today sorry

Hope it helps - let me know if you need any more from different angles.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

drew, Your photo is exactly what I need to see. Some how during the process I have pulled my rod out of the housing about 3". about where the bend is , Now I can clearly see how it is suppose tp go back.....Thank you for your assistance, BOOMER