Thread: Anyone thought of using the buick V6turbo??

Anyone thought of using the buick V6turbo??

The buick GNX was faster than the corvette,and thats with an original engine.
    I've heard of guys getting upwards of 700HP with this V6,of coarse thats had alot of work done to it but a buick V6 turbo with 450-500 seems easy enough,plus you wouldn't have the american V8 noise as some seem to hate in thier lambo,ferarri kit cars.....
    plus you would have more room to fit it in.either with a stock fiero trans or porsche trans.
    any ideas on why this isn't a more common engine swap??
    mark.
    Aussie living in canada.<br />

Re: Anyone thought of using the buick V6turbo??

Why it isn't more common? The GNX is pretty rare. The GN and Regal turbos are more common, but still not something you see every day. Plus the fact that is requires an adapter to bolt to a Fiero transaxle. D&R replicars built a Countach with a GN engine and a TH425 trans, I have a few pics of it. I've also seen some pics of one mated to a Fiero trans.

Well, that is exactly what I am building, a 3.8 turbo.(there is a big difference between the 3.8 and the 3800 blocks) I restore and sell Grand Nationals as a hobby.I am using a FWD block out of an 87 bonneville (87 FWD 3.8 block with the VIN code #3 has the roller cam setup too) The FWD 3.8 block will boltup right up to the Fiero trans, I am using the heads, intake and exhaust manifolds of the actual GN motor. The crank in the GN and FWD 3.8 block are very similar, they are both the journals are fillet rolled. the rods are the same. You have to get forged pistons or stock GN replacement pistons. I am also putting on steel main caps the middle two only (for additional strength). They make those for GNs and you can use those on the FWD 3.8 block. Only the exhaust manifolds I have to make few adjustments, I have to bolt them backwards.I will be using stock or slightly bigger turbo from a GN. IC will have to be fabricated (no big deal) I will running a 5 speed getag right now I don't think it is going to hold but we will see. Auto is the way to go for a turbo but where have you seen a auto Diablo? I am looking to make 400+hp and 500+lbs, get about 24-26 mpg or more (my GN runs 10.70's @124mph and still gives me 24mpg & the car weighs 3800lbs)I am looking to run 20-24 psi with 93octane/ alky or propane injection, DFI for fuel management. If the trans holds up great if not either Audi trans or some thing stronger. ;D

What do they sound like??more american like a 350??or more exotic??
    If you use a porsche or audi trans in a diablo kit and use the V6 you'd have alot more space between the front of the engine and firewall...sounds like a better way to go.
    mark.
    Aussie living in canada.<br />

They do not sound like a 350. they have their own unique sound you can say exotic with a grunt sound to it. When you drive around with no boost (-15-0) vacuum the car is very quiet compare to the 350's.All the exhaust will have to go through the exhaust housing of the turbo before it goes through the cat and the muffler this quites the car alot. I always run open exhaust after the turbo, it's fun, you realy can here the turbo wind up and down.There are plenty of times I have driven next cops with open exhaust with out any problems. *I also run a high stall converter (3500stall Art carr 9" ) that makes it louder with looseness of the converter . When you get on it, watch-out. Also when you hit full boost , (what ever boost you set it for), the waste gate opens and if you are running an external waste gate it the car will hiss even more. it sounds like a jet on steroids.When I blow the *doors off other cars they will come and ask me, is that V12. I'll just tell them "it's a lil ol six". Of course I have to pop the hood and show them. these are the people that have no clue about Grand Nationals. They think it is a black Monty SS. : If you have a manual trans behind it you will hear the blow-off valve releasing the boost that would be backing up each time you shift, It sounds really cool.I have two Fieros, I may do one with the Getrag and the other with the Audi trans. I don't even know where or what kind of Audi trans I should look for.

The V8s found in the later SHO's sound really good-nice raspy sound. Cheap, too