Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when selling my 355 should I

when selling my 355 should I

sell it with the 4.9 or put back a original duke? I just wonder if I sell the car would it really make a difference if it has the 4.9 or a Duke? If not I would just assume put the duke in it and keep the 4.9 setup. I'm also thinking about putting the Fiero interior back in because I just don't know if it really makes that much difference or not. What is the experience of others that have sold their kit cars? I need to sell something I just have to many toys and not enough time to enjoy them or Finnish them totaly and believe it or not I prefer driving my Chop top Fiero more. My 355 just seems huge now and I don't drive it every day like I do the Fiero so it needs to go. Also what is the best time of year around April?

Re: when selling my 355 should I

Word of advice...

Forget about selling ANYTHING right before the Holidays (anything expensive that is) 'cause people have no money of toy cars...After the Holidays is the same story - No money! and on top all that the weather sucks here in the NE....So wait , if you can, for early spring and in the meantime improve your car cosmetically if you have the time...Generally speaking, if you don't HAVE to sell now wait for spring so you can get your price.

As for putting the old, tired engine back on your kit car, it would depend on how much are you selling it and if your 4.9 is worth money....Personally, if zi was a buyer, I would pay extra $$ for a bigger motor on any replica but the authentic interior is what makes or breaks a good-looking replica...It's all in the details!! The bigger motor is nice to have but the authentic-looking interior mekes the car complete....You can stuff a V8 in a kit car but most people see the crappy Fiero interior and walk away much less impressed...

If it was me selling a replica I wouldn't change anything...Why bother with putting back the original motor, wiring, cooling etc?? it's way too much work for nothing to save a few bucks....Unless you plan to use the 4.9 motor for another project...Just leave everything as is and see what you can get....The bottom line is that you will NEVER get your money back for doing the engine upgrade and interior chance...Nobody ever does....I hope you didn't spend too much on those upgrades.

Happy Holidays

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Quote Originally Posted by goyal99
    Word of advice...

Forget about selling ANYTHING right before the Holidays (anything expensive that is) 'cause people have no money of toy cars...After the Holidays is the same story - No money!* and on top all that the weather sucks here in the NE....So wait , if you can, for early spring and in the meantime improve your car cosmetically if you have the time...Generally speaking, if you don't HAVE to sell now wait for spring so you can get your price.

As for putting the old, tired engine back on your kit car, it would depend on how much are you selling it and if your 4.9 is worth money....Personally, if zi was a buyer, I would pay extra $$ for a bigger motor on any replica but the authentic interior is what makes or breaks a good-looking replica...It's all in the details!!* *The bigger motor is nice to have but the authentic-looking interior mekes the car complete....You can stuff a V8 in a kit car but most people see the crappy Fiero interior and walk away much less impressed...

If it was me selling a replica I wouldn't change anything...Why bother with putting back the original motor, wiring, cooling etc??* it's way too much work for nothing to save a few bucks....Unless you plan to use the 4.9 motor for another project...Just leave everything as is and see what you can get....The bottom line is that you will NEVER get your money back for doing the engine upgrade and interior chance...Nobody ever does....I hope you didn't spend too much on those upgrades.*

Happy Holidays

VK
    I do plan on waiting till April to sell and I have Nissan interior that looks awesome with 200mph speedo and gages that look pretty authentic the car is gorgeous I had one guy that had a friend that has a real 355 spider and he looked at my car one day and told me he thought my Ferrari looked better than his friends. My 4.9 is awesome and I really love this motor. I am putting a 3800 Super Charged engine in my Chop Top but I'm worried I will not like it compared to my 4.9 so I was thinking if having it running but not with the 4.9 would not get me any more money I might as well keep it. My Chop Top has a good running 2.5 five speed in it so I was thinking I could swap them as a plug and play no cost to me. I also know the less extras the cheaper the car so the more that can afford it. I would sell as a rolling chassis if I could it does not matter to me I have three cars and two motorcycles and one car has to go and one motorcycle has to go thatís all. It is not a money issue just a room issue. So I should keep the Nissan interior in it but the motor does not make that big of difference is that the conclusion? I have never had anyone look at this car and ask if it was a kit and when I fire it up they all smile so it must sound good too. I just do not want to give away a good 4.9 swap that is all.

The V8 will add to the asking price. no one will want a replica with the Duke. 4.9's are pretty cheap anyway and not that difficult to install if you want to do it again in the future.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

I have to agree with most leave the 4.9L in the replica. It will bring you more money in the end. When I bought Dave Held's 355 I bought it because he had the slalom suspension, 13" Corvette brake upgrades with the proper track width and a 3800NA motor. It was a fairly easy swap for my mechanic to put in the Series2 3800SC and 4T65E-HD transmission. I only wish my Testarossa kit had come with the 4.9 and suspension that I added. I would have paid considerably more for it with those modifications/improvements. Same goes for my 308 that I bought off of Roger Garrison here on the forum, it's now at the Fiero Factory getting the 4.9L conversion. As far as comparing the 3800SC to the 4.9L the 3800SC would blow the 4.9L away if I could get the tires to hook up on the 355. Again I would leave the car as is you will definately get more if the conversion was done correctly, same with the interior upgrades. Take care. Bill

Well I guess I will leave it all is done right and I used the Fiero Factory harness so it has no spliced wires. I am running a Kevlar clutch and it hooks up I have been in a 3800SC car and I think stock 4.9 V 3800SC is close The good about the 3800SC is you can mod it to a lot of HP the 4.9 is not much more than stock. I have the AC and all working with so many other goodies the car was built right. You are right there are a lot of 4.9s out there but it is getting hard to find a low millage good one and I guess I just hate to give this one up it runs so good.

I can understand not wanting to part with a low mileage 4.9L. The one in my Testarossa replica only has 23K on it. I had to settle for a 63K 4.9L motor for the 308 replica. The Testarossa replica has a 50hp NOS shot but I've only used it twice. I would hate to damage such a low mileage 4.9 Take care. Bill

You can listen to suggestions, in the end it's how you feel. A duke under the hood will really hurt your sale price. But factor in how much your 4.9L cost you to do. You sell it with the duke for cheaper, but you get to keep your motor investment. With the duke, most prospective buyers will want to put another engine in anyways.

I'm sure whatever decision you arrive at will be the right one.

but why not get a v6 and put it in there? it's not like it will cost much, and there's no sacrific in 4.9 or the selling price.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

What's the HP and torque stock figures versus the Fiero stock V6 engine?? Anybody knows??

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!