Thread: Those with spyders.......look in here, please..........

Those with spyders.......look in here, please..........

HI all,

Bout how much room is taken up by the top, when its down of course......??*

edit:* Guys do you think that there is room to place a motorized version of the top??? Also, esp. those with the extended windshield, would it work, the ext. windshield, with a choptop?? V8 Archie does chop tops now, in case someone didn't know........ If I were to do it, I think I would chop off an inch first, and go from there ya know..........
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Re: Those with spyders.......look in here, please..........

I built a fully hydraulic power top for my spyder.. The pump sits just behind the driver seat in the engine bay, "hidden" and the cylinders
    are attached where the quarter panels are cut out. I built two Aluminum trays that sit into this area and allow the cyliders to fold down into them. powder coated black and very clean.I almost forgot to mention.. I shortened the rear deck lid 4" to allow more room for the top. this way the top can be down and you can still open the engine cover.

Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

HI all,

Do you have any video of the top in action?? Again though, how much space is lost when the top folds behind the seats??
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

My design doesn't fit behind the seats like the OEM does. this is why i shortened the rear deck lid 4". The header sits on top of the rear firewall and the bulk of the frame and the hydraulic cylinders fit into the quarters. in a recessed tray I built.. It is not fully auto like the OEM style, you have to push up just a bit to get it unattached from the windsheild frame but other than that it folds from there by itself. I can't post pics but i can email the top frame if you'd like.
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I have been thinking of a motorized top for FunnyWheels. But the car is so small, why bother with the extra hassle. Like a Miata, just reach back and pull it up. I had one design that could of been powered and did fold snuggly behind the full length deck lid. There is a 3 inch space between the seats and the fire wall. The key is to have the top bows fold forward and the header tuck just under the cockpit side of the deck lid. The header is the thickest part. The canvas folded up just fine on the proto type.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.