Thread: Crossfire/Mercedes kit?!

Crossfire/Mercedes kit?!

Hey, I saw a Chrysler Crossfire and a Mercedes convertable on the road the other day and I thought, why not do a Crossfire to Mercedes kit? As I understand it they already share platforms and many parts.

Re: Crossfire/Mercedes kit?!

the crossfire is a rebodied merc, i believe the old SLK, it's made in germany by mercedes, and its value will make it affordable soon, there would be no point.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

are you going to chop up a crossfire?? I'll drive it as is!!

they say it has a horrible gearbox but it's still a merc. besides it wouldn't be worthwhile to buy and convert to something thats only slightly more expensive.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

i agree'' auto

i think withthe labour and hte kit and the time and all that involved, you would pay more than just buying the new SLK...

if they brought out the crossfire on a larger platform i think it wouldve sold huge. i liked it when i saw it in print but just too damn small in person.
    White Fugazzi Bentley Supersport Convertible GTC

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    the crossfire is a rebodied merc, i believe the old SLK, it's made in germany by mercedes, and its value will make it affordable soon, there would be no point.
    My point was just that you could get a very low-mile Crossfire salvage or something, and then do the conversion, keeping the interior, which would still be nice and new. And the engine/trani would be like new. Everything on an older SLK would be worn, plus the replacement parts are more than MOPAR... Anyway I was just musing, but from the "hits" it seemed like a lot of guys were curious.

As to the labor/cost, it seems that not really the issue for a lot of guys. I think they'd rather build it themselves, whatever the cost. Some guys put 30K into a kit and then have to turn around and sell it for 5 or 6--this isn't really an cost-benefit crowd, you know?

as far as personal projects go, i never shoot down an idea unless its dangerous or otherwise alarming. this just sounded like a suggestion for a kit that was supposed to sell. for one car, a salvage crossfire isnt hard to imagine (spare parts are still mercedes even with the american name) but expecting everyone to find one as a basis for the kit would be madness. people had a hard time getting a $11 000 MR2 (minimum price at the time) so in reality very few people have money for a $5000+ donor

the reason why people go over $30k on a project is because it's not all at once and the car is always driveable whether you get OEM mirrors over replica ones or replace the interior instead of the fiero one, either way you have something like 2 years to spread that $30k.

i'm sure if dave knew that the new FunnyWheels would rack up about $45k in costs, he wouldn't have just jumped carelessly, but bit by bit, it becomes an obsession* ;D

PS: the crossfire has terrible trunk access, lots of space but the opening to put the stuff in is pretty small.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX

the reason why people go over $30k on a project is because it's not all at once and the car is always driveable whether you get OEM mirrors over replica ones or replice the interior instead of the fiero one, either way you have something like 2 years to spread that $30k.
    You are right AutoMX the key is to be able to drive the car an enjoy it some while some of the small details get done other wise you lose interest ,even starting with a stock running engine an upgrading later as long as you get to do some driving , even if its just around your home town* :P *
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!